Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #31
Dropout
Enthusiast
Dropout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 8th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Different beast. The OP wants to know about the KPW which has a touch layer on top of the screen.
According to Amazon's diagram the light guide is the top layer. So it stands to reason the Paperwhite would pick up fingerprints similarly to the Nook Touch.

I'm not sure why seemingly no one else in this thread picked up on that.
Dropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I agree with both pidgeon92 and JSWolf. Unlike my iPad, which is a fingerprint magnet, the screen on my Kindle Touch seems to suffer no noticeable excess of fingerprints or smudges. As for the Kindle Paperwhite, I won't have an opinion any earlier than October 3rd, when the first ones are scheduled to arrive in the hands of those of us who per-ordered. It is a different beast, and I may find myself keeping a micro-cloth close at hand like I do with my iPad. Then again, maybe not. Time will tell.

Would you like me to change the title of your thread to Kindle Touch & Kindle Paperwhite—How Are They For Reading? or something similar?
Now that there are real photos from real owners of the KPW, we can say without a doubt that the KPW is a fingerprint magnet. It's a shame too. Maybe if Amazon did not use the capacitance touch layer and stuck with IR touch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #33
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I've been using the PW for a day and notice NO fingerprints in contrast to the Kindle Fire which picks up lots of fingerprints.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a real example of the fingerprints on a KPW that you don't get nearly like that on a Kindle Touch, 650 or T1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PWvK3-2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	824.8 KB
ID:	93502  
Old 10-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #35
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Yes, switching from a KT to a PW I notice a very drastic difference. The PW picks up fingerprints like crazy, I find myself cleaning the screen every time I pick it up. The KT was nowhere near as bad. There is a big difference.
I really wish the PW had buttons, like SONYs.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Paperwhite may not be as good in that department as the Touch, but I haven't noticed the frequency of fingerprints showing up with with anything like the frequency with which they appear on my grandson's Fire or my iPad. The only time they're really noticeable is if the screen is covered by black, such as when viewing the cover of Christopher Hitchen's Mortality. It's always a good idea to keep a microfiber cloth handy, although I've only felt the need to use one after viewing the cover of the Hitchen's book. You need to contrast that with the need to clean the screen of a iPad every hour or two of use.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But for people who dislike touch screens because of fingerprints are not going to want to get a KPW. Amazon just botched it in that department.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #38
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I've had my PW since Tuesday and read maybe 15 hours or so since then and haven't cleaned or noticed fingerprints on the screen. Now the black bezel, that's something else--that really attracts fingerprints. But not the screen. One picture posted by somebody with goopy fingers does not a problem make.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote