Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-24-2020, 11:39 PM   #1
ajoseph
ajoseph began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma running KOReader
rootable, backlit, physical buttons (is there a feature table?)

Hi, I'm looking for a rootable linux-based e-reader (including ROOTABLE android devices) with a backlight and physical page-turn buttons. 10" size would be ideal, but I'm flexible there. I have the Kindle Oasis 3 and really like the backlight for reading by the fireplace, just want a bigger screen and root access. Did I mention I need root access?

Is there a feature table somewhere that is kept up to date? I sorta figured I could just find some feature table like that and look for these three things (rootable, backlit, physical buttons). Sadly the largest retailer, amazon, seems happy to abuse their ability to make it difficult to comparison-shop. So sad.
ajoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:32 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Nook Glowlight Plus (2019) is 7.8'', based on Android and AFAIK rootable (I haven't tried, so you have to google for more detailed info). Kobo Forma is 8'', based on Linux and its OS is open to tinkerers and developers, so no need to root at all.

Last edited by Sirtel; 07-25-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoseph View Post
Hi, I'm looking for a rootable linux-based e-reader (including ROOTABLE android devices) with a backlight and physical page-turn buttons. 10" size would be ideal, but I'm flexible there.
Tablets have backlight. EInk devices have front light when light.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
ajoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kobo Forma is 8'', based on Linux and its OS is open to tinkerers and developers, so no need to root at all.
Wow, this looks like exactly what I want. Even has a sleek form factor! Thanks so much, without your comment I never would've found this in the ocean of nearly-identical-but-rebranded readers out there.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:47 PM   #5
ajoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Tablets have backlight. EInk devices have front light when light.
Picky picky.

This actually makes shopping EVEN MORE difficult, because some e-readers use the term "front light", some use the term "back light" since that's what most consumers think it is, and others (I'm looking at you, Kobo) invent their own silly proprietary name like "COMFORTlight" and don't use the term "back light" or "front light" anywhere in their product description, making themselves unsearchable. Way to go, guys.

And of course, searching for "light" is useless because every e-reader declares itself to be "light weight".

Alright, now I'm just going to go cry for a while.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:16 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Picky picky.

This actually makes shopping EVEN MORE difficult, because some e-readers use the term "front light", some use the term "back light" since that's what most consumers think it is, and others (I'm looking at you, Kobo) invent their own silly proprietary name like "COMFORTlight" and don't use the term "back light" or "front light" anywhere in their product description, making themselves unsearchable. Way to go, guys.

And of course, searching for "light" is useless because every e-reader declares itself to be "light weight".

Alright, now I'm just going to go cry for a while.
Who is using the term "back light"? I would guess it is a translation error?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:13 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Picky picky.

Forget about how the light is handled. Look at the screen. If it is e-ink, it must front-lit. E-ink screens do not let light pass through them. Everything else will probably be back-lit. And nobody would bother to mention this. Really, you should be specifying what sort of screen you want, and whether the light can change colour. Your original post suggests that you are after a device with an e-ink screen, but, it doesn't explicitly state it.

And just to be clear, not all ereaders use e-ink screens. There aren't many around now that aren't e-ink, but, there have been plenty of ereaders that used LCD screens. Tablets and smartphones have taken their place as they became more affordable.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:19 AM   #8
ajoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kobo Forma is 8'', based on Linux and its OS is open to tinkerers and developers, so no need to root at all.
So, it took over a year, but I am finally using the Kobo Forma as my primary e-reader. Thank you so much for this recommendation!

The Forma feels like moving into a mansion after living in the tent that was my Kindle Oasis 1 (my KOA2 didn't last long since it isn't rootable). Such a big roomy screen on the Forma! And PDF scrolling is way, way faster on the Forma even at a higher resolution.

I have to say, for anybody who comes across this thread: the Kobo Forma is awesome hardware with pretty awful software. Even the latest firmware still corrupts files transferred over USB! I had to migrate to KOReader (which rocks) first before I could migrate to the the Forma; zero issues with the USB storage mode provided by KOReader. Kobo should just preload KOReader on their devices and focus on hardware design, which they are very good at.

