Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-08-2021, 09:19 AM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Kobo Clara on sale for $99.99

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/ko...campaign=Clara
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:31 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Also on sale at Walmart — probably a little faster shipping...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Clar...bled/848940265

I've been thinking of getting one of these, but mostly so I can compare it with the Shine 3 — which really isn't a good enough reason.

Thanks for posting this. Of all the current Kobos, this is the one that interests me the most.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #3
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I keep expecting to see you in the "multiple ereaders" discussion in the General forum
Old 10-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I keep expecting to see you in the "multiple ereaders" discussion in the General forum
It's too embarrassing. I desperately need to give them away, sell them or "lend" them out permanently, but I never get around to it. When I get back home... this time for sure! My family, except for one son, has ZERO interest in ereaders.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-08-2021 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #5
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
In Canada the Clara is on sale for $129.99, $20 CDN off the usual price. The sale seems to be universal, covering everywhere the Clara is sold (Kobo.com, Best Buy, Chapters...)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2021, 09:14 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
In Canada the Clara is on sale for $129.99, $20 CDN off the usual price. The sale seems to be universal, covering everywhere the Clara is sold (Kobo.com, Best Buy, Chapters...)
I wish Kobos were still sold at Best Buy in the U.S. I remember when Best Buy had Kindles, Kobos, Nooks and (maybe?) Sonys. Target had Sonys in addition to KIndles and Nooks at one point.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:36 PM   #7
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I wish Kobos were still sold at Best Buy in the U.S. I remember when Best Buy had Kindles, Kobos, Nooks and (maybe?) Sonys. Target had Sonys in addition to KIndles and Nooks at one point.
Yeah, I bought my first Sony reader at Target in 2012. Between Target and Best Buy I think was able to see all the major brands in person.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:44 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
You could just buy from Walmart. Yeah, I know. Walmart. But still, it is a local option.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:43 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You could just buy from Walmart. Yeah, I know. Walmart. But still, it is a local option.
Walmarts don't carry the Clara, you have to buy them online (and have them shipped to your local store for pickup.) In the old days, you could handle the eReader before buying it. Although I already know what the hardware on a Clara looks like because I own a Tolino Shine 3. But I've never held a Libra or a Forma, so I really don't know what a "square" reader feels like. (Best Buy has the Oasis, so I have held that — although tethered, which isn't really getting a feel for it — though I didn't particularly like the shape.)

But if I did buy a Clara I would buy it from Walmart because I could pick it up in two or three days.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:54 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard

Yeah, before I bought my Clara from Walmart online I checked availability and none of the stores in my area carried them.
It was delivered very fast though, maybe a day or two. I figured by buying from Walmart instead of from the Kobo store, if I happened to get a lemon I could return it easily.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:14 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Yeah, before I bought my Clara from Walmart online I checked availability and none of the stores in my area carried them.
It was delivered very fast though, maybe a day or two. I figured by buying from Walmart instead of from the Kobo store, if I happened to get a lemon I could return it easily.
Yeah, that's the way I look at it. Also, in the past, I heard that Kobo shipments were often delayed (although that seems to be less of an issue now). You can actually buy Kobos from Amazon. I could order a Clara now and have it delivered on Wednesday if I wanted to. (it's on sale there too — although those are sold by some outfit named BlueProton.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk

It appears BlueProton has the full Kobo line on their own website...

https://blueproton.com/collections/kobo-ereaders

(If I was going to buy from BlueProto, I would probably work through Amazon.)

Last edited by rcentros; 10-12-2021 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:59 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Walmarts don't carry the Clara, you have to buy them online (and have them shipped to your local store for pickup.)
Or have it shipped to your house. I ordered mine and had it the next day, I believe. I remember it was a day earlier than their website estimated. It came before the case I had ordered from Amazon.

Quote:
In the old days, you could handle the eReader before buying it. Although I already know what the hardware on a Clara looks like because I own a Tolino Shine 3. But I've never held a Libra or a Forma, so I really don't know what a "square" reader feels like.
Sure. But then did you handle any Pocketbook or Tolino devices before ordering them? Aside from Nooks and Kindles, I'd be hard pressed to lay my hands on an ereader in a store.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:43 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
... Sure. But then did you handle any Pocketbook or Tolino devices before ordering them? Aside from Nooks and Kindles, I'd be hard pressed to lay my hands on an ereader in a store.
Now it's just Barnes & Noble for Nooks and Best Buy for Kindles. That's why I was being nostalgic for the past. I think (for a while, at least) you could buy Kindles and Nooks at Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, Target, K-Mart, (maybe) Sears and possibly Circuit City and Fry's. I don't think I ever saw Kobos anywhere but Best Buy. I think Best Buy also had Sonys for a while, but I know Target did. As far as Tolino and PocketBook... I haven't bought any Tolinos new. I wouldn't have paid full price for them sight unseen. Same with PocketBook, I bought used ones and liked them so much that I bought a new one. But that was only after I had hands-on experience with them.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:04 PM   #14
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Or have it shipped to your house. I ordered mine and had it the next day, I believe. I remember it was a day earlier than their website estimated. It came before the case I had ordered from Amazon.
I think mine also came next day. Or 2nd day at the latest. It was sooner than the date the website gave me at time if purchase.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:45 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Finally! The sale is over. They kept trying to draw me in.