Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-27-2020, 05:45 AM   #1
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian
shoelesshunter began at the beginning.

Device: KV
btrfs and my kobo

I am a linux guy and I love two things: my Kobo Libra and btrfs.

So, I want to format the data partition of my Libra btrfs and use lzo compression.

My question, does the Kobo kernel include btrfs modules? I don't need the userspace btrfs-progs as I will be doing all the admin work from my Arch laptop. I just need the FS to be in the kernel.

Without giving me the old btrfs warnings (it is quite stable), are there any tips or advice to this? What about fstab? I'm told Kobo uses something different.

Thanks.
shoelesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:07 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't know which kernel the Libra is using but for the original H2O it's 2.6.x kernel, not sure if 11 years old btrfs is a good idea ;-)

If Libra is same as H2O, then it's possible with hacks (but not really worth it) to use ext2/3/4. That's the only thing it supports (and uses for root and recovery filesystem) in addition to the regular FAT32.

lzo compression won't do anything for you considering most ebook formats already have their own compression, anyway. Books can't be compressed twice.

I'd leave the kernel and its modules well alone. Without internal SD card slot, the risk of bricking is too high to even make the attempt.

----

On H2O (sorry, don't have Libra)

Code:
[root@(none) ~]# uname -a
Linux (none) 2.6.35.3-850-gbc67621+ #3032 PREEMPT Mon Jan 9 13:37:40 CST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
[root@(none) ~]# cat /proc/filesystems 
nodev   sysfs
nodev   rootfs
nodev   bdev
nodev   proc
nodev   tmpfs
nodev   sockfs
nodev   pipefs
nodev   anon_inodefs
nodev   devpts
        ext2
        ext3
        ext4
nodev   ramfs
        vfat
        msdos

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-27-2020 at 06:13 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:15 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Compressing the file system is going to cause a higher processor usage and more battery usage for hardly any gain (if any).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Mk. 7 run on Linux 4.1.15, but that's a fairly moot point, and I stand with @frostschutz: It's a *terrible* idea, for pretty much all the reasons that were already pointed out .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
btrfs, hacks, linux, root