Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-07-2019, 07:29 AM   #28321
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Very good, and immediately followed by Hornblower and the Hotspur, which is where we first get his inner thoughts, and is splendid.

Edit: next up, The Zig Zag Girl by Elly Griffiths. A recent purchase.

And a good mystery it was, set in post-WWII England. But the mystery wasn't too complex, as I worked it out less than half way through. But good fun all the same. I've added the rest of the series to my watch list at uk.ereadeiq.com.

Next up: Gamble by Felix Francis. Another very recent purchase.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #28322
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Finishing up Myke Cole's Queen of Crows on my Kobo and listening to The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon. Priory is a little outside of my wheelhouse, but I am reading it with my wife. Not sure what book I will be reading on the Kobo next.
Since I last posted (boo work ), I have completed:
  • Myke Cole's Queen of Crows
  • Ling Ma's Severance
  • Yoon Ha Lee's Ninefox Gambit

I did not like Severance at all and was so irritated by a plot device in Ninefox that I am unlikely to finish the trilogy.

I started a hardcover yesterday that my in-laws gave us for Christmas - Red Odyssey: Liverpool FC 1892-2017 about the history of our favorite club. Just coming off a Champions League crown, it seemed the right time to read it.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #28323
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished two books yesterday: The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon and In Pieces (Audio) written and narrated by Sally Field.

The former was...okay. It could have been done better. I liken it to ASoIaF condensed to a single volume--epic, but too quickly conluded, not enough time to dwell on the great characters, etc.

In Pieces is more of a therapy piece for the author, than any insight into her art of acting. It's NSFW, and there is a lot of pain there, but a very strong book overall, and Sally reads it well.

For some reason, my laptop managed to not move chapter one of a bunch of my audiobooks to the USB drive, so I started to listen to Radium Girls, but the narrator is trying too hard and isn't stressing the words right... like she's reading it cold. I hope I didn't pay too much for this one, because I just can't listen to it (I've read the ebook).
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #28324
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Quote:
And a good mystery it was, set in post-WWII England. But the mystery wasn't too complex, as I worked it out less than half way through. But good fun all the same. I've added the rest of the series to my watch list at uk.ereadeiq.com.
Agree. I recently read the series and the books were available in my Overdrive library as well as in Kinldle unlimited.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #28325
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Next up: Gamble by Felix Francis. Another very recent purchase.
Which I was very pleasantly surprised by. It's the first one he wrote entirely on his own after his father died, and I enjoyed it a lot, although I did guess the villain long before our hero did.

I wasn't too impressed by a couple of others he's written, but this was good enough that I've put the rest on my wishlist.

Next up: Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb. Not a recent purchase, but I have recently purchased the second and third volumes of this Liveship Traders trilogy.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #28326
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Next up: Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb. Not a recent purchase, but I have recently purchased the second and third volumes of this Liveship Traders trilogy.
I'd say you're in for a real treat with these. I thought I might be disappointed after enjoying the Farseer/Tawny Man trilogies so much, but I liked them a lot
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #28327
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just finished Martin Walker's The Body in the Well. It is twelfth in Bruno, Chief of Police Series. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. 4.5 stars.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:55 AM   #28328
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Which I was very pleasantly surprised by. It's the first one he wrote entirely on his own after his father died, and I enjoyed it a lot, although I did guess the villain long before our hero did.

I wasn't too impressed by a couple of others he's written, but this was good enough that I've put the rest on my wishlist.
I’ve really enjoyed his recent books. I think it took him a few attempts to get into his stride writing books solo, but he’s in excellent form now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #28329
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finally read Enter the Janitor by Josh Vogt. This was a fun read similar to MIB but with "filthy" creatures instead of aliens. Rated C [3 stars].

Next, a library book, The Face in the Frost by John Bellairs.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #28330
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
Currently reading Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons, only 250 pages in, so just a few days in. Really enjoying it, I like the occasional long read.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #28331
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just finished re-reading Elizabeth Moon's The Speed of Dark, her near-future story of autism. Not at all typical of her other books, but still a solid 5 star read and re-read. My first read of this book had a powerful impact and led to reading several other books on or by autistics. While I enjoyed several of them, especially Temple Grandin's Animals in Translation, this is the only one that I wanted to re-read. Perhaps because it was the first? IAC, I found more to like this second time around, and highly recommend it.

Last edited by CRussel; 06-10-2019 at 02:25 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #28332
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Just finished re-reading Elizabeth Moon's The Speed of Dark, her near-future story of autism. Not at all typical of her other books, but still a solid 5 star read and re-read.
It had a pretty-big impact on me when I read it, as well. It wasn't at all the type of book I was expecting, but I never felt disappointed by that fact.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #28333
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Demolition Angel, a 2000 book by Robert Crais which I got for $1.99 and it was an excellent read.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #28334
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I just finished reading Me, Myself, They: Life Beyond the Binary, the memoir of non-binary activist and filmmaker Joshua M. Ferguson. An important book, but not always an easy read. They have been a leader in the fight for recognition and acceptance of non-binary people in Canada and this book tells their story from the 8 year old child being "fixed" to the proud Amazon they are today. A short quote from the first chapter:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Little Joshua — or, at the time, little Josh — a confused eight-year-old child, sat in this room with a large toy house. It was almost big enough to climb inside. The house was hard to ignore, beckoning me to think beyond the clinical space that I occupied. Other toys lay scattered across the floor and spilled out of boxes. It was a space of illusion, and I could feel it. A medical fix was being spun to dispel my “sickness,” my foolish, childish, “gender-creative” self, and to enforce a false narrative that determined who I should be in adulthood.

Next up, something a bit lighter: The October Man, by Ben Aaronovitch. A novella in his Rivers of London universe, but not a Peter Grant story.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #28335
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up, something a bit lighter: The October Man, by Ben Aaronovitch. A novella in his Rivers of London universe, but not a Peter Grant story.
I missed that coming out. Hmmm.

My libraries don't have it yet and it isn't even listed in e-book form there, only audio. I will recommend it and see what happens I guess. (Meaning, when I finish my current books I will just buy it if they don't have it yet.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote