Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-16-2021, 09:27 PM   #1
denis57
denis57 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Smile Set Page Count (pagination) in Epub, How to

Page count for my book is 104 pages on Amazon.

Want it to be 100 pages to fit in a specific category.

I asked KDP how to do this and they told me I to "change the pagination of your eBook, please resubmit your book using the desired page numbers in the eBook’s ePub file."

I've been researching this a lot but still have no idea how to do this!

PLEASE HELP!

I will be forever grateful.

Willing to pay someone to help if that's the case also.

TIA
denis57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:08 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, it seems like a weird thing to do. You have written a book with certain content which means it needs a certain number of "pages" to display it. As I assume you do not want to remove content, though removing end or front matter could do it, then you need to change the formatting somehow.

Page breaks don't really happen in epubs as they do not really have the concept of pages. There will be one at each new internal file. Merging some might reduce the number of pages. For example, if you have the title and copyright in separate files, then merging into one file might mean only one page. But, it might not.

Otherwise changing the formatting could help. For example, removing spacing around headers will reduce the rendered length of the book and might reduce the page length. And doing something like setting the body font size to something small will also do it. But, that is NOT a good idea.

It also depends on how Amazon is calculating the pages. Is it based on words, characters, screen size, font size or something else. Kobo display a word and page count in their store. From memory, the page count is simply the word count divided by 320. And they did this on their devices as well. But, in that case they calculated the page count for each chapter and then summed that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2021, 12:56 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You could look into using the epub page-list option. This is generally used to tie the page numbers in a specific physical edition to the equivalent locations in en epub ebook.

This section lives in the navigation document (this is from an epub3 nav.xhtml but pretty much the same can be done in an epub2 toc.ncx:

Spoiler:
Code:
<nav role="doc-pagelist" aria-label="Page list" epub:type="page-list">
<h2>Pagebreaks of the print version</h2>
<ol>
<li><a href="xhtml/cover.xhtml">Cover Page</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/title.xhtml#pg_v">v</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/epigraph.xhtml#pg_vii">vii</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_1">1</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_2">2</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_3">3</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_4">4</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_5">5</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_6">6</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_7">7</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_8">8</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_9">9</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_10">10</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_11">11</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_12">12</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_13">13</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter23.xhtml#pg_389">389</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter23.xhtml#pg_390">390</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/adcard.xhtml#pg_ii">ii</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/adcard.xhtml#pg_iii">iii</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/copyright.xhtml#pg_vi">vi</a></li>
</ol>
</nav>

This connects to anchors in the text. I've pasted a few of them here:

Spoiler:
Code:
<p class="Ad-Card-Main-Head-acmh"><span aria-label="ii" id="pg_ii" role="doc-pagebreak"/>T<span class="ePub_ePub-SC">ITLES BY</span>

<h1 class="Chap-Number-cn" id="ch1"><span aria-label="1" id="pg_1" role="doc-pagebreak"/><a href="contents.xhtml#c_ch1">1</a></h1>

<p class="Text-Standard-tx"><span aria-label="2" id="pg_2" role="doc-pagebreak"/>And hers.</p>

<p class="Text-Standard-tx"><span aria-label="382" id="pg_382" role="doc-pagebreak"/>“Not them. My father, my brothers, the people he controls.”</p>

Note that this can be semi-automated in InDesign but the only time I built a page-list, it was a painful manual process. I lifted this example from Faithless in Death as one of the few ebooks I have that uses page-list.

You can check Page Navigation in the Daisy knowledge base and it's linked items. If insomnia is an issue, you can check the EPUB Navigation Document found in the EPUB Packages 3.2 documentation.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:44 AM   #4
denis57
denis57 began at the beginning.

Device: None
for the reply. I agree that it's a strange thing to have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, it seems like a weird thing to do. You have written a book with certain content which means it needs a certain number of "pages" to display it. As I assume you do not want to remove content, though removing end or front matter could do it, then you need to change the formatting somehow.

Page breaks don't really happen in epubs as they do not really have the concept of pages. There will be one at each new internal file. Merging some might reduce the number of pages. For example, if you have the title and copyright in separate files, then merging into one file might mean only one page. But, it might not.

Otherwise changing the formatting could help. For example, removing spacing around headers will reduce the rendered length of the book and might reduce the page length. And doing something like setting the body font size to something small will also do it. But, that is NOT a good idea.

It also depends on how Amazon is calculating the pages. Is it based on words, characters, screen size, font size or something else. Kobo display a word and page count in their store. From memory, the page count is simply the word count divided by 320. And they did this on their devices as well. But, in that case they calculated the page count for each chapter and then summed that.
denis57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, page count, pagination