Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2022, 09:31 AM   #91
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
I must admit I find Library extension very useful - shows where the in-stock/shortest wait is at a glance.
I have it on a browser I only use occasionally so it never crops up when I don't want it
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:10 AM   #92
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would not suggest Library Extension. It gets really annoying really fast.
The On-Demand Search makes it a bit less intrusive/space-consuming if you have multiple libraries.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2022, 02:34 PM   #93
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
I must admit I find Library extension very useful - shows where the in-stock/shortest wait is at a glance.
I have it on a browser I only use occasionally so it never crops up when I don't want it
I find it useful too. It got really intrusive after one update but the developer acknowledged that and fixed it within a day when I sent him a message about it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:14 PM   #94
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If you're lazy, I'd also suggest Library Extension, which checks your chosen libraries for availability when you're on a Goodreads/Fantastic Fiction/Kobo/other sites book page.
I really like this in Goodreads. I'm a fan of anything that keeps spending down.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 04:37 AM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There is no point in being a naysayer unless you give reasons. Unsupported opinions are worthless.
Every time you go look at a book, it comes up showing you availability at whatever libraries you belong to. So if you go browsing books at say Amazon, it come up for every single book you look at.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2022, 06:02 AM   #96
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Every time you go look at a book, it comes up showing you availability at whatever libraries you belong to. So if you go browsing books at say Amazon, it come up for every single book you look at.
see here:

Quote:
The On-Demand Search makes it a bit less intrusive/space-consuming if you have multiple libraries.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 01:30 PM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
see here:
The on-demand search much have been added since the last time I used Library Extension. I have it installed and configured now what I doesn't have to get in the way. Thanks for this tip.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:45 PM   #98
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
At this rate I could become a book wh... I mean promiscuous.
Since they are all OverDrive maybe we need an app to scrape/search them all?
Right now, I have 4 (legitimate) OverDrive accounts.
It's a bit tedious to synchronize them all.
Same for all the Hooplas now!

I spent all day yesterday combing florida library systems to find some I could join freely as a resident. Not as many as I'd like but have expanded slightly. Most offer Hoopla but like Overdrive, the switching back and forth can be a little different

I do like to look at the different homepages of the Overdrive accounts - some libraries have gotten more creative than others (I don't belong to them unfortunately, but noticed when browsing out of state areas and who offers what for how much). I'm trying to get it to reset my password so I can use the combined library option.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 07-31-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:28 AM   #99
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I checked out Stark Library and was signed up and listening to an audiobook on Hoopla within minutes. I'm a resident though, so my eCard will expire in one year if I don't convert it to a full library card (by visiting a branch). Not sure if I can just sign up again for an eCard at that time or not.

But if the non-resident sign-up process is similar, it's quick and painless.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 01:42 PM   #100
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Idaho only has one overdrive system. I guess that is great, because I currently live in a really small town. But next year I will lose my access to the two Illinois libraries I currently have library cards for.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:57 PM   #101
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
What I've found is libraries are pretty liberal about what counts as residency. So I've gotten free library cards from a neighboring larger city, a neighboring smaller city, and one whose library participates in the much bigger county library system.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:12 PM   #102
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Oh crap. Brooklyn became my go-to Overdrive library when Philly stopped offering out of state cards. I was hoping to keep my Brooklyn card when I move from New York to Virginia next year. The Fairfax library is ok, but not quite as good as Philly or Brooklyn.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:17 PM   #103
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
Oh crap. Brooklyn became my go-to Overdrive library when Philly stopped offering out of state cards. I was hoping to keep my Brooklyn card when I move from New York to Virginia next year. The Fairfax library is ok, but not quite as good as Philly or Brooklyn.
Here's an updated list of libraries offering non-resident cards online.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=348192

Thanks to tubemonkey.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 10:26 PM   #104
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Another thanks to Fbone. Based on this comparative chart of fiction subcategories, I'm opting for the Metropolitan Library System of Oklahoma.

Library -> Metrop. FLP LAPL
Mystery 21358 7261 35752
Science Fiction 7627 2124 14051
Literature 31600 13187 68398
Romance 50068 9267 102526

The Los Angeles Public Library system is the king across the U.S., but does not appear to have memberships for out-of-county residents. It has the deepest count of books in the mystery, SF, and literature genres. The romance books are not my cup of tea, but it reflects what customers seem to want. Anyway, after browsing Metropolitan's Mystery catalog, it is superb for a long time reader of such books. Wait time also seems to be short.

Last edited by Fat Abe; 01-12-2023 at 10:31 PM.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 06:27 AM   #105
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Or like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Code:
                 Metro    FLP    LAPL
                 -----  -----  ------
Mystery          21358   7261   35752
Science Fiction   7627   2124   14051
Literature       31600  13187   68398
Romance          50068   9267  102526
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote