Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Device Do You Have?
Sony 500 76 11.45%
Sony 505 285 42.92%
Sony 700 33 4.97%
Bookeen Cybook Gen 3 101 15.21%
Irex Digital Reader 16 2.41%
Irex Iliad 42 6.33%
Jinke/Hanlin 37 5.57%
Ganaza GeR2 2 0.30%
Soribook 0 0%
Readius 0 0%
Hanwang N510 or 516 1 0.15%
Starebook 1 0.15%
Amazon Kindle 102 15.36%
Ebookwise 1150 52 7.83%
Dr. Yi M218 1 0.15%
JetBook 6 0.90%
Plastic Logic 0 0%
Franklin eBookMan 9 1.36%
Rocket eBook 11 1.66%
REB1100 14 2.11%
REB 1200 7 1.05%
Softbook Reader 1 0.15%
Sony Librie 4 0.60%
iphone / ipod / pda 180 27.11%
I'm waiting for the Kindle 2, Kindle 1 is too ugly, etc, etc 12 1.81%
Nokia web tablets N770/800/810 or similar 25 3.77%
I still haven't decided, I"m so frackin' confused. 13 1.96%
They haven't made the one I want 18 2.71%
I read on my computer 74 11.14%
psp or other game console 24 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 664. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #91
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Even if the average Kindle owner would have less need to look for ebook on the Internet and thus hangs on this forum, I found the low kindle number impressive.

A lot of people here are from the US, but for the moment even the Booken Cybook still outrank the kindle when this device is neither widely distributed nor marketed.

I only hope that someday Amazon realize that there is more money to be made by selling ebooks to everyone than by selling only for their hardware.
I hope the 9th February announcement will be about that, and not about a new kinddle.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #92
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
I only hope that someday Amazon realize that there is more money to be made by selling ebooks to everyone than by selling only for their hardware.
I hope the 9th February announcement will be about that, and not about a new kinddle.
now THAT would be a great announcement. that and epub support. since we're hoping...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #93
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Even if the average Kindle owner would have less need to look for ebook on the Internet and thus hangs on this forum, I found the low kindle number impressive.

A lot of people here are from the US, but for the moment even the Booken Cybook still outrank the kindle when this device is neither widely distributed nor marketed.

The average Kindle owner no more wants to spend money for books than the average Sony, or Bookeen owner. They have as much need to look on the 'net for free books and other sources.

I seriously doubt Amazon got as big and successful as it has by not realizing the marketability of the Kindle.

The wireless access has to be addressed, and at the same time, the different copyright issues for each country has to be solved.

The only thing I think they are guilty of is seriously underestimating how popular their little device would get.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #94
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Smile

Quote:
I only hope that someday Amazon realize that there is more money to be made by selling ebooks to everyone than by selling only for their hardware. I hope the 9th February announcement will be about that, and not about a new kinddle.
I would be over the moon if Amazon woke up and decided to sell to everyone with a ebook reader. I think it would do them a world of good.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:06 AM   #95
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
That would be nice, and they would gain me back as a faithful customer, provided they also sell the ebooks to overseas customers. But I guess that's a bit much to hope for...
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #96
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Hi,

I have a Cybook Gen3 and I love it. Got it around this time last year. I still buy the odd paperback though, but I read mostly on my Cybook. Best investment ever.

Slan
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #97
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
That would be nice, and they would gain me back as a faithful customer, provided they also sell the ebooks to overseas customers. But I guess that's a bit much to hope for...
It would be great, but I think you're right, there's no chance they would sell to overseas customers. I also suspect that if the Amazon UK site sold ebooks, they would be more expensive than the US site because of sales tax etc.

I ticked 'Sony 505' by the way. I've had it for just over a week and loving it.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #98
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Attention: Moderators!

Can this poll be given front-page "news" status before ending?

I think this poll is very important, as it defines who the mobileread.com members really are (by what devices they own/use).

To date, I would not have expected more eBookwise device votes than iLiad devices votes, so I think this poll needs to reach THE largest possible audience it can, via front-page news exposure.

Otherwise, I may have to change my signature to canvas iRex users! :sheesh:

EDIT: Thanks!

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-04-2009 at 04:00 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #99
Alf
Alf began at the beginning.

Device: Foxit eSlick
What about the Foxit eSlick? The hardware is the same (or quite similar) to the Cybook, but I expect a pretty well done pdf support, and they seem to be working on the ereader format.

Anyway, I list it as my device, but truth is that I will not have a grasp on it until mid march (hopefully!). Anyone else ordered it?
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #100
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Curious here.

Do you read exclusively on your phones, or are they 'when I forgot my device' standbys?

If you read on them, do you have issues with the size, or are you happy with the reading experience?
I've only ever read on a Palm device or my computer (only when desperate!). The Kindle/Sony interest me, but I don't think a dedicated device is right for my lifestyle right now. I refuse to go AT&T for an iPhone, and I don't want to go back to carrying two devices by buying an iPod Touch (I had a Palm TX and a Treo at one point).

I do miss the TX's larger screen, but I don't regret selling it. The Treo's portability and single-device outweigh that for me.

One of the ways I've made it easier on the eyes is that both eReader and Mobipocket are set to brown screen, cream text. I originally did it for night time reading, because even on its dimmest, the backlight could be too bright at night.

But brown/cream is surprisingly easy on the eyes at *any* time of day. So now I just play with backlight levels - lowest at night, and middle for daytime and high for outdoors. With the Treo's keyboard, it's a 1 button thing and Dpad combo to slide the backlight, no menus required.

I get way more eye strain reading off my computer (although anti-glare lenses for my glasses did help - I stare at spreadsheets all day).

Bree

Last edited by simplyparticular; 02-04-2009 at 04:17 PM.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #101
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I have to say that I was surprised how handily the Sony trounced the Kindle in the poll, and even more surprised that the cybook and iphone are also beating the Kindle.

This feels awful -- it's kind of like how I feel when the Yankees beat the Red Sox.

I've noticed that Mobileread has a very sizeable (majority?) of users that aren't from the United States, so that may play a big role in why the Kindle isn't doing so well in this poll.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #102
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whoo hoo!!! We made the front page!!! Thank you everyone who has participated so far.

Apparently, the poll has been extended to the 15th.

Please let everyone you know thats a member so they can vote!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #103
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I have to say that I was surprised how handily the Sony trounced the Kindle in the poll, and even more surprised that the cybook and iphone are also beating the Kindle.

This feels awful -- it's kind of like how I feel when the Yankees beat the Red Sox.

I've noticed that Mobileread has a very sizeable (majority?) of users that aren't from the United States, so that may play a big role in why the Kindle isn't doing so well in this poll.
Exactly , you answered your own question. Plus I think a lot of our younger members love the smaller I-Phone type devices.....less to carry.

This may sound strange, but as much as I love my Kindle, this site seems to attract more 'serious' readers, and techie people. Does the Sony offer more to them?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #104
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Thanks, SimplyParticular, for answering. Thats what I"m wanting to know. I agree, I just can't read a book on the laptop.

Unfortunately, the little phones just aren't big enough for me!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #105
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Too Late for another category?

Wish I'd seen this earlier, but my category is:

Waiting to buy because of money.

Now, I read on my computer. My wish is for the Astak/Hanlin.

With regards to the missing Text to Speech devices, I am an Audio Book listener, almost exclusively. Must have my MP3 audiobook!!!!!
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote