Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #196
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Re: Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light

It's up on Amazon now too.
Bravo, thanks for following up and letting us know.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:34 AM   #197
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I picked up Fletcher Pratt's Well of the Unicorn this weekend, written in 1948. Pratt died before I was born, and I'm almost retirement age, so it could very well be that Well of the Unicorn entered PD this year. It hasn't hit Gutenberg yet though. Either way, it was an orphaned work. I've got an old paper copy of the book from Ballantine. I think it was part of their Adult Fantasy series. A lot of those books are in my list of books I want as ebooks. (Joy Chant's Red Moon and Black Mountain and Munn's Merlin series come to mind)
Advert
Old 01-21-2019, 06:00 AM   #198
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Fletcher Pratt died in 1956. In life+50 countries, all his books are in the public domain. In life+70 countries, they will be in the public domain on 1st January 2027.

In the USA, Well of the Unicorn was published in 1948, with copyright renewed in 1975, so it will be in the public domain in the USA on 1st January 2044. Only 25 years to go!

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-21-2019 at 08:40 AM. Reason: no typo.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #199
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Fletcher Pratt died in 1956. In life+50 countries, all his books are in the public domain. In life+70 countries, they will be in the public domain on 1st January 2027.

In the USA, Well of the Unicorn was published in 1948, with copyright renewed in 1975, so it will be in the public domain in the USA on 1st January 2044. Only 25 years to go!
Copyright law in the US is a bit more complex than that. Works that were originally copyrighted prior to 1978 are treated differently than works copyrighted after 1978.

https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ15a.pdf

Basically, for books copyrighted prior to 1978, they are covered by an initial 28 year copyright period and if renewed, get an extra 47 years rather than the 1909 standard 28 years.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #200
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Copyright law in the US is a bit more complex than that. Works that were originally copyrighted prior to 1978 are treated differently than works copyrighted after 1978.

https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ15a.pdf

Basically, for books copyrighted prior to 1978, they are covered by an initial 28 year copyright period and if renewed, get an extra 47 years rather than the 1909 standard 28 years.
USA copyright law is indeed complex. You have forgotten the Copyright Term Extension Act (CTEA) of 1998. This increased the renewal term to 67 years. (And made renewal automatic for works that had not already come up for renewal.)

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-21-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Advert
Old 01-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #201
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
USA copyright law is indeed complex. You have forgotten the Copyright Term Extension Act (CTEA) of 1998. This increased the renewal term to 67 years. (And made renewal automatic for works that had not already come up for renewal.)
No, the link I gave is from the US Copyright website. That's what it said. My assumption is the information they post there is accurate.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:41 AM   #202
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
No, the link I gave is from the US Copyright website. That's what it said. My assumption is the information they post there is accurate.
From the document you linked to (bold added):

"The 1976 Copyright Act carried over the system in the 1909 Copyright Act for computing copyright duration for works protected by federal statute before January 1, 1978, with one major change: the length of the renewal term was increased to 47 years. The 1998 Copyright Term Extension Act increased the renewal term another 20 years to 67 years."
Old 01-22-2019, 04:48 AM   #203
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
From the document you linked to (bold added):

"The 1976 Copyright Act carried over the system in the 1909 Copyright Act for computing copyright duration for works protected by federal statute before January 1, 1978, with one major change: the length of the renewal term was increased to 47 years. The 1998 Copyright Term Extension Act increased the renewal term another 20 years to 67 years."
I don't think that it's retroactive. The length of time of the renewal, which occurs in the final year of the original copyright, is whatever the length of time was when the renewal occurs. So the renewal term for a work that was originally copyrighted in 1968 and renewed in 1995 was 47 years, the renewal term for a work copyrighted in 1971 and renewed in 1998 was 67 years (assuming my math is correct). That is my understanding of how it works. There was a matrix of how long copyrights lasted and it was fairly complex. Wish I could find it again, because it was fairly complex with a lot of if's.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:59 AM   #204
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I don't think that it's retroactive. The length of time of the renewal, which occurs in the final year of the original copyright, is whatever the length of time was when the renewal occurs. So the renewal term for a work that was originally copyrighted in 1968 and renewed in 1995 was 47 years, the renewal term for a work copyrighted in 1971 and renewed in 1998 was 67 years (assuming my math is correct). That is my understanding of how it works. There was a matrix of how long copyrights lasted and it was fairly complex. Wish I could find it again, because it was fairly complex with a lot of if's.
It applied to any work still in copyright.

I suspect that this is the table you found previously:
https://copyright.cornell.edu/publicdomain

Yes, it's very complex. But your understanding of it is incorrect.

The particular line that applies from the Cornell table is

1924 through 1963 : Published with notice and the copyright was renewed : 95 years after publication date

But if you prefer sources from the US government, that same leaflet you linked to says this about works that had already had their copyright renewed (bold added):

"Works originally copyrighted after 1922 and renewed before
These works were automatically given a longer copyright
term. Copyrights that had already been renewed and
were in their second term at any time between December 31,
1976, and December 31, 1977, inclusive, do not need to be
renewed again. They have been automatically extended to
last for a total term of 95 years (a first term of 28 years plus a
renewal term of 67 years) from the end of the year in which
they were originally secured
."

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-22-2019 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #205
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It applied to any work still in copyright.

I suspect that this is the table you found previously:
https://copyright.cornell.edu/publicdomain

Yes, it's very complex. But your understanding of it is incorrect.

The particular line that applies from the Cornell table is

1924 through 1963 : Published with notice and the copyright was renewed : 95 years after publication date

But if you prefer sources from the US government, that same leaflet you linked to says this about works that had already had their copyright renewed (bold added):

"Works originally copyrighted after 1922 and renewed before
These works were automatically given a longer copyright
term. Copyrights that had already been renewed and
were in their second term at any time between December 31,
1976, and December 31, 1977, inclusive, do not need to be
renewed again. They have been automatically extended to
."

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Won't be the first time, won't be the last.

Yes, that's the document that I was talking about, Thanks for finding it. It spells things out in great detail. You are correct about the Well of the Unicorn. No idea if the Pratt book is someone taking advantage of orphaned works, or if whomever holds the copyright has decided to put of some of his books. Quite a few of his non fiction work showed up.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #206
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
They have been automatically extended to
."
In agreement.

Which is why 1923 works just entered the public domain this January 1st, 2019.
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:57 PM   #207
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Looks like Lin Carter's Gondwane series, i.e. the World's End series, is starting to appear in the Kindle store. Lin Carter, who died back in 1988, was the classic b-list fantasy author who probably had more of an impact as a editor rather than as an author. The World's End series was more of a semi-comic Sword and Blunder series with the muscle bound hero being the classic Conan take off. Not exactly great literature, but like a lot of pulp novels, a fun read that doesn't take itself very seriously. I remember reading them way back in my youth.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:43 AM   #208
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Most of Carter's work is available for people outside the US from SF Gateway, but this particular series appears not be to.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:34 AM   #209
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Most of Carter's work is available for people outside the US from SF Gateway, but this particular series appears not be to.
Interesting, I suspect it might show up at some point. So far, I only see the first two books available on Amazon.

The publisher on Amazon is listed as Thunderchild, which is one of those companies that is republishing "vintage" SF&F and naval books, I assume ebooks.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #210
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Looks like Lin Carter's Gondwane series, i.e. the World's End series, is starting to appear in the Kindle store. Lin Carter, who died back in 1988, was the classic b-list fantasy author who probably had more of an impact as a editor rather than as an author. The World's End series was more of a semi-comic Sword and Blunder series with the muscle bound hero being the classic Conan take off. Not exactly great literature, but like a lot of pulp novels, a fun read that doesn't take itself very seriously. I remember reading them way back in my youth.
I read his Conan pastiche novels, and his Scifi Callisto series that was a bit of a John Carter ERB knock off. Fun reads all.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlist, backlisted books