Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #28291
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And I'm also reading The Shield of Time by Poul Anderson.
And now I've finished the F&SF and the Shield of Time.

The F&SF was only 4/5 this month. I wasn't fond of some of the stories. But on the whole, still very good.

The Shield of Time was a good Time Travel adventure.

And now I'm reading Deeply Odd by Dean Koontz, the next in his Odd Thomas series. I'm surprised to find I haven't read one since 2017. It's past time to remedy that. They are delightful.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #28292
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Yesterday I finished Sister Light, Sister Dark by Jane Yolen. I knew it was the first book in a trilogy, but I thought it might be a stand-alone that became a trilogy. It's not a stand-alone, but it is a good book and I plan to get to the other books sooner rather than later.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #28293
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The Shield of Time was a good Time Travel adventure.
I've just finished "Time Patrol", which is the first volume of Anderson's collected "Time Patrol" stories ("The Shield of Time" being the second volume). Agreed, very good indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #28294
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
now I'm reading Deeply Odd by Dean Koontz, the next in his Odd Thomas series. I'm surprised to find I haven't read one since 2017. It's past time to remedy that. They are delightful.
And very good it was too. Although the theme this time was a little too close to some real-world delusions to be entirely comfortable.

Next up: Pandora's Boy by Lindsay Davis. The sixth in her Flavia Albia series.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #28295
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Just read Fire, Burn! by John Dickson Carr. A very nice "locked room" mystery although not as impossible a scenario some of these can be. Cheviot goes back in time to the newly established Scotland Yard to solve a murder that occurs right in front of him. Not as wordy as Carr is usually but extremely well researched as detailed in the Author's Notes at the end. Rated B [4 stars].
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2019, 04:21 AM   #28296
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I've been reading some various non-fiction but about to start James Herbert's The Rats.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:38 AM   #28297
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Pandora's Boy by Lindsay Davis. The sixth in her Flavia Albia series.
And very good it was too. An enjoyable investigation set in Rome in the time of Domitian.

Next up: A Shilling for Candles by Josephine Tey. The second in her Inspector Grant series.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #28298
Roodavis
Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Finishing up Neon Prey by John Sandford, the 29th book in the Prey series featuring Lucas Davenport, a former Minneapolis high-profile murder investigator now working with the U.S Marshalls. Several long standing characters, a couple that have their own series. Great books for rainy or restless days.

I'm hooked on series, once I find an author I like and a series I can get into I read them all in order.

Next up is Connections in Death by J.D. Robb featuring Eve Dallas another high-profile murder investigator. These novels are based in NYC in the year 2059+ a lot of futuristic ideas and including off-planet adventures that threw me off at first, but are realistic enough to work.
Roodavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #28299
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roodavis View Post
Finishing up Neon Prey by John Sandford, the 29th book in the Prey series

I'm hooked on series, once I find an author I like and a series I can get into I read them all in order.

If you like series like John Sandford’s be sure and add C J Box, Robert Crais, Lee Child and Michael Connelly to your list. Or, alternately, you could try heroin; has about the same effect.

Last edited by MickeyC; 05-25-2019 at 11:50 AM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #28300
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Finally finished The Autumn Republic by Brian McClellan. Took awhile to read but it was good.

Next up I need an easy romance novel, so Luck of the Draw by B.J. Daniels it is.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #28301
Roodavis
Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roodavis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks. C J Box is a new one for me.
Roodavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #28302
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I finally for around to starting #Herofail, fourth in Lexie Dunne’s “Superheroes Anonymous” series, on Friday… and finished it the next day. Aside from a few minor typos, my only complaint at this point is the lack of a sequel.

I’ll most likely start NOS4A2 next, in hopes of reading it before the TV series begins next week.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:55 AM   #28303
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: A Shilling for Candles by Josephine Tey. The second in her Inspector Grant series.
Written in 1936, it shows the racism of the time. If one can overlook that, it's a good detective story.

Next up: [EDIT] Mr Midshipman Hornblower.

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-28-2019 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #28304
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I finally for around to starting #Herofail, fourth in Lexie Dunne’s “Superheroes Anonymous” series, on Friday… and finished it the next day. Aside from a few minor typos, my only complaint at this point is the lack of a sequel.

I’ll most likely start NOS4A2 next, in hopes of reading it before the TV series begins next week.
I'm a fan as well.

Not quite a third of the way into The Priory of the Orange Tree; only now starting to really pique my interest.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:09 AM   #28305
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Written in 1936, it shows the racism of the time. If one can overlook that, it's a good detective story.
Yes, that's unfortunately a problem with not just Tey, but Sayers and others as well. OTOH, they are good stories.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote