Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #16
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I buy nearly all my ebooks from Amazon but I read them on any of my devices. I have Kindles, Kobos and Nooks. I prefer the Kindles but each of them has something going for it and I really like being able to rotate through them.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I like my glowlight 3 but never use it.
For most things, I prefer my Kobo Aura, but I've been gravitating to my Glowlight Plus because the screen is just so much nicer. At a glance, they look the same. But on an extended read, the difference is noticeable.

Quote:
I am slowly overtime repurchasing my books on kindle or kobo
Why repurchase if you can just import to Calibre and remove the DRM?

Then again, the authors thank you
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I buy nearly all my ebooks from Amazon but I read them on any of my devices. I have Kindles, Kobos and Nooks. I prefer the Kindles but each of them has something going for it and I really like being able to rotate through them.
I've never spent much time with a Kindle. But the Paperwhite 4 is tempting me. With a 6" reader, currently you have a choice of waterproof or color changing light, but not both. Of the two, I've decided waterproofing is more valuable to me.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #19
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like the Kindle interface a lot. It doesn't have as many features as the Kobo but it has features I want and they work well. The extra features in the Kobo don't really add anything useful for me.

I don't care about the comfort light since I'm not convinced it really has anything to do with sleep. I suspect the choice to add them to e-ink readers was a marketing decision, not because they're particularly useful. My Glowlight 3 has one and I did like that I can make a slight adjustment to the light color but that just changed it to about the color of my Kindle.

For me one of the big advantages of the Kindle is the 3G. When I encounter something while reading I want to know more about I like to look it up on Wikipedia and with the 3G I can do that when I'm away from home. It's a rare reading session where I don't do that at least once and more often is common.

Barry
Old 12-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I like the Kindle interface a lot. It doesn't have as many features as the Kobo but it has features I want and they work well. The extra features in the Kobo don't really add anything useful for me.
Barry, when you sideload books to a Kindle with Calibre, is the Kindle good about displaying series info? Kobo is great about it. Nook doesn't seem to do it at all.

I don't read a lot of series anyway. Mainly I'm just curious.

Quote:
I don't care about the comfort light since I'm not convinced it really has anything to do with sleep. I suspect the choice to add them to e-ink readers was a marketing decision, not because they're particularly useful. My Glowlight 3 has one and I did like that I can make a slight adjustment to the light color but that just changed it to about the color of my Kindle.
In a dark room, with the Glowlight 3 glowing orange and the Kobo or Glowlight Plus glowing bluish-white, I do find the orange light more pleasant, regardless of wither the science is true or not. But having said that, it's really only something I notice when comparing the two. None of the light-up e-readers is ever anything I would describe as harsh.

After the holiday spending and an expensive trip I'm taking early next year, I may see if I can snag a cheap Paperwhite, I might grab one. I'm not biased against Kindles. I've just never owned one.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #21
barryem
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Barry, when you sideload books to a Kindle with Calibre, is the Kindle good about displaying series info? Kobo is great about it. Nook doesn't seem to do it at all.

I don't care about series as such so I don't really know. I have been reading through some loosely knit series in order, the 87th Precinct series and the Rabbi Small series and the Dick Francis books. I don't really care about reading them in order but I'm doing it just as a wey of keeping track of what I've already read. The way I'm doing it is copying and pasting lists of books from www.fantasticfiction.co.uk into google docs and sending that to Amazon as a .doc file to convert to mobi. Then I download the list to my Kindles and highlight books as I read them. I always know what the next book is. Making up such a list takes about 4 minutes. It's simple.

I also don't move books from Calibre to my Kindle. I either send them to Amazon to convert to mobi or read them right from my library. I do "back up" all my books but I read them from the Kindle library more often than from the doc file.

Anyway I guess the short answer is I don't know.

Quote:
After the holiday spending and an expensive trip I'm taking early next year, I may see if I can snag a cheap Paperwhite, I might grab one. I'm not biased against Kindles. I've just never owned one.
While the new Paperwhite is on sale I just now bought a second one. It arrives Thursday. This one is Wifi only but that's all I could afford. I'm really happy with the one I already got.

Barry
Old 12-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I also don't move books from Calibre to my Kindle. I either send them to Amazon to convert to mobi or read them right from my library. I do "back up" all my books but I read them from the Kindle library more often than from the doc file...

While the new Paperwhite is on sale I just now bought a second one. It arrives Thursday. This one is Wifi only but that's all I could afford. I'm really happy with the one I already got.

Barry
WiFi would be good enough for me. I buy all my books from Amazon, but even with a Kindle, I suspect I'd still sideload the books. Too often I buy small press books with poor formatting or no table of contents and it drives me nuts.

Of course, that's all easy to say when I don't have a Kindle in hand. Once I own one, I'd probably just download to the device and start reading
Old 12-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #23
barryem
Wizard

If I get a book with a poor table of contents I'll often correct that and send it to my library as a doc file. Other than that it's simpler to just download from the library.

My reason for 3G isn't about downloading. I'm in the habit of looking things up as I read and when I'm away from the house I like to be able to long press and get the Wikipedia article, which I can do with 3G. With Wifi only I have to wait and then when I get home I rarely remember. This is all part of being a know-it-all.

The truth is lately I've been reading on my phone away from home so I rarely use the 3G now. I'm not sure if that'll continue or not. In any case I have enough 3G devices if it doesn't.

Barry
Old 12-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I'm in the habit of looking things up as I read and when I'm away from the house I like to be able to long press and get the Wikipedia article, which I can do with 3G...
I'd quickly be in danger of falling down the Wikipedia rabbit hole
Old 12-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Kindles won't show any series info that's not part of the book title. But you can use metadata plugboards to put the series info in the title, in any configuration you want. That's what I do and it works great (I sideload all my books from Calibre, even those purchased from Amazon).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kindles won't show any series info that's not part of the book title. But you can use metadata plugboards to put the series info in the title, in any configuration you want. That's what I do and it works great (I sideload all my books from Calibre, even those purchased from Amazon).
Yeah, I do the same on Nook. I just wish all readers played as nice with Calibre as Kobo does.