Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-28-2021, 04:08 PM   #1456
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Just a thought: Do you see any calibre-parallel.exe processes in the task manager? The last few lines makes me wonder if somehow a phantom worker got stuck and is not responding.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-28-2021 at 04:17 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:55 PM   #1457
Joliet Jake
Zealot
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
I didn't see that, but I didn't think about it at the time.

My VPN turned off for a few seconds, and (probably unrelated) the process started working again when I tested it. I guess the worker is "fragile".
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2021, 12:45 AM   #1458
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliet Jake View Post
I've been using this plugin for a few months, and suddenly it failed.

Today I added the custom column "read" and started going through my library. At one point I encountered a book that still had DRM on it. (An Epub, in fact.) Afterward the plugin stopped working.

I restarted Calibre but the plugin still doesn't work. I'm not sure what I did wrong. (Calibre maintains previous counts, but will not add new ones.)

Also, does anyone know how to change column names? For some reason it says "words" when it means "pages".

Count Page/Word Statistics
do_count_statistics - book_path=C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_dcjnjy\7jz7ju_count_pa ges\530.epub, pages_algorithm=0, page_count_mode=Estimate, statistics_to_run=[u'PageCount'], custom_chars_per_page=1500, icu_wordcount=True
do_count_statistics - job started for file book_path=C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_dcjnjy\7jz7ju_count_pa ges\530.epub
-------------------------------
Logfile for book ID 530 (Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship With Money and Achieving Financial Independence: Fully Revised and Updated for 2018)
Method of counting _page_count_mode=Estimate _download_sources=[]
results= {}
do_statistics_for_book: C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_dcjnjy\7jz7ju_count_pa ges\530.epub 0 Estimate [] [u'PageCount'] 1500 True
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.jobs", line 155, in do_statistics_for_book
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 56, in get_page_count
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 95, in _open_epub_file
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 148, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 87, in run_extract_book
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 262, in fork_job
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 186, in run_job
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 123, in communicate
WorkerError: Worker failed

I am using Calibre 4.23.
That looks like a problem with the job communication. That frequently means that the antivirus/malware protection is blocking something. It can also mean that the temp folder was cleaned up by something, though I would expect a different error.

Is this happening for all books? Or just the original book that had DRM? If the latter, have you removed the DRM?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:50 AM   #1459
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't see that, but I didn't think about it at the time.

My VPN turned off for a few seconds, and (probably unrelated) the process started working again when I tested it. I guess the worker is "fragile".
Didn't read to the end of the thread before replying.

But, that could explain it. The error was probably because something was blocking the worker processes from communicating. That would be a firewall or whatever you have for antivirus/malware protection. If that was screwed up, the VPN dropping out could have caused it to reload it's configuration or reset. It probably happened twice, once when the VPN dropped and then when it came up.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:13 AM   #1460
Joliet Jake
Zealot
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That looks like a problem with the job communication. That frequently means that the antivirus/malware protection is blocking something. It can also mean that the temp folder was cleaned up by something, though I would expect a different error.

Is this happening for all books? Or just the original book that had DRM? If the latter, have you removed the DRM?
It was happening with all books after getting the first error message.

The VPN shouldn't interact with Calibre at all, however. Calibre doesn't interact with the internet except when updating metadata. I have an anti-virus that is more likely to interfere.

Quote:
Didn't read to the end of the thread before replying.

But, that could explain it. The error was probably because something was blocking the worker processes from communicating. That would be a firewall or whatever you have for antivirus/malware protection. If that was screwed up, the VPN dropping out could have caused it to reload it's configuration or reset. It probably happened twice, once when the VPN dropped and then when it came up.
The VPN was down for about a second, so it dropping didn't start the problem. (It seems impossible to have a VPN persist forever, unfortunately.)
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2021, 08:50 PM   #1461
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It was happening with all books after getting the first error message.

The VPN shouldn't interact with Calibre at all, however. Calibre doesn't interact with the internet except when updating metadata. I have an anti-virus that is more likely to interfere.

The VPN was down for about a second, so it dropping didn't start the problem. (It seems impossible to have a VPN persist forever, unfortunately.)
I wasn't saying that calibre interacted with the VPN. I was saying that the antivirus interacted with the VPN and that affected calibre. But, it might be indirect interactions. The VPN dropping and coming up will change routing, clear arp caches and possibly other things. That was probably enough to fix the interprocess communications that calibre uses.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:31 AM   #1462
ReaderGuy42
Enthusiast
ReaderGuy42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Plug-In "Count Pages" Question: numbers not showing up/disappearing

Hi

I just installed the plug-in "Count Pages" and figured out that I needed to first update/download the metadata of my books.

