Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
PenguinCEO
Member Retired
PenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipedia

Device: a lot
故事主要描述當伐木

故事主要描述當伐木

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 04-16-2020 at 09:26 AM.
PenguinCEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm not aware that anyone has ever created such tables of glyph info.

I suspect t-with-dot-below will be missing, along with many other non-Western-Europe glyphs.

However, it's very easy to sideload your own more extensive fonts which will appear in the Kobo's font list after a power off/on.

This will solve your problem for any book's text content but not for the book's TOC or the GUI book lists etc. Custom fonts for TOC's and GUI can be done but you would need to become comfortable with Kobo patching to do it.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
PenguinCEO
Member Retired
PenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipedia

Device: a lot
故事主要描述當伐木

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 04-16-2020 at 09:26 AM.
PenguinCEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinCEO View Post
Is there a way to save the kobo fonts from the device to my hard disk so I can comfortably study them?
No, I don't think so. The built-in fonts appear to be encrypted. You can pull the font files out of any firmware download but you won't be able to read them.

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-21-2018 at 03:45 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinCEO View Post
I'm producing an ebook that has to be read on every kobo or kindle, so the solution must work on every device and not only on mine. I know the glyphs for the kindle. Is there a way to save the kobo fonts from the device to my hard disk so I can comfortably study them?
The Kobo fonts on device are encrypted so the quick answer is no.

I'd suggest you look into a font that supports the glyphs you need and embed it in the ebook. This can be a cost item depending on which font you choose.

The easiest way for you to test on a Kobo would be to create a test epub with your needed glyphs and then view it on your Kobo changing fonts to see which are supported.

I've attached a sample epub which I use for various purposes. The first section displays various characters that some books I read make use of. I've added the characters with a combining dot below to the ones displayed. Note that dot below and combining dot below are different. A quick test with the attached epub in my KA1 shows that Charis SIL supports the combining dot below glyphs that are included ( I use the modified ChareInk version which has increased weight).

Edit: One reason for suggesting Charis SIL is that it, as far as I know, is free to use and distribute.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Font Tester V3c - epub - Ann Onymous.epub (12.81 MB, 164 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 10-21-2018 at 05:25 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
fonts, glyphs, ka1