Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Pandigital: We'll give you Android, you give up your warranty

Aww man. I like this device, and want to use it as a PDF reader, which the stock reader is atrocious at. At the bottom of the firmware page I found a link to the "Pandigital Novel Android Open Platform kit" and the following graphic:

So I think to myself...maybe this will work. Maybe I can get a third-party pdf reader that way.

Then I found this in scarlet red:

Installation of the Pandigital Novel Android Platform kits will void the original warranty of your Pandigital Novel Color Multimedia eReader.

Definitely not a good thing. Now I may return it.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Here we go again.............

I've got 2 of them...............should I............
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Why must people be so dramatic? You got this from Kohl's right? Kohl's couldn't care less what condition it's in or when you return it. So Kohl's is your lifetime warranty.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I suspect that they just do not want to give tech support to those that try the system and that they would honor the hardware warr. but that is my guess only.

There is another firmware that is not on their official site, (for the white unit) but is on their mirror. This is a newer file and seems to fix the power coming on problem that many have been having. It is stripped down a little, has slideme app market, barnes and noble reader similar to the original.

I've been running it since yesterday about his time and the battery does not seem to drain as before. It use no power over night I could tell on the indicator.

http://mirror.support.pandigital.net...E_ENG_6410POP/

This is how I got the file to work.

Remove internal card, put the zip file on your external (be sure there are no other firmware files on the root of the card) flash the unit. Power off, replace the internal card and flash again from the external. The second flash seems to set up something on the internal for the Barnes and noble stuff as bandn won't work without the second flash.

slatedroid has some other options to the original firmware as well.

Last edited by exscentric; 01-11-2011 at 04:03 PM.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
I suspect that they just do not want to give tech support to those that try the system and that they would honor the hardware warr. but that is my guess only.

There is another firmware that is not on their official site, (for the white unit) but is on their mirror. This is a newer file and seems to fix the power coming on problem that many have been having. It is stripped down a little, has slideme app market, barnes and noble reader similar to the original.

I've been running it since yesterday about his time and the battery does not seem to drain as before. It use no power over night I could tell on the indicator.

http://mirror.support.pandigital.net...E_ENG_6410POP/

This is how I got the file to work.

Remove internal card, put the zip file on your external (be sure there are no other firmware files on the root of the card) flash the unit. Power off, replace the internal card and flash again from the external. The second flash seems to set up something on the internal for the Barnes and noble stuff as bandn won't work without the second flash.

slatedroid has some other options to the original firmware as well.
Ah.. the 1/3 firmware. People are all a buzz about it.

By the way, it is on the official site.

http://support.pandigital.net:8080/S...E_ENG_6410POP/

Last edited by travfar; 01-11-2011 at 06:00 PM.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by travfar View Post
Ah.. the 1/3 firmware. People are all a buzz about it.

By the way, it is on the official site.

http://support.pandigital.net:8080/S...E_ENG_6410POP/
I'm just getting around to doing some research on hacking the Novel.....I'm figuring if your gonna hack, may as well go all the way....no disrespect to Rockdaman for the tip on the limited version hack.....

Couple of questions (besides the risk of voiding the warranty)
1A) This site seems to explain it really well, and easy.
Is this the best method?

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...-the-easy-way/
(Trying to follow the Slatedroid thread is a bit confusing)

1B) And use this file from the Slatedroid site?
ver4 (9/23 based) altered firmware link: SD_PDN_4_01_GE_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: b2fffeb029e256b09a4f5c2bd4b7bd9a

1C) What exactly does this supplement provide?
ver4 supplement (run after ver4, non-destructive): SD_PDN_SUPP10_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: 147f58ffb54f88cd751a656da8ccf7e8

2) Should I do any standard Pandigital firmware updates first?

3) Would it matter if I do the Pandigital Novel Android Platform kit update first (Thanks to RockdaMan's tip)?
http://www.pandigital.net/android
Would it provide any added features? or just do the one detailed in question 1, and the Pandigital version will just get overwritten anyways?

4) The wife seems to like the standard home screen that the Novel comes with, will this still be an option to use after hacking? For example using Home Switcher from the market?
It's not really mine, but I just can't, not tinker with it

Thanks.....

Last edited by The Joker; 01-11-2011 at 08:06 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
I installed a second screen loader that let me install apps, and I like it a lot.

Simple: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...l-novel-video/
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote