Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #1
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Someone is selling the cracked version (Android 5.1.1) of Sony DPT RP1

I found it on a Chinese online shopping website (Taobao). The cracked version runs Android 5.1.1 and the seller claims that the Android system will not affect battery. The cracked version is only based on the Japanese version. Also, the cracked version seems quite pricey (7800 CNY=1,155USD).

Link: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...d=550465848108
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Well, they are probably buying the devices at retail prices (plus tax), so you can't expect them to be any cheaper. Factor in the other costs (it's probably a very small operation with lots of hands-on time changing each device), and the price they are charging doesn't look too bad.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2017, 11:12 PM   #3
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Well, they are probably buying the devices at retail prices (plus tax), so you can't expect them to be any cheaper. Factor in the other costs (it's probably a very small operation with lots of hands-on time changing each device), and the price they are charging doesn't look too bad.
A premium of ~USD450 is not too bad? Seriously?
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:26 AM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I took a quick look on taobao, and the original DPT-RP1 is selling for about 6000 yuan, so the mark-up is closer to 30% than 65%. On top of that, they probably also have to pay sales tax and shipping and handling fees to get the original devices, which would add quite a bit to their cost. So, they are probably only making about 20%. That seems reasonable to me for something that isn't likely to sell very much.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #5
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av12406198/

Some guy posted a video of hacked RP1. Heck I really want that
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 02:03 AM   #6
YasBean
Enthusiast
YasBean doesn't litterYasBean doesn't litter

Device: Sony RP1
It costs Y900 more for the cracked version.
YasBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:28 AM   #7
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by antistar View Post
https://www.bilibili.com/video/av12406198/

Some guy posted a video of hacked RP1. Heck I really want that
Same on YouTube:
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #8
jra166
Enthusiast
jra166 doesn't litterjra166 doesn't litter

Device: Boox N96
By the looks of the video, the Sony Software is still intact? Sony software AND Android App store? Am I seeing that correctly?
jra166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #9
antistar
Connoisseur

From what I saw on a Chinese forum, the factory/Android systems coexist on the machine. A 1g storage is partitioned on the machine that can be recognized by windows, which allows direct drag and drop file transfer via a USB cable.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:57 PM   #10
ultraboy
ultraboy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra166 View Post
By the looks of the video, the Sony Software is still intact? Sony software AND Android App store? Am I seeing that correctly?
Yes. Sony firmware is based on Android 5.1.1, the crack is only enabling installtion of third party apps.
ultraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #11
jra166
Enthusiast
jra166 doesn't litterjra166 doesn't litter

Device: Boox N96
I asked if he could show the Sony used as a computer monitor with vnc viewer (android) and tight vnc (pc) and he posted this video.
https://m.bilibili.com/video/av12429081.html

Now I REALLY want this crack!
jra166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #12
Duolive
Duolive began at the beginning.

Device: max
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra166 View Post
I asked if he could show the Sony used as a computer monitor with vnc viewer (android) and tight vnc (pc) and he posted this video.
https://m.bilibili.com/video/av12429081.html

Now I REALLY want this crack!
I think the crack will be available soon
Duolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #13
sirneb
sirneb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duolive View Post
Let's hope so but the Sony DPT-S1 android hack was never released as far as I know.
sirneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #14
ic10503
ic10503 began at the beginning.

Device: sony dpt-rp1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duolive View Post
Where do we even start? Even adb(Android Debug Bridge) doesn't seem to detect the device. I wonder how previous Sony devices were rooted.
ic10503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #15
krats
krats began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
Hello!

Has anyone tried to buy the taobao cracked DPT-RP1?
What can we do exactly with a cracked version of the device? Installing Android apps by transferring the apk from a pc? Browsing the internet?
Is pdf reading the same as in the original uncracked DPT-RP1?

Thank you
krats is offline   Reply With Quote