Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #28336
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up, something a bit lighter: The October Man, by Ben Aaronovitch. A novella in his Rivers of London universe, but not a Peter Grant story.
I missed that coming out. Hmmm.

My libraries don't have it yet and it isn't even listed in e-book form there, only audio. I will recommend it and see what happens I guess. (Meaning, when I finish my current books I will just buy it if they don't have it yet.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #28337
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
So far in North America, it's only available in hardback or Audible -- the eBook isn't available for some reason. The Audible book is NOT read by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith because the characters and action are in Germany. Peter Grant supposedly gets a mention, but no more.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #28338
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Looks like it is available on Kindle in the US at least. $4.99
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:31 PM   #28339
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Must have just released. Wasn't there a couple of days ago, even though the Audible version was. Thanks for the update.

ETA: Nope. Shows as "This item is not currently available for purchase"

Last edited by CRussel; 06-12-2019 at 12:22 AM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #28340
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Yesterday I finished Embers of War by Gareth Powell. Good science fiction novel about atonement. Had a few interesting characters, including a sentient starship.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #28341
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb. Not a recent purchase, but I have recently purchased the second and third volumes of this Liveship Traders trilogy.
Which was most enjoyable. Now onto Mad Ship, the second in the series.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #28342
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Finished The Imprisoned Guest: Samuel Howe and Laura Bridgman, The Original Deaf-Blind Girl. This book had more personal information and background than The Education of Laura Bridgman.

There was more info about her family and how she interacted day to day with those around her. It still had a lot of dry details, but was interesting enough. It struck me how exhausting it would have been to be one of her teachers. They spent virtually every waking hour with her, constantly finger spelling into her hand, to keep her involved with what was happening.

Just started Dark Summit: The True Story of Everest's Most Controversial Season . This book is about the 2006 climbing season on Everest.

Both books were public library borrows. Waiting to buy After the Wind: Tragedy on Everest - One Survivor's Story, another book about the 1996 tragedy when 8 climbers died. I was hoping my library would buy this book, and it wasn't available for a time as publisher ownership changed. I'm hoping for a price drop.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #28343
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Which was most enjoyable. Now onto Mad Ship, the second in the series.
I almost skipped Liveship Traders on the recommendation of a friend. They assured me that there "was nothing in there I'd miss" if I did. But when I began reading The Tawny Man trilogy, I could sense places where background material I wasn't privy to (having skipped Liveships) was being referenced, and it drove me nuts. So I quickly stopped and went back to read Liveship Traders first. I couldn't have been more glad that I did. When I finally got back to Tawny Man, there was so much relevant material and references to Liveships that I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on. Not to mention valuable backstory for the Rain Wild Chronicles later. I can't imagine how anyone ever thought it was "safe" to skip that series. I would never recommend that anyone skip over any of her Realm of the Elderlings works for any reason.

Now her Soldier's Son Trilogy?? Yeah ... skip that whole mess.
Just kidding. It wasn't for me, but it's completely unrelated to any of her other work.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #28344
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I almost skipped Liveship Traders on the recommendation of a friend. They assured me that there "was nothing in there I'd miss" if I did.
Wow. There seems to be an awful lot in there, and I'm only half way through the trilogy!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #28345
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Wow. There seems to be an awful lot in there, and I'm only half way through the trilogy!
I think they were perhaps overly focused on the trilogies that were primarily "Fitz & The Fool"-centric, and didn't deem the Bingtown and Rain Wild-centered series' "worthwhile."

Needless to say; we disagreed.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #28346
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Yeah, some people don't seem to get on with it, but I loved the Liveship Traders trilogy. It might even be the high point of the whole extended universe, although I still some books to read.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #28347
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Looks like it is available on Kindle in the US at least. $4.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Must have just released. Wasn't there a couple of days ago, even though the Audible version was. Thanks for the update.

ETA: Nope. Shows as "This item is not currently available for purchase"
I'm also seeing the Kindle version available in the U.S. (at least "buy with one click" isn't greyed out).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:29 AM   #28348
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I finished Speaks the Nightbird by Robert R. McCammon (first in the Matthew Corbett series) last night. Unlike McCammon's earlier work this isn't horror but a historical mystery series. Matthew Corbett is a judge's clerk in the 1600s in the US. They are send to a small town in the middle of nowhere where they have to decide if the woman accused of witchcraft is a witch and if so sentence her.

I really enjoyed it, though it was a long book it read quite easily. I've added the series to my active list and I'm looking forward to reading the other books.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 PM   #28349
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I finished Speaks the Nightbird by Robert R. McCammon (first in the Matthew Corbett series) last night. Unlike McCammon's earlier work this isn't horror but a historical mystery series. Matthew Corbett is a judge's clerk in the 1600s in the US. They are send to a small town in the middle of nowhere where they have to decide if the woman accused of witchcraft is a witch and if so sentence her.

I really enjoyed it, though it was a long book it read quite easily. I've added the series to my active list and I'm looking forward to reading the other books.
I've read the first three books in the series. All very good. I have to space them out since they are a long read.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:41 PM   #28350
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Finished Wildside. It wasn't all that good. For an "alternate Earth" novel, the alternate side was very mundane and boring. Most of the book suffered from "Ok, it looks like something is going to be happening here. Get ready, get set, ... Dang, nothing happened again". And on and on. For a book about an alternate Earth, you'd think the plot would depend on describing that alternate Earth. But instead, you end up reading about an alcoholic teenager, and another teenager who dumps his girlfriend and turns gay. Neither is a plotline I want to read, nor one I would have expected in a book billed as an alternate Earth adventure.

In all fairness, the second half of the book was better than the first half. Until the very end, where this totally random and out of place plot twist was thrown in. For what reason, I don't know.

Oh well, back to Burial Ground by Michael McBride, which I had set aside to read Wildside when a paper copy of that finally became available in Prospector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Starting "Wildside" by Steven Gould. Haven't finished by current book yet, but this is a paper copy that finally came available inter-library loan, so I've got to put my current book on temporary hiatus to read Wildside.

Storyline: Alternate Earth that was never populated by humans. Young Adult (that hasn't described me for several decades!) Sci-Fi. I don't mind YA novels if they are well written and entertaining.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote