Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
d47
d47 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question about kindle screen - can i touch it? (Speed reading)

Is anyone here familiar with speed reading? In a normal book it requires touching the pages, from underlining the lines you're reading to 'dusting' the pages, moving your hand like a windshield wiper down the page. Is this going to be a problem on the kindle screen? I want to buy the DX. Should i try to buy some kind of screen protector?

Ideally the screen is smooth, scratch and smug resistant.
d47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Yes I speed read (was taught the technique at uni) but I fortunately don't need to touch the pages. I just scan each line with my eyes - I used to use my finger as an aid years ago so I know what you mean.

I'd say you're fine to touch the screen if you have short nails and don't apply too much pressure. I prefer not to touch the screen as I personally don't like fingermarks. You can get screen protectors or if you had the Kindle in a plastic clear bag like a ziploc I think it's called then there should be no issue.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
d47

thanks. just bought one with "2-Pack Premium Reusable LCD Screen Protector with Lint Cleaning Cloth for Amazon Kindle DX E-Book Reader". hopefully no regrets. this decision probably took more than half a year.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, d47

Just be gentle with your touches.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
This seems a good thread to place this in - I hope you don't mind, d47 - if you do, , I will edit out my post.

I am not a speed reader but after hearing how delicate the screens on eReaders are, just wondering if a screen protector is a sensible thing to get. Obviously it won't protect against breakage, but anything that prevents scratches seems like a good thing.

Do folks here use a screen protector for their Kindle (or other eReader)? If so, what brand is recommended? What brand did you get for your DX, d47? For those that do use one with their Kindle 3, does it cut down on the readability of the Pearl screen?

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
...after hearing how delicate the screens on eReaders are, just wondering if a screen protector is a sensible thing to get. Obviously it won't protect against breakage, but anything that prevents scratches seems like a good thing.

Do folks here use a screen protector for their Kindle (or other eReader)? If so, what brand is recommended? What brand did you get for your DX, d47? For those that do use one with their Kindle 3, does it cut down on the readability of the Pearl screen?

Holly
I don't use any screen protector on any of my readers.
I don't see the need for non-touchscreen units. Even the described speed-reading-technique shouldn't by of any harm for the screen (= glass surface).
And I don't see the need for WACOM-style tablets, which have a glass surface as well.
I'd only consider screen protectors for non-WACOM-style tablets. Like Sony 600 for example. But only if I'd use them intensively, for example for taking notes.

I've got a screen protector on my UMPC, Samsung Q1.
Its screen actually did show scratches from using the stylus all the time.
But that's not a WACOM touchscreen, so it's way more delicate.

BTW: "Screen protector" to me means some sort of transparent film.
I've got another kind of protector for all my readers: Covers.
I'd never put any reader in my bag or suitcase without its cover.
ePaper is very sensitive against pressure. And even more sensitive against torsion.

Again: For the described speed-reading-technique (which I use myself for technical documents, but not for casual reads) I don't see the need for any kind of screen protector. You only slightly touch the display with the palm of your hand. No pressure, no scratches.

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-06-2010 at 11:25 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Again: For the described speed-reading-technique (which I use myself for technical documents, but not for casual reads) I don't see the need for any kind of screen protector. You only slightly touch the display with the palm of your hand. No pressure, no scratches.
I would agree with this. The Kindle screen isn't scratch-prone.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
BTW: "Screen protector" to me means some sort of transparent film.
I've got another kind of protector for all my readers: Covers.
I'd never put any reader in my bag or suitcase without its cover.
ePaper is very sensitive against pressure. And even more sensitive against torsion.
That's what I meant by screen protector, as did d47. I have purchased a good cover for my Kindle 3, just wondered if the added protection over the screen itself is worth it or if the protector distorts the readability of the screen a bit.

Also, I didn't realize the screen on the Kindle was made of glass - I wrongly assumed that it was plastic like the screens on LCD monitors - in which case I don't see the need of a screen protector, either!

Holly
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
d47

i bought the one i quoted - you can search for that on amazon. it was 6 dollars so not a big deal to try it out.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I just bought a nice soft cover to transport my kindle around. I don't worry about laying it down on the bed. I has fallen off, but so far no problem, knock on wood.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by d47 View Post
i bought the one i quoted - you can search for that on amazon. it was 6 dollars so not a big deal to try it out.
Thanks d47 - I guess I was looking for a brand name. I hope it does the trick for you, but, as you said, the kit wasn't that costly so no harm in at least giving it a try.

Holly
Old 10-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I don't see the need for a screen protector. IMO, it can only make the screen less readable.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
Thanks d47 - I guess I was looking for a brand name. I hope it does the trick for you, but, as you said, the kit wasn't that costly so no harm in at least giving it a try.

Holly
You should carefully check the reviews.
The are reports about screen protectors having done some harm. Some of the "cheap ones" seem to have aggressive adhesives and leave residue on the screen.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
I prefer not to touch the screen as I personally don't like fingermarks. You can get screen protectors or if you had the Kindle in a plastic clear bag like a ziploc I think it's called then there should be no issue.
Yes, I don't touch the screen of the Kindle because there's no need to. The Oberoncover has a soft wool felt protection on the innerside of the cover.(if it is closed).
I'm always a bit finicky with those things, but for some reason screencovers and I just don't get along. I can't manage to put it on without airbubles or wrinkles. Tried to with my iPad, because that has a touchscreen.
Perhaps that's the other reason I don't use it on the Kindle.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
You should carefully check the reviews.
The are reports about screen protectors having done some harm. Some of the "cheap ones" seem to have aggressive adhesives and leave residue on the screen.
Thank you for this info, mgmueller.

I actually don't plan to get a screen protector. After finding out that the Kindle screen is made of glass, not scratch-prone plastic, I don't feel the need for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Yes, I don't touch the screen of the Kindle because there's no need to. The Oberoncover has a soft wool felt protection on the innerside of the cover.(if it is closed).
I'm always a bit finicky with those things, but for some reason screencovers and I just don't get along. I can't manage to put it on without airbubles or wrinkles. Tried to with my iPad, because that has a touchscreen.
Perhaps that's the other reason I don't use it on the Kindle.
Ditto for me, desertblues. I have spent some frustrating times trying to put a screen protector on a few devices, such as my cell phone, but I just don't have the manual dexterity I guess! I end up removing them and wasting my money. Another reason I am glad the Kindle doesn't require one!

Holly