Notices

Old 10-26-2020, 07:04 AM   #1
wieslaw2
wieslaw2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Onyx Boox Poke 2 Color - remote desktop

Hello,
Onyx Boox Poke 2 Color!

For anybody who has the mentioned device - can you run 'TeamViewer for Remote Control' or 'Remote Desktop 8' on it? Those apps are available on Google Store, they're freeware and they serve purpose of remote access to windows pc.

If virtually any1 here has this ereader and could answer my question.. Id be inarticulate. Id be just .. grateful.

Why I ask? I want to use it as a remote desktop for my windows 10 computer.

Thanks in advance!
wieslaw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #2
davester
davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX, Yotaphone 2, iPhone7+, Dasung 13.3" HD-FT Monitor, iPad Pro
I do not have the Poke 2 Color ... but I doubt you would want to use it as a remote access device for the following reasons:

1) The COLOR pixel-resolution of the Poke 2 Color is different than the Black-and-White pixel-resolution. Although the B/W pixel-resolution is an impressive 300DPI ... the color pixel-resolution is only 100 DPI!
https://onyxboox.com/boox_poke2color
This means that the device’s stated 1072×1448 pixel-resolution is only for B/W ... and the color resolution would be 1/3 of that: ~357x482, which is too low-res to be used as a remote desktop.

2) The Poke 2 Color screen size is 6”. Many years ago, I would use my 9.7” Kindle-DX (1200x824 pixel-resolution) as a secondary monitor for my Windows-8 1024x768 resolution desktop ... where I had a very hard time seeing text/menus from the Windows desktop, as the font size was too small on the Kindle DX. Finding the mouse/cursor on screen was often a time-consuming and eye-straining challenge.
davester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
wieslaw2

Thank you for such a thorough answer davester!
1) I knew about it, but I didnt think it would be so low..
2) Screen size doesnt bother me that much, but thats also an important argument to consider
So what can I do if I need a color e-ink display as a windows display? Wait until the first e-ink high-res color screen will be developed? This can.. be a time-absorbing wait ..
Old 10-27-2020, 10:46 PM   #4
davester
davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Considering that 2020 is the first year that Color E-ink (with a reasonable refresh-rate) has been seen in consumer devices, it's a safe bet that you will have to wait a while for a large-format device to come out. There are 13.3" Greyscale "monitors" available now, which is a decent size for remote desktop viewing, if you can deal with Black/White only ... actually, the contrast of these are not great ... as Blacks are dark-grey & Whites are light-grey.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:23 AM   #5
wieslaw2

Do you think that 2022 would be a realistic release date of a 300DPI colour e-ink 14"+ computer screen? Assuming that there would be enough people to "push" the market in this direction.
Advert
Old 11-03-2020, 01:55 AM   #6
davester

I am not an expert, however, following the E-ink timeline for the past 9 years ... has me thinking/guessing that it would not be until at-least 2025 that technology would get to 300DPI color @ 14"+
Color has been teased for the past 5 years w/o any significant product release until this year.
If we, for the fun of it, follow Moore's Law that technology increases 2x every 2 years, then we'll have to wait several years for 200DPI, let alone 300DPI. In addition, if the screen size needs to go from 6" to 14", that equates to a screen area of ~36 (i.e. 6^2) to ~196 (i.e. 14^2) ... a 5-fold increase in size. These tech advances are not likely to happen anytime soon!