Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-24-2021, 02:04 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
Don't judge it solely by its title.
I wasted part of my life reading it all.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:06 PM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
👍

I assume you also don't believe in smartphone "addiction", either.
People can be addicted to services on it. That's nothing to do with the content making them stupid. It's more to do with the content being exploitive.
Advert
Old 09-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
The article is good because it overviews e-book adoption and how most people aren't habituated to it yet.
Now that it is 10 years later, I suspect many people are habituated.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:53 PM   #19
bubblegirl11
bubblegirl11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bubblegirl11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bubblegirl11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bubblegirl11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bubblegirl11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bubblegirl11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bubblegirl11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bubblegirl11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bubblegirl11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bubblegirl11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bubblegirl11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I feel like the problem here isn't ebooks at all. It's about how we intake information and from what sources. We used to be suggested books from universities to study for a course because those were the right books.

Even today we need to selectively figure out which one is the right form and source of content for us. Its still the same way to navigate our path to what we need.
bubblegirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I don't drive so I'm not up on the latest car technologies. Could that be a reminder that you shouldn't be relying on lane-assist (or lane departure technology) at that time? I wouldn't be surprised if most people needed a nudge for something like that.
The signs predate that particular tech, but I suppose it could be relevant. Though many people still wouldn't make the connection. A better sign would be "LANE ASSIST UNAVAILABLE" if that's what they're getting at.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2021, 06:21 PM   #21
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Don't judge it solely by its title.

The article is good because it overviews e-book adoption and how most people aren't habituated to it yet.

The articleis not only not good, it's utterly useless. It IS alarmist clickbait AND antiquated, outdated alarmist clickbait.

About which you still haven't answered my question: Why post a 10 year old article here?

It is pseudo-scientific in appearance, with its citations etc, but like it, they are ancient and now irrelevant. What, exactly, was your POINT? Especially in posting TO A WEB FORUM an article that decries the evil deleterious effects of reading on anything other than paper.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:26 PM   #22
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Oh an old article which conflates ebooks with reading on tablets, doesn’t actually offer any comparisons on a 1:1 basis for ebooks to books when using the vast majority of ebooks rather than hyper specialized ebooks likely aimed at edutainment rather than education.

Yes let’s all heed these words from a decade old article written by someone who even at the time wasn’t up to date with the technology, which has improved significantly since that time to counter several points more throughly than they were 10 years ago.

This article wasn’t worth the paper it was printed on when it was written, and it’s deprecated in value rather significantly since.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:54 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
But it is all ten years old, Carr’s book even older. A lot has changed since then even if some opinions have not. This is a fast moving target of study; I would want to see more current research.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:08 AM   #24
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
We live in a world where Toddlers in Tiaras, Amish Mafia and The Real Housewives of... are things and The Transformers have become a blockbuster franchise.

And we're worried that it is e-books that are making us stupider?
I'm convinced that Ow! My Balls! will be a popular TV show in my lifetime.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:28 AM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I'm convinced that Ow! My Balls! will be a popular TV show in my lifetime.
I have to admit, it might be refreshing to have President Camacho.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:58 PM   #26
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I'd be very interested in reading studies comparing reading a novel and/or correctly formatted epub textbook on ereaders (e-ink) vs paper.

Reading the OP it seems they mixed Kindles with computers and textbooks/novels with webpages in general. It's a confusing mess.

I already know that screens (not counting e-ink) are bad for me and many others. This difference is not as noticeable with e-ink. But I still prefer paper and would choose it over e-ink every time if it was a question of only the reading factor (discounting practicality, etc.). It would be great to see if there actually is a difference and how big that difference is.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:36 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
I'd be very interested in reading studies comparing reading a novel and/or correctly formatted epub textbook on ereaders (e-ink) vs paper.

Reading the OP it seems they mixed Kindles with computers and textbooks/novels with webpages in general. It's a confusing mess.

I already know that screens (not counting e-ink) are bad for me and many others. This difference is not as noticeable with e-ink. But I still prefer paper and would choose it over e-ink every time if it was a question of only the reading factor (discounting practicality, etc.). It would be great to see if there actually is a difference and how big that difference is.
Depends on what you read, I guess. I doubt reading a run-of-the-mill fantasy or mystery novel on eink makes me any stupider than reading the same book on paper. And my reading has been almost exclusively low-brow genre fiction for the past 25 years. So I reckon I'm stupid enough already.

As to internet killing our ability to concentrate, that's certainly true. But it's not because of the screen as such, it's because of the disjointed and irregular way we receive information online, and the constant distractions that go with it.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:05 PM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
e-books can make you less strong compared to having to hold the dead tree version
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #29
Mel
Connoisseur
Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android tablet
As far as the college library with no books in it, I work at a college like that. Has nothing to do with a drive for new technology. We have to be accredited for the students to get student loans and the accrediting bodies have been demanding shorter and shorter ages on the books in the library. There just isn't the money to churn the entire contents every five to ten years. The only way to comply is to toss out all the books and buy computers and memberships to various depositories.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:15 PM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
e-books can make you less strong compared to having to hold the dead tree version
The Kindle DXG in a fake leather folio cover weighs a lot more than most (any?) of my paperbacks.

First time we moved house the moving company gave us used tea chests. We didn't realise filling them with books was a bad idea. They set them in the driveway at the destination!

Tags
e-books, intelligence, librarian, library science, paper