Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2018, 06:44 AM   #16
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
Get whatever device you prefer. If your local library offers ebooks, then by definition they have to have a way to load it onto your reader. The kindle app is what I'm aware of for the USA but there may be others. I'd be surprised if there was a significant alternative for the EU that was unknown in the US... but perhaps there is.
This is simply incorrect advice.
Overdrive support for eInk Kindles is only available in the US.
Outside of the US there is no option for getting library books onto an eInk Kindle which does not involve stripping DRM and format conversion.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #17
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
This is simply incorrect advice.
Overdrive support for eInk Kindles is only available in the US.
Outside of the US there is no option for getting library books onto an eInk Kindle which does not involve stripping DRM and format conversion.
which is why I suggested getting whatever device you like. Of course you have to get something that is compatible locally, but if ebooks are available then by definition there is a compatible device.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #18
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
which is why I suggested getting whatever device you like. Of course you have to get something that is compatible locally, but if ebooks are available then by definition there is a compatible device.
You said: "If your local library offers ebooks, then by definition they have to have a way to load it onto your reader"

That is simply not true for eInk Kindles outside the US.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #19
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You said: "If your local library offers ebooks, then by definition they have to have a way to load it onto your reader"

That is simply not true for eInk Kindles outside the US.
Read what I said again. It may or may not be eInk Kindles but if they offer ebooks, then there is a compatible device. And don't confuse the Kindle app with Kindle devices. The app runs on Android devices, etc. You can see many of them discussed in this forum.

Last edited by NSILMike; 12-11-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #20
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Read what I said again. It may or may not be eInk Kindles but if they offer ebooks, then there is a compatible device. And don't confuse the Kindle app with Kindle devices. The app runs on Android devices, etc. You can see many of them discussed in this forum.
I have read it, it is very clear:
"Get whatever device you prefer. If your local library offers ebooks, then by definition they have to have a way to load it onto your reader."

That is just bad advice.
Yes if the library has ebooks there will be a compatible device. It may well not be the one you just bought, if you just chose whatever device you wanted, without considering library compatibility. Seeing as this is a thread called "Need some advice on my new e-reader" in the "Which one should I buy?" forum, that seems quite important.

If library use is important to someone, they need to investigate support before buying a device, and outside of the US that means not buying a Kindle.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #21
NSILMike
Guru

They were looking for advice. Of course it may or may not be the one you bought, but they haven't decided yet. GOODBYE
Old 12-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
This is how I understood your original post on the subject.

In the U.S., I can borrow and directly download Overdrive (AZW3) books to my Kindles (if I have a lot of patience, as the Browser takes forever), or I can borrow and directly download ePub books from Overdrive to my Tolinos or Sony T2 (again, provided I have a lot of patience to wait on the E-Ink Browsers). I also understand that, in the U.S., one of the newer Kobos will work to directly download (most) ePub books on Overdrive. (I don't have one of the newer Kobos.)

I understand the Kindle Overdrive borrowing works only in the U.S. If I lived outside of the U.S., the Kindle option would not be available – but I think that was clear in your comment about "local" features.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-11-2018 at 01:34 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #23
NSILMike
Guru

I am in the US, and I read ebooks frequently. They are easily downloaded to my kindle, my kindle for pc, and my android tablet via an Amazon process they provide to the local libraries. The process involves borrowing the book thru a process provided by Overdrive and then downloading it to the device (or multiple devices) of my choice thru Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/hz/mycd/myx#/...ksAll/dateDsc/)
Old 12-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am in the US, and I read ebooks frequently. They are easily downloaded to my kindle, my kindle for pc, and my android tablet via an Amazon process they provide to the local libraries. The process involves borrowing the book thru a process provided by Overdrive and then downloading it to the device (or multiple devices) of my choice thru Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/hz/mycd/myx#/...ksAll/dateDsc/)
Yep. I borrow a lot of books in the U.S. via Overdrive on my Kindle. Extremely simple. I don't have one of the newer Kobos, but it appears that the models that have Overdrive borrowing built-in work pretty much like a Kindle (the Overdrive books appear in the market where you have the extra option to borrow books or put them on hold).
Old 12-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #25
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't have one of the newer Kobos, but it appears that the models that have Overdrive borrowing built-in work pretty much like a Kindle (the Overdrive books appear in the market where you have the extra option to borrow books or put them on hold).
Yep, that's exactly how it works. It seems Kobo is only offering this feature to Five Eyes nations
Old 12-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
You can also install the kindle app plus also Calibre Companion (syncs the tablet wirelessly with Calibre.) Also, with the Kindle application you should check out your local library for ebooks. You check them out, then from your Amazon account, you download them wirelessly to the Kindle app on your tablet.
Considering the OP quoted his price range in euros and you can only borrow library books in Kindle format within the USA, he is not going to be able to use his local library without some help from ADE, calibre and Apprentice Alf.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Get whatever device you prefer. If your local library offers ebooks, then by definition they have to have a way to load it onto your reader. The kindle app is what I'm aware of for the USA but there may be others. I'd be surprised if there was a significant alternative for the EU that was unknown in the US... but perhaps there is.
Again, outside the USA, there is little to no support for Kindle format loans from public libraries. None of the major vendors offers this support.

And going by the local library page, your comment that "by definition, they have to have a way to load it onto your reader" is total hogwash. To quote from my local library's web help courtesy of Overdrive:

Quote:
Compatible formats
  • Kindle Books (U.S. only)
Note: Some Kindle Books from your library (including many picture books, read-alongs, and graphic novels) aren't compatible with Kindle eReaders.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-11-2018 at 06:14 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Again, outside the USA, there is little to no support for Kindle format loans from public libraries. None of the major vendors offers this support.
I don't think NSILMike is saying anything different. I think that was his point about what the local libraries support.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #29
Knobby
Knobby began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the help guys. !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I really think you are missing the boat by dismissing Kobo for what seems to be no good reason (at least based on what has been posted so far).

If you use Calibre and DRM removal tools, no device is locked in to any vendor.

Check out the Kobo H2O. From your list, it fulfills all of your Must Haves and most of the rest:
  • HD resolution
  • touchscreen
  • built-in light with blue filter
  • epub
  • 6 inch screen or 6,8 at most
  • price range of €100 - €170
  • Waterproof
  • ability to load custom dictionaries
  • open system
  • Wifi

The only ones missing are:
  • New Oxford English dictionary
  • physical buttons
  • Cloud
  • android

And cloud would be on that list if you buy books from Kobo.

If you drop Waterproofing, you could look at the Clara HD, which otherwise meets all the same requirements.
In the end i did go for the Kobo Aura H2O ed. 2 as it indeed has everything i want.
Knobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #30
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobby View Post
Thanks for the help guys. !

In the end i did go for the Kobo Aura H2O ed. 2 as it indeed has everything i want.