Aside from those books where the ISBN numbers were wrong because of similar titles, etc. about half of my library is not showing up with page numbers.

This is AFTER I have solved the problem about not having an identifier (which I solved with the metadata). It's telling me it's "counting statistics" , and then I get the little pop-up asking if I'd like to update columns in my library. However, when I say yes, nothing happens. I've restarted Calibre several times and tried it again, but nothing happens.

And when I try getting the page count again for a book where there's already one, e.g. because it's wrong or just to test it, the numbers now disappear‽

Any ideas?
Thanks

Last edited by ReaderGuy42; 10-31-2021 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Forgot something
ReaderGuy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:53 AM   #1463
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Did you configure the 'Other; tab to overwrite?
(you can also turn OFF the OK to save Prompt there)
Are the columns configured correctly?

And the biggie The Calibre Library is not being synced 2-way (or Actively)
That can put stuff back/lose changes
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:45 PM   #1464
ReaderGuy42
Enthusiast

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did you configure the 'Other; tab to overwrite?
(you can also turn OFF the OK to save Prompt there)
Are the columns configured correctly?

And the biggie The Calibre Library is not being synced 2-way (or Actively)
That can put stuff back/lose changes
I did indeed have the Overwrite option on.
As to the columns, I only followed the steps that were posted along with the zip file for the plug-in in the original post, from 2011 I think.

Re: Sync: I don't think I'm syncing anything? I haven't been using Calibre much recently. Is that not something optional to sync it across devices? Or is that something else?

Thanks!!
Old 10-31-2021, 06:40 PM   #1465
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

'Any in the Cloud' (sync) which is common for folders on PC's. You do not want this running on the Library folder.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:43 PM   #1466
ReaderGuy42
Enthusiast

Quote:
'Any in the Cloud' (sync) which is common for folders on PC's. You do not want this running on the Library folder.
I don't have any cloud set up at all. Is that bad?
Old 10-31-2021, 07:47 PM   #1467
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderGuy42 View Post
I don't have any cloud set up at all. Is that bad?
Not as far as Calibre is concerned.
Hopefully you have SOME sort of backup plan for your data (in general), just in case (fire, flood, Zombies, Tornado,Volcano...).
Old 10-31-2021, 11:17 PM   #1468
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi

I just installed the plug-in "Count Pages" and figured out that I needed to first update/download the metadata of my books.

Aside from those books where the ISBN numbers were wrong because of similar titles, etc. about half of my library is not showing up with page numbers.

This is AFTER I have solved the problem about not having an identifier (which I solved with the metadata). It's telling me it's "counting statistics" , and then I get the little pop-up asking if I'd like to update columns in my library. However, when I say yes, nothing happens. I've restarted Calibre several times and tried it again, but nothing happens.

And when I try getting the page count again for a book where there's already one, e.g. because it's wrong or just to test it, the numbers now disappear‽

Any ideas?
Thanks
Quote:
I did indeed have the Overwrite option on.
As to the columns, I only followed the steps that were posted along with the zip file for the plug-in in the original post, from 2011 I think.
The above sounds like it should be working. The most common problem when the plugin isn't updating the columns is that the configuration is wrong. Make sure that you have the correct column in each of the statistics you want to calculate. And that you are using different columns.

If that isn't the issue, please run calibre in debug mode and post the log from running the plugin. Debug mode is started by right-clicking the Preferences button and choosing the option to restart in debug mode. Calibre will restart and display a message about the debug log. Then, run the count for a couple of books and close calibre. The debug log will be shown. Post the full contents of the log. Hopefully I will be able to tell what is wrong.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:27 AM   #1469
ReaderGuy42
Enthusiast

Quote:
The above sounds like it should be working. The most common problem when the plugin isn't updating the columns is that the configuration is wrong. Make sure that you have the correct column in each of the statistics you want to calculate. And that you are using different columns.

If that isn't the issue, please run calibre in debug mode and post the log from running the plugin. Debug mode is started by right-clicking the Preferences button and choosing the option to restart in debug mode. Calibre will restart and display a message about the debug log. Then, run the count for a couple of books and close calibre. The debug log will be shown. Post the full contents of the log. Hopefully I will be able to tell what is wrong.
It ended up working for MOST of my books. Some of the indie titles that have no ISBN, but only an ASIN wouldn't work. I tried putting in the ASIN in the same field as the ISBN (changing the prefix) but that didn't seem to work.

Anyways, thanks for the help
Old 11-01-2021, 04:29 AM   #1470
ReaderGuy42
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Not as far as Calibre is concerned.
Hopefully you have SOME sort of backup plan for your data (in general), just in case (fire, flood, Zombies, Tornado,Volcano...).
I do have a file backup set up, just nothing via a cloud or directly in Calibre.

Thanks for the help

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin