Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-07-2019, 06:02 PM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Calibre won't install in Ubuntu Server 18.04

Hello good people

I recently got a server, for learning how to run a home server among other things. One of the things is that I'd like to run is a calibre server which serves my books to my reading devices. However, I'm finding myself unable to install Calibre in my vanilla Ubuntu Server 18.04 install.

This is the output of the installer script:

Code:
2019-04-07 21:44:48 URL:https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh [31070/31070] -> "-" [1]
Using python executable: /usr/bin/python3
Installing to /opt/calibre
Downloading tarball signature securely...
Using previously downloaded calibre-3.40.1-x86_64.txz
Extracting files to /opt/calibre ...
Extracting application files... 
Creating symlinks... (cue 30 million symlinks)

Setting up command-line completion...
Installing zsh completion to: /usr/share/zsh/vendor-completions/_calibre
Failed to find directory to install bash completions, using default.
Installing bash completion to: /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/calibre

____________________ WARNING ____________________
Setting up completion failed with error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
	  File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 755, in setup_completion
	  File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 509, in write_completion
	  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/__init__.py", line 13, in <module>
	ImportError: cannot import name QApplication

Setting up desktop integration...

Setting up desktop integration failed with error:

File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 815, in setup_desktop_integration
	  File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 800, in install_icons
	  File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 790, in install_single_icon
	  File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 1132, in render_img
	ImportError: cannot import name QImage
If I try to run either calibre or calibre-server I also run towards similar errors. I imagine it's a dependency issue, but I didn't see anything about the error messages that was calibre-related except a Debian bug ticket, and as far as I understand it the calibre install is supposed to be self-contained and discourages installing from repositories.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:05 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run something like

calibre-debug -c "from PyQt5.QtGui import QImage"

to get a more detail error message.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Output of the command:

Code:
logseman@gardefier:~$ calibre-debug -c "from PyQt5.QtGui import QImage"

No write acces to /home/logseman/.config/calibre using a temporary dir instead
  File "site.py", line 77, in main
  File "site-packages/calibre/debug.py", line 276, in main
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Old 04-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are missing libGL.so probably need to install mesa or some such package that provides it on your system
Old 04-10-2019, 01:53 AM   #5
Logseman
Orisa

I installed the library, and it still complains about something else:

Code:
Setting up completion failed with error:

File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 755, in setup_completion
	  File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 510, in write_completion
	  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.py", line 29, in <module>
	  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/ui.py", line 11, in <module>
	ImportError: cannot import name QWebView

Setting up desktop integration...

File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 794, in install_single_icon
	  File "subprocess.py", line 185, in check_call
	  File "subprocess.py", line 172, in call
	  File "subprocess.py", line 394, in __init__
	  File "subprocess.py", line 1047, in _execute_child
	OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
For the record, this is a vanilla Ubuntu Server 18.04 install in a 64-bit x86 PC, an Intel Nuc.
Advert
Old 04-10-2019, 05:20 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Now you need

calibre-debug -c "from PyQt5.QtWebKitWidgets import QWebView"

to see what is missing.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
Logseman
Orisa

Strangely enough, after uninstalling and reinstalling Calibre and libgx1-mesa-glx I got another one:

Code:
calibre-debug -c "from PyQt5.QtWebKitWidgets import QWebView"
No write acces to /home/logseman/.config/calibre using a temporary dir instead
ImportError: libXrender.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
After installing libxrender1 from repos:

Code:
ImportError: libXcomposite.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
After installing libxcomposite-dev from repos it doesn't complain anymore, it only mentions the "no write access" issue.

However, when I ran calibre afterwards:

Code:
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb"
in "".

Available platform plugins are: linuxfb, minimal, offscreen, xcb.

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Aborted (core dumped)
The issue persists after installing xcb from the repos, and also after compiling the latest versions of the XCB libraries from the source.

Following the indication of calibre's error message, I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it again (with all those dependencies mentioned so far still installed). "Setting up completion" didn't fail this time, but the desktop integration did with the same error message as originally:

Code:

File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 794, in install_single_icon
	  File "subprocess.py", line 185, in check_call
	  File "subprocess.py", line 172, in call
	  File "subprocess.py", line 394, in __init__
	  File "subprocess.py", line 1047, in _execute_child
	OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Running calibre again still delivered the missing XCB error message.

I hope I'm not being annoying.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

desktop integration failing is because of missing xdg-utils. As for why Qt is unable to load the xcb plugin use the

QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS environment variable to get more verbose output for why Qt cannot load the plugin. LD_DEBUG=libs will also help.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
Logseman
Orisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
desktop integration failing is because of missing xdg-utils. As for why Qt is unable to load the xcb plugin use the

QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS environment variable to get more verbose output for why Qt cannot load the plugin. LD_DEBUG=libs will also help.
After installing xdg-utils I encountered the error described in your very own ticket system
Code:
QXcbConnect: Could not connect to display
Aborted (Core Dump)
which means that I'm supposed to use ssh -X and install XQuartz in my client Mac to run calibre. I did that and that's it. I'll need to fight with the server, but at least I can run it now.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:51 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The calibre GUI most definitely requires a working X server to run on LInux. The calibre command line tools do not.