Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #121
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Well I've had my say,

I just don't see why anyone can't just switch off briefly,

And then back on, it takes just a moment,

Its Polite,

Oh well, Whatever floats your boat,

I'd do it, what more can I say !
Politeness and courtesy to those around you is dying. We live in a world of self entitlement. Sadly, as this thread proves, a lot of people are ME, ME, ME types who lack courtesy for those around them.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #122
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Incidentally I predict that in 5 years people will be using their cell phones to make calls from planes, or using their mobile broadband connection to surf the internet. The only difference will be that the airlines will charge you for the privilege.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #123
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Incidentally I predict that in 5 years people will be using their cell phones to make calls from planes, or using their mobile broadband connection to surf the internet. The only difference will be that the airlines will charge you for the privilege.
I flew Delta recently and they had a Wi-Fi hookup above 10K feet. Which they charged for...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #124
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
Surprisingly enough, pilots in general aren't considered to be complete idiots. In fact, *gasp*, many actually do have actual degrees in various sciences and are in general fairly well educated folks. I know it's hard to fathom from that high perch up there, Kovid, but amazingly, this is precisely what the pilot of this flight actually did! Wow! Imagine that! A pilot, someone who is by the nature of their trade a fairly analytical individual, actually didn't leap to a totally asinine conclusion, formed a theory, and performed a test of the theory before arriving at the conclusion. Gee, the wonder of it all...
Here's the thing... We are VERY bad at making risk assessments. Our brains are wired to deal with trees and grasslands, and ephemeral waves traveling at near-infinite speeds, personal movements at somewhat near the speed of sound, and chemical reactions that can level buildings.

To quote from Bruce Schneier on security

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
Six years ago, Boeing received word that a laptop computer was suspected of shutting off the autopilot system on one of its jets during a commercial flight from London to Paris. The pilot conducted tests by turning the computer on and off, which the airline said again triggered the autopilot error. The airline "felt 100% confident that it was a particular laptop" causing the problem, says Bruce Donham, a senior electromagnetics engineer at Boeing.

Boeing sent engineers to Europe, purchased the laptop from the passenger, and tried unsuccessfully to re-create the problem from the same seat and during the exact time of the flight. Later, Boeing arranged to fly the empty plane on the London to Paris route, moving the laptop throughout the aircraft. No interference was discovered. The aircraft maker then brought the laptop back to Seattle and tested it in a Boeing lab. Donham says the tests showed no correspondence between electronic emissions from the laptop and the autopilot computer.
[/quote]

I'm trained as a scientist and work as a science teacher. If it is not reproducible, it doesn't matter how confident the airline feels.

But let us say it was the laptop, and it happened on this particular flight. What are the odds that it happens again?

Let us say that the US bans laptops on flights as a result of this data. How much money would be lost to productivity due to long flights where they could not use their laptops? How many fliers would switch from US airlines to foreign airlines where they can use their laptops? How many fliers would use their laptops and hide them when flight attendants come by?

You can worry about any threat. If you are really worried about threats, you can wrap yourself in steel and bubble wrap and only leave the house when nobody else is around. And even then, there are risks.

The question is how much effort we are willing to go to, in order to reduce risk, and how effective these efforts are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
Now that would be convincing to someone used to trial and error.

And what flight crew would want to stand before a judge and say "Well, I didn't think it would cause a problem the second time"?
What flight crew will be standing in front of a judge if the problem were caused a second time? As has been pointed out, either it would not be a problem, or the flight crew would be dead.

Now, I will turn off my cell phone on flights. It serves no useful purpose while flying and it is not worth fighting the flight attendant, who is just doing his/her job anyway in order to keep it on (although to be honest, if I don't turn it off, nobody will notice unless it rings)

However, when I used to read on my cell phone, the one flight I took, I turned off the radio function and kept reading on it. If asked, I would have shown the flight attendant that I had done so, but kept reading unless an issue was made of it.

I never had an issue flying with my PDA on to read from, and although I rarely fly, I doubt that there will be an issue with my ebook reader, but in either case, if a flight attendent should be concerned, I will explain that there is no radio signal from them and ask politely if I can keep reading. I expect that there will be no problem if explained clearly, but will deal with it when it happens.

Of course, given how little I fly these days, it is not really a problem.

Last edited by DJHARKAVY; 04-25-2010 at 10:47 AM.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #125
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Politeness and courtesy to those around you is dying. We live in a world of self entitlement. Sadly, as this thread proves, a lot of people are ME, ME, ME types who lack courtesy for those around them.
Actually, this thread demonstrates that people want reasons for the restrictions that are placed on them, as opposed to accepting them because they are told so.

