Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-31-2016, 03:25 PM   #121
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Starting somewhere else will not "spoil the series".

[Update:

Indeed, I'm just reading A Slip of the Keyboard by Terry Pratchett (a collection of essays), and on page 88/89, as part of a speech he gave at the 2004 WorldCon, Terry Pratchett, the author of the Discworld series, said this:

"My first novel was published by the first publisher I sent it to. And so I've been learning as I go, and I find it now rather embarrassing that people beginning the Discworld series start with The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, which I don't think are some of the best books to start with. This is the author saying this, folks. Do not start at the beginning with Discworld."

Let me repeat that last bit for and with emphasis:
"This is the author saying this, folks. Do not start at the beginning with Discworld." ]
Authors are not not necessarily the best judge of their work. IMO those two books are his best that Ive read.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #122
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
I just finished The Colour of Magic and LOVED it. If this is the weakest of the Discworld novels I can't wait to see them at their best. Small Gods is next then I have to decide what sub-series to go with. Which of them deals the most with The Discs larger concepts and magical science?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
So pleased to hear you loved it. While Small Gods won't (IMO) spoil any of the earlier books, as you've started with The Colour of Magic, you might be better off continuing with The Light Fantastic, which directly follows on from the end of The Colour of Magic.

And it'd make JSWolf happy

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2016, 10:40 PM   #123
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've gotten tired of others saying to start anywhere. It's OK to spoil the series. I did like the first two books. That's why I continued on.

Most people who have said not to start from the beginning did so and continued on. So if they can get past what they call as not good, why do they think others won't be able to?
Because if I'd started with the first two books I'd never have given Terry Pratchett a second look. I've never finished them, and do not intend to.

The very first Discworld books are at best mediocre. Perfectly understandable given they were Pratchett's early work. Satire is hard to get right. But they're not a good way to convince readers that Discworld books are worth reading.

Telling potential fans to start with them is a bad idea, unless the point is to turn readers off of Terry Pratchett. That you liked them is great, but doesn't mean that they're a good entry point to Discworld or a good hook for new fans.

Last edited by Rbneader; 02-02-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #124
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
An thats The Light Fantastic finished. Also loved it. I'm thinking about sticking with chronological order until I've at least finished Mort. Also I should really read Leviathan Wakes at some point, I've had it in my kindle library for years.
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #125
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am going to put an end to this order of Discworld books one and for all. This is the reading order from Terry Pratchett's website.

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/d...reading-order/
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #126
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Took a break from Discworld to give The Expanse series a shot. Really like the first two books but book three left me cold. Haven't moved on to book four yet.

Any new recommendations?
Old 04-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #127
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Took a break from Discworld to give The Expanse series a shot. Really like the first two books but book three left me cold. Haven't moved on to book four yet.

Any new recommendations?
Actually, I'm about at the half-way mark in Abaddon's Gate and I'm still enjoying it.

You might check out the Legacy Fleet Trilogy by Nick Webb. It starts with
Constitution
. All three books are in the Kindle Unlimited program.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #128
OverHaze
Connoisseur

Odd question but can you think of any books that evoke a similar feeling to the classic CRPG Planescape Torment? The only think that comes to mind is Perdido Street Station. I'm really in the mood for something strange world building.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:09 PM   #129
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Odd question but can you think of any books that evoke a similar feeling to the classic CRPG Planescape Torment? The only think that comes to mind is Perdido Street Station. I'm really in the mood for something strange world building.
The only books that come to my mind are the Malazan books by Steven Erikson. But only in so far, as the world building is quite complex and like in Torment you are thrown into it without knowledge and there are no explanations and you have to find out bit by bit what is going on. Also similar to Torment there are mighty beings and many different factions. The magic actually comes from different planes, which are often ruled by gods.

Edit: Ups, you have read them already. Then maybe something with a character who can't trust himself, like Fight Club.
The nearest would actually be a movie: memento. Like the character in torment, the protagonist has to give himself notes, because he has no memories.

Last edited by dickloraine; 04-29-2016 at 09:20 PM.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:38 AM   #130
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Planescape is a D&D setting, so there are some books based in that world. Not many as it wasn't one of their popular ones though.

Blood Hostages (first in a trilogy)
Pages of Pain (stand alone it looks like)

Others: https://www.goodreads.com/series/119155-planescape

Per wikipedia this is a "rejected title" that the author has made available free online.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #131
OverHaze
Connoisseur

I'm thinking The Prince of Nothing series might fit what I'm looking for. Dark fantasy cosmic horror, and complex exotic world building.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #132
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I'm thinking The Prince of Nothing series might fit what I'm looking for. Dark fantasy cosmic horror, and complex exotic world building.
Good books, but quite different to torment. If you are looking for something dark and with some very interesting cosmology (the other world building is good, but not that exotic) they are excellent. Be aware, that the main protagonist is a sociopath, so if likeable characters are important to you, better look for some other book But if very dark and twisted is what you crave for, they should fit perfectly.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:16 AM   #133
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Why not more China Mieville then?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:47 AM   #134
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Actually, I'm about at the half-way mark in Abaddon's Gate and I'm still enjoying it.
I've just finished Cibola Burn, and liked it better than Abaddon's Gate I think. Different setting, some new characters.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #135
OverHaze
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Why not more China Mieville then?
Because I think the only one of his I haven't read is The City and The City