Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Ted Chiang

If you haven't read his work you should. He's definitely one of the best contemporary SF short story writers. His "Story of Your Life" is one of my top favorite short stories for many years now. http://www.ime.usp.br/~jstern/miscel...l/Chiang98.pdf

From The Economist:

Quote:
UNLESS you read science-fiction magazines, you probably have not have heard of Ted Chiang. He is not terribly prolific. His longest works are novellas of about 50,000 words, and he publishes one or two short stories every few years. But when he writes, the results are profound. His stories are perennial winners of the Locus and Nebula Awards—top prizes for science fiction and fantasy works in America. His readers are few, but they are devoted.

Mr Chiang's short story “The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling”, available in the autumn issue of Subterranean Press Magazine, a genre-fiction quarterly, involves a journalist who investigates a futuristic gadget. Called "Remem", it is a tool that searches one's personal "lifelog" (a real-time account of one's life captured by a personal camera) and projects memories the moment they come to mind. It is like Google Glass, a continuous-filming camera and search engine rolled into one. Mr Chiang's narrator frets that having constant access to past events will take away his power to forget, and so to forgive.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/prosp...ion-ted-chiang

Last edited by kennyc; 01-03-2014 at 06:21 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Yes. And I'll add, please consider this even if you don't think of yourself as an "SF reader".
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Impressed by the strong reviews on Amazon for this book. Just purchased.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I read his collection, The Stories of Your Life, about a month ago, and it was easily one of my top reads for 2013. His stories actually gave me a sense of wonder, something I haven't felt for awhile from SciFi.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
If you haven't read his work you should. He's definitely one of the best contemporary SF short story writers. His "Story of Your Life" is one of my top favorite short stories for many years now. http://www.ime.usp.br/~jstern/miscel...l/Chiang98.pdf

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prosp...ion-ted-chiang
+1
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
I was coincidentally rereading this last night. I love the short "Understand" in that book so much I was he'd write a full on book with the same characters. Then I'd like to see it stretched out in a TV series on par with Breaking Bad or Sherlock Holmes. In a perfect world.
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 AM   #7
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Damn you guys! I am already over budget and searching for stories of your life and others. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be available as ebook.

This link shows a few other online stories and podcasts:
http://www.freesfonline.de/authors/Ted_Chiang.html
Hopefully it does not violate any copyrights.

Last edited by din155; 01-10-2014 at 05:07 AM.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Damn you guys! I am already over budget and searching for stories of your life and others. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be available as ebook.
Well Amazon has it. Just bought it.

http://www.amazon.com/Stories-Your-L...rds=ted+chiang

But you are right, the Reading Recommendations thread can be costly.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I was coincidentally rereading this last night. I love the short "Understand" in that book so much I was he'd write a full on book with the same characters. Then I'd like to see it stretched out in a TV series on par with Breaking Bad or Sherlock Holmes. In a perfect world.
The story Understand was what the movie Limitless wanted to be.

For anyone interested, you can read Chiang's story, The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate for free here.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:15 AM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Ted Chiang's second short story collection Exhalation is coming in May 2019:.

It looks like it will collect the stories published since Stories of Your Life and Others plus two new ones.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:47 AM   #11
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
It will be nice to have to have them together ... but I really hope there are some new ones too! You said two new ones ... why didn't I see that before.

Last edited by gmw; 02-14-2019 at 06:21 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:54 AM   #12
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
He is quite simply exceptional. I don't know of anyone else who writes like him at the moment. His stories often present very challenging aspects of science in a very unique and thought provoking way and raise some sometimes uncomfortable issues.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #13
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I don't envy the pressure. Maybe that's why we see so little from him: the expectations on him to match or better the originality and inspiration of the past must be a rather daunting.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote