Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
karljs
karljs has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Forma
More recent status of Oasis screen lighting issues?

Please keep this thread non-inflammatory. I don't want to dredge up fights about the inner workings of digital cameras, etc.

I preordered the original Oasis and ended up exchanging and then finally returning it despite liking the form factor because, with my eyes and in my reading environments, both had visible and distracting light cones. I use my Voyage happily and while the screen is not perfect, there are no visible shadows on it.

Does anyone know whether this is an ongoing issue with the design of the Oasis, or whether this was just a problem with the early production run? It seems to have ceased to be a discussion topic after the first few months, which makes me think maybe Amazon QC got it under control. On the other hand, maybe everyone for whom it was a problem just gave up on the model.

I tentatively have a pre-order in for the new Oasis but I'd really like to know how much of a risk I'm taking. I don't want to get into a situation where Amazon closes my account because of too many returns.
karljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by karljs View Post
I tentatively have a pre-order in for the new Oasis but I'd really like to know how much of a risk I'm taking. I don't want to get into a situation where Amazon closes my account because of too many returns.
there's no way to know until it actually ships. but amazon is good about returns. if you see the same problems, just return it. but one good sign about this new oasis is that there are more leds for lighting. the previous model has 10. this one has 12.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
The LEDs need to cover a larger area so having two more doesn't necessarily improve anything. We'll just have to wait and see. In the end, it's going to be down to your eyes. 99% of people can be fine with it and if you're not then you're not.

If you're that concerned about the returns, maybe wait and see it at a B&M? In my area, Best Buy is supposed to have it on the 31st.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm concerned about this also. I returned 2 devices last year primarily because I found the very obvious shadows on the side distracting and went back to my Voyage. Two other issues I had with the original Oasis have been resolved. The case can be propped for reading hands free and the new font and bold upgrades will provide better contrast which I found to be better on my Voyage over the Oasis last year. I'm hoping for the best as the new Oasis is very appealing. I think the luck of the draw will still be with us this year however.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
The LEDs need to cover a larger area so having two more doesn't necessarily improve anything.
understood. but given that the voyage has only 6 LEDs for a 6" screen, i would think that 10 on the last gen oasis is overkill. and 2 more for a 7" is no less of an overkill.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
understood. but given that the voyage has only 6 LEDs for a 6" screen, i would think that 10 on the last gen oasis is overkill. and 2 more for a 7" is no less of an overkill.
Actually no. The lights on the voyage are on the bottom (shorter side). The lights on the oasis are on the right (longer side), so there needs to be more of them. I'm sure Amazon experimented with how many lights were needed to get acceptable result. It was not overkill.

Also, light cones, if they bother you, are less objectionable when they are on the bottom, which is mostly taken up by footer text. It's more important to minimize any light cones when they are on the side.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
Kobo can do it with 5 LEDS with a 6.8" screen and the light is very even (and can go too bright) so why does Amazon need 12 LEDs?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:24 PM   #8
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo can do it with 5 LEDS with a 6.8" screen and the light is very even (and can go too bright) so why does Amazon need 12 LEDs?
Why can't Kobo write a new software revision without screwing up the old version? Amazon can write code that takes 2 strings whereas it takes Kobo 3.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #9
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Kindle can do it, for me, with four. My favorite Kindle, so far, is the Paperwhite. I bought a Voyage and got rid of it. The six LED lights wasn't bad, though. I wouldn't mind a Paperwhite with six LED lights.

I somehow doubt we will see a remake to get a Paperwhite 4, though.

People who own Kobos certainly seem to prefer them so I haven't figured out why they keep buying Kindles.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
Why can't Kobo write a new software revision without screwing up the old version? Amazon can write code that takes 2 strings whereas it takes Kobo 3.
What you just said is all wrong. New firmware does not screw up previous firmware. Plus, if you don't want the latest firmware, you can go back unlike Kindle firmware where once you go forward, there you stay.

The issue wasn't about firmware, it's about why the new Oasis needs 12 LEDs when less will work just fine and less LEDs means less battery used when the light is on.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
There are other factors besides the number of LEDs. Size of LED, power draw of each LED at lower and brighter settings, the light guide layer, etc.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:45 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
There are other factors besides the number of LEDs. Size of LED, power draw of each LED at lower and brighter settings, the light guide layer, etc.
I do have a light question. Why is it that eInk Readers with a light and capacitive touch can sometimes show color blotches? This has happened with both Kobo and Kindle.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
karljs
karljs has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Forma
I appreciate the input so far. Naturally I reecognize that nobody can predict exactly what the new Oasis screens will be like, but I was hoping some people had experiences with the original Oasis but just more recently. For instance, perhaps someone with a local retail option has seen multiple models without any obvious screen issues.
karljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #14
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
I do have a light question. Why is it that eInk Readers with a light and capacitive touch can sometimes show color blotches? This has happened with both Kobo and Kindle.
I've never seen the issue in person, but maybe some sort of prism-ing effect with the light hitting the light guide at such a long angle?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #15
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
I've never seen the issue in person, but maybe some sort of prism-ing effect with the light hitting the light guide at such a long angle?
It's just as likely to be sweat etc from the fingers triggering diffraction effects in a sufficiently thin layer.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote