Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #556
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
I've done both. visibility doesn't exist anywhere. and the book is enourmous so i don't even know where to start... :-/
Ruskie_it laid out the basic procedure, although with something that large I would start by removing half of the files and then keep removing half again until it converts without error to narrow down where the problem may lie. Once you isolate it to a particular file then remove half of its content and proceed from there. Start with the CSS files since that is where a problem involving "visibility" is likely to be.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #557
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I've done both. visibility doesn't exist anywhere. and the book is enormous so i don't even know where to start... :-/
Look for stylesheet entries that have the following value:

Code:
display: none;
and comment them out.

Also check your book with the IDPF validator.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #558
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I've done both. visibility doesn't exist anywhere. and the book is enormous so i don't even know where to start... :-/
Look for stylesheet entries that have the following value:

Code:
display: none;
and comment them out.

Code:
/* display: none; */

Also check your book with the IDPF validator.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:19 PM   #559
luisdent
Enthusiast
luisdent began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis 2017
i looked for those and there are no instances of display: none. i can't find anything related to visibility or display properties...

I'm searching "all text files" in the editor. the source mobi book can be found here: https://ebookbible.org
luisdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:56 PM   #560
luisdent
Enthusiast
luisdent began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis 2017
OK. Apparently I'm an idiot. I was searching "all text files" assuming that meant every file (they are all in fact text files). However, there is another option for "all style files". I searched those and found the visibility hidden. I removed that by commenting it out and also removed the related class styles in the text files themselves. Attempting conversion again.

UPDATE: Now it's saying there are some ul lists that need to be enclosed in a ul tag. buy they are. li open and close tags surrounded in ul open and close tags. bah. I'll have to keep messing with it.

Last edited by luisdent; 12-13-2018 at 12:26 AM.
luisdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #561
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Exclamation Issues by generating KFX files with CLI

I don't know why after updating Kindle Previewer (I'm using now version 3.28.1) and your plugin, I can't generate a KFX from command line. I get the following error message:

Code:
C:\Users\Ruben>calibre-debug -r "KFX Output" -- "My Book.last"
Software versions: KFX Output 1.25.0, calibre 3.35, Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
KFX Output plugin help is available at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthre
ad.php?t=272407

Converting My Book.last
Locating most recent Kindle Previewer GUI results
Python function terminated unexpectedly
  'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 2: invalid continuation byte (
Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site.py", line 101, in main
  File "site.py", line 78, in run_entry_point
  File "site-packages\calibre\debug.py", line 318, in main
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.__init__", line 246, in cli_main
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.__init__", line 269, in convert_using_preview
er
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.kfxlib.yj_book", line 134, in convert_to_kpf
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.kfxlib.generate_kpf", line 830, in convert_no
nyj_to_kpf
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.kfxlib.generate_kpf", line 918, in last_previ
ewer_gui_result_to_kpf
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 2: invalid c
ontinuation byte
I can convert the epub inside Calibre GUI but not with command line. What's wrong?

TIA

Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #562
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
I don't know why after updating Kindle Previewer (I'm using now version 3.28.1) and your plugin, I can't generate a KFX from command line. I get the following error message:

I can convert the epub inside Calibre GUI but not with command line. What's wrong?
There is a bug in the KFX Output plugin that can cause that "last" command line function to fail if files exist in your TEMP directory with names that contain non-ASCII characters. This will be fixed in the next plugin release.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #563
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
There is a bug in the KFX Output plugin that can cause that "last" command line function to fail if files exist in your TEMP directory with names that contain non-ASCII characters. This will be fixed in the next plugin release.
Ok. Thanks for your work.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #564
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
I love the plugin, but I've got an odd occurance.

This rule in a css of mine:

Code:
p.poem
    {
    text-align: left;
    text-indent: 0em;
    font-style: italic;
    }
And in the xhtml file:

Code:
<p class="poem">blablabla <br />
blablabla<br />
blablabla<br />
blablabla<br />
blablabla</p>
In kfx conversion it works well, but each broken sentence is unexpectedly separeted by unwanted spaces, this way:

blablabla

blablabla

blablabla

blablabla

In azw3 all that does NOT happen.

Any solutions?
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #565
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
I love the plugin, but I've got an odd occurance.

This rule in a css of mine:

Code:
p.poem
    {
    text-align: left;
    text-indent: 0em;
    font-style: italic;
    }
And in the xhtml file:

Code:
<p class="poem">blablabla <br />
blablabla<br />
blablabla<br />
blablabla<br />
blablabla</p>
In kfx conversion it works well, but each broken sentence is unexpectedly separeted by unwanted spaces, this way:

blablabla

blablabla

blablabla

blablabla

In azw3 all that does NOT happen.

Any solutions?
I assume that you meant to post this to the KFX Output plugin thread.

It appears that calibre adds the "display:block" property to <br> elements during conversion causing the Kindle Previewer to treat them incorrectly. I have no idea why calibre does this and am still looking into it.

In the mean time you can fix the problem by changing your conversion settings. In the "Look & feel" section under the "Styling" tab enter the following into "Extra CSS":

br {display:inline;}
Old 12-19-2018, 04:12 AM   #566
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
br {display:inline;}
Great!!!! It works!

Quote:
I assume that you meant to post this to the KFX Output plugin thread.
YES you're right
Old 12-19-2018, 05:20 AM   #567
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moved.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #568
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.26.0 - 20 Dec 2018

Fix failure converting the most recent book from the Kindle Previewer GUI using the command line interface when file names containing non-ASCII characters are present in the user's TEMP directory.

Remove display:block styling added to <br> elements by calibre during conversion since it causes incorrect results in the Kindle Previewer.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #569
Jane Eyre
Zealot

Hi.
Thanks for the plug-in, and huge progress on it
Could I ask you something? Has anyone noticed a different aspect of custom fonts after a kfx conversion? I couldn't tell precisely but, in past times, using aw3 format, I used to set spacing at medium level, because the first one seemed to show paragraphs too thick.
Nowdays that I convert to kfx, lines would appear too high, so I leave just the first size...
And letter form too looks like altered in some cases, custom fonts appear to be larger than they should be..
Could anyone say why?
Old 12-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #570
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
Has anyone noticed a different aspect of custom fonts after a kfx conversion? I couldn't tell precisely but, in past times, using aw3 format, I used to set spacing at medium level, because the first one seemed to show paragraphs too thick.
Nowdays that I convert to kfx, lines would appear too high, so I leave just the first size...
And letter form too looks like altered in some cases, custom fonts appear to be larger than they should be..
Could anyone say why?
One difference is the software that renders KFX e-book pages was custom created by Amazon and the older KF8/azw3 renderer was apparently based on webkit. There are all kinds of differences in how they generate page images.

Tags
kfx, linux, wine