Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
iOS 13 Beta Discussion Thread

We needed a thread specifically for discussing the new iOS 13 while in Beta.

Last edited by OtinG; 06-05-2019 at 02:22 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This article named "iOS 13 Will Let You Silence Unknown Callers to Help Combat Pesky Calls" is good news. (Title says it all...)

Quote:
Silence Unknown Callers is a new setting in iOS 13, which, when turned on, will use Siri intelligence to allow calls to ring your phone only when the calling number is found in your Contacts, Mail, or Messages apps. It will automatically send all other calls to voicemail. This will help users avoid spam and telemarketing calls. If the feature description is any indication, all non-recognised numbers will not even ring, thus providing an uninterrupted experience to the iPhone users.
It is about friggin' time we got this!

This is really good since most spam calls never leave messages. With the elections returning next year, that might change though. I currently have a Contact named "Ignore" which has hundreds of numbers from unwanted callers. I then blocked "Ignore" from receiving calls therein. I also assigned a faint chime as the default call ring for any unknown callers. If this new feature actually works, I can get rid of most of the "Ignore" contact's numbers. However, I do think I'll keep that blocked contact as a place to put repeat offenders numbers.

Last edited by OtinG; 06-05-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Demo of mouse support (works with Magic Trackpad also):

https://mobile.twitter.com/stroughto...53636145590273
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Demo of mouse support (works with Magic Trackpad also):

https://mobile.twitter.com/stroughto...53636145590273
Basicaly the support is a simulated finger. Apparently there is little support beyond that. Probably no right-click for menus, etc. Hopefully they will add more mouse functionality in the future.

If they created a powerful iPad with true built-in mouse support, maybe they could better compete with devices like the Microsoft Surface Pro and have it become a middle ground between iPads of today and MacBook Pros. I can see such a device replacing the MacBook Air.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Afaik, mouse is an accessibility feature at the moment. Even with how limited it is, I’d be very happy to have the feature. Reaching out to the display all the time when using the iPad 12.9 with keyboard on a desk is tiring.

I can’t wait for the iPadOS/iOS 13 public beta. On that note, I probably should buy a Lightning to USB adapter.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I don't want spam calls going to my voice mail, that just confirms they called a working number. 99% of spam calls I get now are spoofing my own area code and first three numbers of my phone number. If they aren't in my contacts, I reject the call.

I reject them immediately when they pop up on my Apple Watch or iPhone. If it is someone who really needs to get a hold of me, they can text me, or email me.

Repeat spam calls are added to my SPAM contact, but that rarely happens anymore.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #7
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Afaik, mouse is an accessibility feature at the moment. Even with how limited it is, I’d be very happy to have the feature. Reaching out to the display all the time when using the iPad 12.9 with keyboard on a desk is tiring.

I can’t wait for the iPadOS/iOS 13 public beta. On that note, I probably should buy a Lightning to USB adapter.
I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 11” laptop running Win 10 with touch screen. I almost never use the touch screen when in laptop mode for the reason you mentioned. Thankfully it has full mouse support. Once you attach a keyboard to an iPad the touch screen becomes a colossal PITA too use and you really need mouse support. Partial support is a welcomed beginning, but they really need to give it full mouse support IMO.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:41 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 11” laptop running Win 10 with touch screen. I almost never use the touch screen when in laptop mode for the reason you mentioned. Thankfully it has full mouse support. Once you attach a keyboard to an iPad the touch screen becomes a colossal PITA too use and you really need mouse support. Partial support is a welcomed beginning, but they really need to give it full mouse support IMO.
Agreed. It is compounded by the fact that many iPad app developers don’t bother to create useful keyboard shortcuts. Hopefully, they will follow the lead of Safari and Files and start thinking about it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:34 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don’t think I’ve ever had a spam call on my mobile phone. I’m pretty sure that making such calls is illegal in Britain.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:35 AM   #10
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don’t think I’ve ever had a spam call on my mobile phone. I’m pretty sure that making such calls is illegal in Britain.
Lucky you! Here in the U.S. (N.Y.), we get as many as four calls a day on the home phone and two on the cell. Seniors are a particularly attractive target for scammers and sales - my mom (87 years old) gets even more calls on a bad day.
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately here in the US the government has been taking a more or less hands off approach. They created a No Call List years ago which you can register your phone numbers with (cellular and land-line), but they have no realistic way to enforce it, and so it has never been effective. The Big Phone companies seem to resist controls to help curb it. We are treated like unwanted stepchildren when it comes to consumer protection in this country. I know in my state (Texas) the agencies designed to protect we mere mortals are pretty much owned by Big Oil, Big Phone, Big Insurance, Big Business in general. By owned I mean there are payoffs through huge campaign contributions and other means. Basically, in the USA the government believes in deregulation of almost everything, and that typically results in "we the people" getting the short end of the stick. And you can use your imagination as to where that stick gets shoved!

Last edited by OtinG; 06-06-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
The big problem in the US is that spammers can move around very easily, plus many are actually based outside the US. Since the caller id shown is rarely the actual phone number of the person call in that situation, it's pretty hard to track down who is actually calling.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
In Australia we have a government site called Donotcall, and its pretty effective for local spammers. However, theres no way to control spammers calling in from outside the country because theres no way to enforce it. Also, charities and political parties are exempt from having to obey the list. I no longer have a landline, and only use mobile/cell and thus find that Truecaller and Hiya do a decent job of filtering out the rubbish. I havent had a spam call for months. (Truecaller also filters messages, Hiya doesnt seem to) Hopefully both these apps will be iOS 13 compatible.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 06-06-2019 at 03:12 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:21 AM   #14
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Mouse support in iOS 13 is like a finger support. Extra mouse buttons can be mapped to extra functionality like simulate a home button press but not specifically a standard right click.

If you click and press in an area, it acts as in finger: long press or longer press to remove applications.

Said that, iOS 13 has a lot more long press custom menus that work with fingers as well.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #15
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

A couple of days ago the FCC decided to allow the cellular phone service providers to automatically detect and block certain types of spam calls. Te FCC failed to make this mandatory, and they failed to make Big Cellular offer the blocking for free. So get ready to bend over again. I'm not convinced this move will actually have a huge impact in the battle against spam robo calling, but hopefully it will help. The FCC has a habit of making rulings in favor of Bug Cellular, and Big Cellular has a habit of bending us over and then charging us for that too!