Thanks again for the recommendation!

Last edited by ajoseph; 09-05-2021 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-05-2021, 05:39 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I have to say, for anybody who comes across this thread: the Kobo Forma is awesome hardware with pretty awful software. Even the latest firmware still corrupts files transferred over USB!
Corrupts files how?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:50 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You have to eject your Kobo to prevent a database corruption. If you are not properly ejecting, then start doing so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:27 AM   #11
ajoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Corrupts files how?
This issue is still present on my barely-used Kobo Forma with the very latest firmware (Feb 2021):

https://github.com/kobolabs/Kobo-Reader/issues/70

It's sort of ridiculous that the factory firmware can't get something as simple as USB Storage mode to work properly. KOReader has its own independent implementation which works flawlessly on the exact same device.

The Kobo guys are fantastic hardware designers. They should stick to that and ship KOReader as their default firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are not properly ejecting, then start doing so.
Yes, I'm properly ejecting. Read the issue above. The Forma resets the USB connection mid-transfer, corrupting the data in flight (some block writes land, others don't), before the user even gets around to ejecting. It's really atrocious. And KOReader has no trouble doing this correctly!

And before somebody says something about USB cables, I have a box full of them, tried five different ones. All five eventually caused a mid-transfer disconnect with the factory firmware, and all five worked perfectly with KOReader's USB Storage mode.

Last edited by ajoseph; 09-05-2021 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:53 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
This issue is still present on my barely-used Kobo Forma with the very latest firmware (Feb 2021):

https://github.com/kobolabs/Kobo-Reader/issues/70.
OK, I thought you were saying there was something specific to current Forma firmware that "corrupts files". That's a 2018 thread (pre Forma) with a few updates, several of them solving their disconnection problems with different hubs and cables.

Given that there are many of us here not having file-corruption problems with our Kobos, I would suspect there's something specific going on with your setup, but I'm not in a position to trouble-shoot it with you. Others probably are though, so you're of course welcome to start a thread on your problem in the Kobo forum.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
This issue is still present on my barely-used Kobo Forma with the very latest firmware (Feb 2021)
As a minor nit, the very latest release firmware is from August, 2021 (4.28.18220). That aside, I have seen database corruption very few times on my Forma from November, 2018 and for the most part, those have been my own fault for not safely ejecting with only 2 occasions where the database corruption was due to unknown causes.

That said, there is an issue with the latest firmware and CBZ/CBR files which were first noticed on the Elipsa with 4.28 firmware but has been pretty much confirmed on Kobo's other ereaders with 4.28.18220.

One improvement for me with 4.28.18220 is that I can now use any of the USb ports on my laptop to connect my Forma. Previously, the Always On USB-C port and the Thunderbold 3 port would not allow the Forma to connect.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:40 AM   #14
ajoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
That's a 2018 thread (pre Forma) with a few updates
Scroll down, latest post is from this year. Meaning this bug has sat unfixed for three years now...

Would you like me to add a "me too" post to that bug? Those are generally considered to be unconstructive. That's probably why you don't see many of them. The bug exists, Kobo has been made aware of it, the ball is (still) in their court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One improvement for me with 4.28.18220 is that I can now use any of the USb ports on my laptop to connect my Forma. Previously, the Always On USB-C port and the Thunderbold 3 port would not allow the Forma to connect.
This is what I'm talking about... it's 2021 folks. USB is a quarter-century old. Bugs like "works with only some of the USB ports on my machine" are pretty embarrassing.

But I still love the Forma hardware. It is a sweet device.

Last edited by ajoseph; 09-10-2021 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:53 AM   #15
ajoseph

Quote:
Would you like me to add a "me too" post to that bug?
Alright, I bumped the bug, mainly because I could contribute new info: swapping the software for KOReader fixes it, so it's definitely a software issue and not a cable problem (although some cables may be better at triggering the bug).

Tags
linux, root