This thread doesn't prove anything.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #126
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I flew Delta recently and they had a Wi-Fi hookup above 10K feet. Which they charged for...
Cool, I'm flying Delta in a couple of weeks to Seattle. I would be thrilled to have an internet connection on the plane. Though paying the airline for it, not so much
Old 04-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #127
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
Actually, this thread demonstrates that people want reasons for the restrictions that are placed on them, as opposed to accepting them because they are told so.
And that's a good thing. In it's time and place. Imagine the scenario presented above with the theatre fire, etc. I'm all for the idea of proving one way or another that personal electronics have an effect on avionics. But I'm also with the guy who enjoys not having to hear someone yelling his conversation with someone on a cell phone while flying.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #128
pshrynk

Quote:
Cool, I'm flying Delta in a couple of weeks to Seattle. I would be thrilled to have an internet connection on the plane. Though paying the airline for it, not so much
I didn't find out how much it was, since I had my Kindle and plenty to read and really did not care what my boss was wanting me to do when I got back from vacation.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #129
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
And that's a good thing. In it's time and place. Imagine the scenario presented above with the theatre fire, etc. I'm all for the idea of proving one way or another that personal electronics have an effect on avionics. But I'm also with the guy who enjoys not having to hear someone yelling his conversation with someone on a cell phone while flying.
I would be fine if airlines imposed a rule saying no talking on cellphones as it disturbs other passengers. I'm not OK with using that as a justification for keeping cell phones turned off.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #130
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
kovidgoyal, I notice that at the bottom of your messages it say:
"Notice to all: I can not provide assistance with DRM removal"

I don't see any reason that DRM should apply to me. Can you help me with a book that needs DRM removal?
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #131
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
kovidgoyal, I notice that at the bottom of your messages it say:
"Notice to all: I can not provide assistance with DRM removal"

I don't see any reason that DRM should apply to me. Can you help me with a book that needs DRM removal?
I imagine you think you are making a point here? Perhaps, I need to clarify my position some more. I am not really talking about whether you should or should not obey airline rules on turning off electronics. I am saying that the rule itself needs to be justified based on empirical data.

Personally, if someone, either cabin crew or my fellow passengers ask me to switch off a reader, I always do, as I don't think the argument is worth it.

Nonetheless, I still feel that the rule itself is wrong and needs to be questioned. Are you saying (like lots of politicians seem to do these days) that the act of questioning a rule/law is itself wrong?
Old 04-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #132
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Nonetheless, I still feel that the rule itself is wrong and needs to be questioned. Are you saying (like lots of politicians seem to do these days) that the act of questioning a rule/law is itself wrong?
On board an aircraft is, however, the wrong time to question it. Contact the FAA and argue with them about it it - it's their rule, not the airlines'.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #133
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On board an aircraft is, however, the wrong time to question it. Contact the FAA and argue with them about it it - it's their rule, not the airlines'.
And as I said, I don't argue about it on an aircraft. I do however argue about it here as I hate to see the mentality of "the existence of a rule is sufficient justification for it" growing.

In any case, this discussion is largely academic. As I said, in five years we will all be using electronics on planes. Of course, at that time no one will have conducted studies to determine whether doing so is really safe or not. Instead the airlines will be responding to the profit motive.

And if using electronics is really unsafe, the way we will find out about it is through increased crash percentages.

And then you will have a different group of people arguing that using electronics on planes is perfectly safe, after all, the FAA says so, so it must be true.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #134
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Just because you ebook reader does not have 3g or WiFi does not mean its not radiating electronic signatures. Depending on where it made, and to what quality, the emissions from your device could be interfering with the electronics of the aircraft. The problem stems from the fact there are so many of these devices and to test them all against every aircraft type would be financially prohibitive, especially as new devices are coming out all the time.

The sensible thing to do is to ask people to turn them off during the most crucial phases of flight.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #135
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
I imagine you think you are making a point here? Perhaps, I need to clarify my position some more. ....

Personally, if someone, either cabin crew or my fellow passengers ask me to switch off a reader, I always do, as I don't think the argument is worth it.

No, kovidgoyal, your position is clear. It's all those that think that just because THEY don't agree with a rule that it should not apply to them.

My example should be very clear to others. kovidgoyal does not want to be troubled by those that think the rules don't apply to them.

But think of yourself as a cabin attendant. You are told that you MUST ask the passengers to turn off ALL electronic devices. I'm willing to bet that many of them agree with you and I.

They want to keep their job, and they will do it. Why make even a minor problem for them.

And if you do turn "it" off before they get to you, they will probably think nothing more of you than "nice guy".

If they have to ask another passenger to turn "it" off I don't think that "nice guy" will be what they will be thinking.

".... Are you saying (like lots of politicians seem to do these days) that the act of questioning a rule/law is itself wrong?"

Oh I think that many of the laws in the past 40 years are not only wrong, but that some of them are unconstitutional. But the government has the "law" and the guns. THERE WILL BE DONE.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 04-25-2010 at 12:34 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote