Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 05-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #1
fattazzo
fattazzo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Lightbulb Calibre android app based on web server

Hi all,
my name is Gianluca and i am a software developper.
I like Calibre so much and i use it every day for manage my library.
When i'm away from home ( for businnes, work, holiday ) sometimes i connect to my web server through my android smartphone. Ok, the standard template is awesome for a desktop user, the mobile template instead, in my opinion, is poor and unattractive for mobile users.
So, i decided to create an android app based on the calibre web server. This app will remain open source ( free on Google Play Store, all code available on Bitbucket git repository ).

At the moment the only features available are:
1. management of one or more libraries
2. view all books
3. view all authors and their books

Conditions for operation:
1. Web server activated
2. No password configured
3. Unknown source activated on android device

Attached you will find the application in the current state.

If someone else is interested in this project my intention would be to publish the app on the Google Play Store and create the repository in git with source code otherwise remain only my app developed for my interest (developer of the caliber team interested?).

Thank's all
Gianluca

PS: Sorry for my orrible english, never study at school :P
Attached Files
File Type: zip apks.zip (2.87 MB, 501 views)
fattazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You know that there are lots of existing android apps that connect to the calibre server right? Not to mention that the server itself is undergoing an overhaul, which will make it much more mobile friendly -- you will be able to read books right in your mobile browser without using any app at all.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
fattazzo
fattazzo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
You know that there are lots of existing android apps that connect to the calibre server right?
I know man but some applications need a pro version to have all features, some good apps missing functionality, some apps implement functions that can be improved, ecc...
For these reasons I wanted to create an app with features requested by users.

Quote:
you will be able to read books right in your mobile browser
I do not want to sound arrogant, but do not you think it's better to read through an application (eg google play books)? For example only for the fact of being able to read offline

Thank you for answering, let me know what is your opinion
Gianluca
fattazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The content server will allow you to read offline -- thanks to modern web technologies.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:07 AM   #5
zundengan
zundengan began at the beginning.

Device: readwithtoutdownloadingapp
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattazzo View Post
Hi all,
my name is Gianluca and i am a software developper.
I like Calibre so much and i use it every day for manage my library.
When i'm away from home ( for businnes, work, holiday ) sometimes i connect to my web server through my android smartphone. Ok, the standard template is awesome for a desktop user, the mobile template instead, in my opinion, is poor and unattractive for mobile users.
So, i decided to create an android app based on the calibre web server. This app will remain open source ( free on Google Play Store, all code available on Bitbucket git repository ).

At the moment the only features available are:
1. management of one or more libraries
2. view all books
3. view all authors and their books

Conditions for operation:
1. Web server activated
3. Unknown source activated on android device

Attached you will find the application in the current state.

If someone else is interested in this project my intention would be to publish the app on the Google Play Store and create the repository in git with source code otherwise remain only my app developed for my interest (developer of the caliber team interested?).

Thank's all
Gianluca

PS: Sorry for my orrible english, never study at school :P

:acclaim:

Please continue your work... all the other apps just want to sell, sell, sell and are nothing similar to the looks of my 5 minute staring of calibre web, well, sonys app looks very cool, but i cannot see my library there without downloading.

Please, can you share your work with me and everyone else? I know others will follow you.

I am interested in what you developed for personal use, i tried this apk but it does not work.

your work was cut off and your suggestion was not well accepted, but you really had a good idea and another option regarding calibre for users.

I really would like you to share your work with others if you still have the time and energy to do so.

Thank you, Gianluca for being a step ahead.

ciao!

edit: I wrote this thinking you were talking about an android app for calibre web

sorry for my english i also did not study eheheh

Last edited by zundengan; 03-31-2019 at 03:12 AM.
zundengan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:03 AM   #6
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattazzo View Post
Couldn't try it out because of this.

The more apps, the better. There are now a number of apps that can connect to Calibre contents, but many of them have been abandoned for quite some time, even Calibre Companion is not updated via PlayStore anymore.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
even Calibre Companion is not updated via PlayStore anymore.
That will be fixed once my life is back to normal.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:04 AM   #8
Anselme24
Anselme24 began at the beginning.

Device: macbook
Android

I also want to open an app similar to that starting with the apkafe name
Anselme24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, app, calibre, library