Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-08-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
Kasrielle
Enthusiast
Kasrielle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
library won't import

My hard drive died and had to be replaced. In preparation for this I exported my library to an external drive. However, when trying to import from that file I get the following error:
G:\\calibre may 31 2020 is not valid:[Errno 22] invalid mode ('rb') or filename: u' G:\\calibre may 31 2020\\part-0025.calibre-data'

So I tried copying the files to another folder on my D drive, and while doing that I got 'unknown error' on part-0025, part-0026, and part-0031. It wouldn't copy those files so I skipped them. However, then calibre would not import the files because those were missing.

I have almost 7000 books in calibre, and recreating my library will be near to impossible. What can I do? Am I just SOL?
Kasrielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:03 PM   #2
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
From what he comments I export the library by files and not moving the library from place. If you have moved it, it is easier to just find the location.

Last edited by dunhill; 06-08-2020 at 09:18 PM.
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #3
Kasrielle
Enthusiast

I exported it to the external drive, so it should be ok - but it's not... What is a mobido?
Old 06-08-2020, 09:16 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did you 'export' the library from the 'failed drive'?

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:21 PM   #5
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
In the library icon options:
Move the current library to the new location.
That would have been the best option
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.PNG
Views:	187
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	179787  
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #6
Kasrielle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Did you 'export' the library from the 'failed drive'?

BR
yes, but the drive had not failed at that point. It went into be repaired, and they discovered some bad sectors so replaced the drive.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:05 PM   #7
Kasrielle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
In the library icon options:
Move the current library to the new location.
That would have been the best option
It says my library is in a place that it is not. Says it's on the D drive but it's on an external drive. I don't know how to get it to say where the library really is.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:58 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrielle View Post
yes, but the drive had not failed at that point. It went into be repaired, and they discovered some bad sectors so replaced the drive.
Did 'they' return your bad drive? If not ask them for it - its your property.

If you have it, try putting it in a usb caddy and copying the library to the new drive with Windows File Manager, with luck you'll get most of your library. And, you could copy the ?:\users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\calibre folder to the same location on the new drive.

BR
Old 06-09-2020, 01:39 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
It says my library is in a place that it is not. Says it's on the D drive but it's on an external drive. I don't know how to get it to say where the library really is.
we seem to have several threads all with import problems, all of a sudden

1. check what is actually there on your external drive, is there a library folder that looks correctly structured and that included the file metadata.db

if so try using the switch/create library commands ( under the calibre library icon) to switch to it

or- if you no longer have a D drive, can you rename that external drive to D ( warning - that may confuse other programs). drive letters could have changed with your disc swappings and programs have not kept up with events ?

2. consider wiping the calibre config folder in app data and let calibre re-create it. maybe it got messed up somehow. that's where calibre keeps its record of where library is located
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:50 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
we seem to have several threads all with import problems, all of a sudden

1. check what is actually there on your external drive, is there a library folder that looks correctly structured and that included the file metadata.db
From what the OP has in the first post, it sounds as if the calibre import/export library tool was used. From the sound of it, parts 25, 26 and 31 of the export file set are corrupted. I don't know if there is any tool that can recover whatever data is recoverable from those spanned archives.

When I did a test export/import, I got a popup asking where I should store each of the imported libraries. I had to create the base folder and the folders where the individual libaries would be stored before I could select them using the Select folder tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	import_options.png
Views:	171
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	179788  

Last edited by DNSB; 06-09-2020 at 02:00 AM. Reason: added test import bits and bobs
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #11
Kasrielle
Enthusiast

Thanks, everyone - I tried all your suggestions with no positive result. I think the 3 corrupt files in the backup have rendered it unusable. However - the good new is that I found another backup that was only 3 weeks old, and was able to use it to import my library. I've been able to replace the new books in Calibre from my Kindle account. So all is well!
Old 06-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks, everyone - I tried all your suggestions with no positive result. I think the 3 corrupt files in the backup have rendered it unusable. However - the good new is that I found another backup that was only 3 weeks old, and was able to use it to import my library. I've been able to replace the new books in Calibre from my Kindle account. So all is well!
Good to hear that you have managed to recover your library.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I suggest you use something other than calibre's export/import as a backup tool - a) its slow, which discourages frequent backups, b) if something does wrong you know what happens. I suggest you consider a file synch tool instead, see ==>> Comparison of file synchronization software

FreeFileSynch, rsynch, SyncToys, and GoodSync products are some of products used by calibre users.

BR
Old 06-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #14
Kasrielle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I suggest you use something other than calibre's export/import as a backup tool - a) its slow, which discourages frequent backups, b) if something does wrong you know what happens. I suggest you consider a file synch tool instead, see ==>> Comparison of file synchronization software

FreeFileSynch, rsynch, SyncToys, and GoodSync products are some of products used by calibre users.

BR
I have copies/backups of all my media files, including all my books. But I thought the only way to back up calibre inself was through export, as it creates all those data files that are around a gig in size. How would you replace your library using only the book files without having to replace each one individually?
Old 06-10-2020, 09:26 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I have copies/backups of all my media files, including all my books. But I thought the only way to back up calibre inself was through export, as it creates all those data files that are around a gig in size. How would you replace your library using only the book files without having to replace each one individually?
You replace LIBRARIES, just by dropping the backup of the ENTIRE folder into place. Remember Metadata.db (entries) matches up with the folders because they were made at the same time. This is why you never make changes using the OS. The magic entry no longer matches the folder or files name.
You also need to make a backup of your config folder. Export/Import jus mad a neat package of EVERYTHING Calibre knows about YOUR setup (you may have multiple Libraries configured).

Maybe we need a PAR2 (Parchive) option the the Export-Import.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, importing, library