Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
rstoothoff
rstoothoff began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to pack/zip Kindle (.mobi/azw3) files

I use EPUB Unzip and EPUB Zip to crack open .epub files and then, after tweaking the code, zipping them back into an .epub file. I have MobiUnpack for cracking open .mobi files. Is there something like EPUB Zip for zipping them back into .mobi files?
rstoothoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
dilo_sec
dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3
You'll need amazon's publishing tool "kindlegen" to create mobi files - it can be downloaded at: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishi...A3IWA2TQYMZ5J6
dilo_sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
rstoothoff
rstoothoff began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have Kindlegen, and use it through Kindle Previewer to convert epub files to mobi files. (But Kindle Previewer does not create a navigable toc, which Calibre does.) My question is whether there's a program which can be used to make unpacked mobi files (i.e. the folder holding all the mobi bits and pieces) back into a mobi file, in the way that EPUB Zip makes the folder containing unzipped epub files back into an epub file.
rstoothoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
sandor_clegan
sandor_clegan began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
rstoothoff, did you ever find a solution to packing the files from your unzipped .mobi back into a .mobi file. I've got the same issue, a directory with .xhtml, css, etc that I've tweaked and now I want to preview my changes to see what's what.
sandor_clegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
sandor_clegan
sandor_clegan began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
never mind, found the cross posting and the tweak book option.
sandor_clegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
djstormer
djstormer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Hi, you wrote: "I have Kindlegen, and use it through Kindle Previewer to convert epub files to mobi files. (But Kindle Previewer does not create a navigable toc, which Calibre does.)"

I'm trying to create a mobi from an epub, but, like you say, Kindlegen doesn't create a proper TOC. But I understand that Kindlegen is the better option than Calibre if you want to make fully compliant mobi files.

Do you use a combination of Kindlegen and Calibre? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.
djstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by djstormer View Post
I'm trying to create a mobi from an epub, but, like you say, Kindlegen doesn't create a proper TOC. But I understand that Kindlegen is the better option than Calibre if you want to make fully compliant mobi files.
Get the latest Sigil Beta version (build 0.5.906). It has an option to generate an inline HTML TOC, if the chapter headings are formatted as headings (h1, h2, h3 ...).
(Select Tools > Table of Contents > Create HTML Table of Contents.)
Sigil will also automatically add additional guide information required for .mobi files
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
djstormer
djstormer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Sigil will also automatically add additional guide information required for .mobi files
Thanks for the link to the guide info. However, I now have another problem associated with that that I'll start on another thread.
djstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstormer View Post
Hi, you wrote: "I have Kindlegen, and use it through Kindle Previewer to convert epub files to mobi files. (But Kindle Previewer does not create a navigable toc, which Calibre does.)"

Do you use a combination of Kindlegen and Calibre? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.
That is not correct. If the source files have an NCX file which contains TOC information then KindleGen will create a "proper" TOC. It won't conjure one up from thin air though.