Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
Kindle Touch How Is It For Reading?

I am very happy with my page turning buttons on my K3 3g. I don't have or use any touch screen devices, so I am concerned about using a touch screen on the KPW. Doesn't your screen get all messy with repeated touching? I try to never touch my K3 screen. Is there a KPW available with page turning buttons? What would be ideal for me would be a KPW 3g with keyboard. Are my fears groundless or am I gonna missout on the new screens?
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I've had my Touch since the release, and no, touching the screen does not make it messy. Dust and dog hair make it messy, and that is an issue on all of my eink screens.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
I am very happy with my page turning buttons on my K3 3g. I don't have or use any touch screen devices, so I am concerned about using a touch screen on the KPW. Doesn't your screen get all messy with repeated touching? I try to never touch my K3 screen. Is there a KPW available with page turning buttons? What would be ideal for me would be a KPW 3g with keyboard. Are my fears groundless or am I gonna missout on the new screens?
Nobody will know how much of a fingerprint magnet the KPW is or is not until they get in the hands of MR users. The previous touch was IR and that meant nothing on the screen and that was very good for not being full of noticeable fingerprints. The KPW uses a capacitance touch screen. So that means the touch later is on top of the screen and since this is new, nobody will know about fingerprints.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I've had my Touch since the release, and no, touching the screen does not make it messy. Dust and dog hair make it messy, and that is an issue on all of my eink screens.
Different beast. The OP wants to know about the KPW which has a touch layer on top of the screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
"Kindle Touch How Is It For Reading?"

This is the question I was answering.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I agree with both pidgeon92 and JSWolf. Unlike my iPad, which is a fingerprint magnet, the screen on my Kindle Touch seems to suffer no noticeable excess of fingerprints or smudges. As for the Kindle Paperwhite, I won't have an opinion any earlier than October 3rd, when the first ones are scheduled to arrive in the hands of those of us who per-ordered. It is a different beast, and I may find myself keeping a micro-cloth close at hand like I do with my iPad. Then again, maybe not. Time will tell.

Would you like me to change the title of your thread to Kindle Touch & Kindle Paperwhite—How Are They For Reading? or something similar?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I sympathize with your desire for page turn buttons, but the Kindle PW won't have them. I personally have found the Kindle Touch screen harder go keep clean, but the fingerprints haven't been the problem particularly, it's just seemed like a magnet for other debris. Of greater concern has been the over- sensitivity of the screen, often giving you two page turns instead of one. That plus its personality quirks that would occasionally dump you at the beginning of whatever book you were reading instead of just turning the page; and more annoyingly, would occasionally "lose" a book from your home page listing and require you to plug it into Calibre in order to " find" it. Stick with your KK would be my advice.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
If the touchscreen is like the fire it will smug, but not noticeable. Posting
with my KFHD. Time will tell about these screens. But are very nice to read on.

Edit: Just realized the led vs e-ink, but was thinking about capacitive screens that
they both may have.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 09-23-2012 at 12:11 AM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I can't manage touch screens because I am used to holding my Kindle with my thumb on the screen and many times with the touch I was several pages ahead before I realized I was leaning on the damn screen. Drove me insane. I didn't notice smudges though.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #10
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've just got a touch coming from a kindle keyboard and so far I'm finding it really nice to read on. The screen gets no more or less dirty than my kk did. I also thought I'd find, it difficult to use the touch screen for reading but it's been fine. Makes my kk feel clunky in comparison. I suppose I was dragging my heels in with a touch screen reader as I've used fully touchscreen phones and tablets for years and I get on well with those.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
So true! As I read when I eat, I will occasionally notice a smudge, but the microfiber cloth does an excellent job of cleaning the screen. I do see more smudging on the frame of the KT, then on the screen, and that can be bothersome, but again, a microfiber cloth takes care of them as well. Overall, I find KT provides a wonderful reading experience.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
I am concerned about using a touch screen on the KPW
For once I agree with JSWolf ().
Despite the title of the thread, the OP is specifically asking about the Kindle Paperwhite, so how good the screen on the Kindle Touch is regarding fingerprints isn't necessarily going to be true of the screen on the Paperwhite due to the fact the touch screen is different.

Common sense tells you that it won't be anywhere near as bad as a tablet with it's LCD screen, and while it's unlikely to be a whole lot worse than the Kindle Touch, there's no guarantee it'll be anywhere near as fingerprint free.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Common sense tells you that it won't be anywhere near as bad as a tablet with it's LCD screen...
Can you explain why common sense tells you this? I am at a loss to see why an LCD screen should be any more or less inherently prone to fingerprints than an eInk screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
My BB playbook, Nexus 7 and my smart phone are always smudgy. My eink reader is never smudgy. *shrug*
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
My BB playbook, Nexus 7 and my smart phone are always smudgy. My eink reader is never smudgy. *shrug*
Right, but all those devices have a capacitive touch screen, just like the Kindle Paperwhite does. How do you know that it's not the capacitive touchscreen that's prone to showing fingerprints?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote