Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-16-2022, 10:07 PM   #1516
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I added 7 epubs to Calibre today prior to sideloading to my Sage. The plugin said it found 7 statistics, but after running, only 6 were updated, one was left blank. I ran the plugin on on the 'missing' one twice more, and each time got this message:

but each time, the page and word counts were still left blank. I've attached the log, in case i helps explain why this one would fail when 6 around it did not
Attached Files
File Type: txt countlog.txt (1.4 KB, 193 views)
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:26 PM   #1517
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
DRM infested?
It says the worker failed, which is why no updated fields.

Does the book validate?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2022, 11:32 PM   #1518
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
DRM infested?
It says the worker failed, which is why no updated fields.

Does the book validate?
No, it did not, thanks for the tip. A second try worked, something wrong with the drm removal the first time obviously. Much obliged.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:42 AM   #1519
jeff47
Connoisseur
jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo Libre H20
I've got this plug-in working nicely, using Goodreads page count data going into a custom column called Pages as recommended. But on my Kobo, using kepub files, the reading progress displayed is in screen count rather than page count. If I change the font size, the "pages" displayed on the device changes too. Is there a way to have this fixed based on the Pages custom column, or is it a limitation of the device or format?
jeff47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:36 AM   #1520
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff47 View Post
I've got this plug-in working nicely, using Goodreads page count data going into a custom column called Pages as recommended. But on my Kobo, using kepub files, the reading progress displayed is in screen count rather than page count. If I change the font size, the "pages" displayed on the device changes too. Is there a way to have this fixed based on the Pages custom column, or is it a limitation of the device or format?
It is a limitation of ebooks. There is no real concept of "pages". Anything you see is made up using some algorithm. And it is up to the app or device used for reading to calculate the number of pages. For the renderer used for kepubs, it is the number of screens. I think that is a fairly common method as it is simple and obvious what is happening. Another common method is the Adobe method (which certain people around here claim is the "real" method, but, that is BS). This is used anywhere the Adobe RMSDK is used for reading.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2022, 10:25 AM   #1521
jeff47
Connoisseur
jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo Libre H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It is a limitation of ebooks. There is no real concept of "pages". Anything you see is made up using some algorithm. And it is up to the app or device used for reading to calculate the number of pages. For the renderer used for kepubs, it is the number of screens. I think that is a fairly common method as it is simple and obvious what is happening. Another common method is the Adobe method (which certain people around here claim is the "real" method, but, that is BS). This is used anywhere the Adobe RMSDK is used for reading.
It is funny how we get attached to these things. I'm not bothered that the paper edition of Harry Potter is different than the original I read, and therefore has different page numbering. I guess I really just want to have a general concept of how long a book is before I pick it up.
jeff47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 01:10 PM   #1522
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff47 View Post
It is funny how we get attached to these things. I'm not bothered that the paper edition of Harry Potter is different than the original I read, and therefore has different page numbering. I guess I really just want to have a general concept of how long a book is before I pick it up.
Pick an algorithm in count pages configuration AND STICK WITH IT for all books. Now you have a reference: this (X) is shorter than Y

I chose APNX, only because I was using a Kindle as a primary reader AND
Some books (not accessible to count) can not be processed by Calibre to get an alternate count. <-This happens with other brands also
Old 04-19-2022, 05:46 AM   #1523
Lamcza
Lamcza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10th basic
Hello, i'm newbie here ;P i have some problems with page showing up on my kindle after setting up page numbers i mean i get page numeration like 1,2,3,4,6... etc some numbers are clearly missing or i'm gettin something like 1,2,3,4,4,4,5,6,7,7,8... so number are double or triple :P and i cant rly download page info from anywhere, just getting some error about missing id info for chosen sources even if my meta data is pretty accurate and fill up :P
Lamcza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:55 AM   #1524
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamcza View Post
Hello, i'm newbie here ;P i have some problems with page showing up on my kindle after setting up page numbers i mean i get page numeration like 1,2,3,4,6... etc some numbers are clearly missing or i'm gettin something like 1,2,3,4,4,4,5,6,7,7,8... so number are double or triple :P and i cant rly download page info from anywhere, just getting some error about missing id info for chosen sources even if my meta data is pretty accurate and fill up :P
Read the last few posts. There are some comments on page numbering there and how they related to the devices/ereader apps.

But, I have no idea how a Kindle does it's page numbering. There is information in the first post about using the page count calculated with books sent to the Kindle, but, I have no experience with doing this or what happens on a Kindle.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:04 AM   #1525
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
i get page numeration like 1,2,3,4,6... etc some numbers are clearly missing or i'm gettin something like 1,2,3,4,4,4,5,6,7,7,8... so number are double or triple
Those situations are normal. For Kindles page numbering is based on print books, either an actual print edition of a book or an approximate equivalent. One screen of text on a Kindle usually contains the content from only part of a printed page so page numbers do not always advance with every new screen. However sometimes the reverse is true and the number will change by more than one.

Last edited by jhowell; 04-19-2022 at 08:15 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:09 AM   #1526
Lamcza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Those situations are normal. For Kindles page numbering is based on print books, either an actual print edition of a book or an approximate equivalent. One screen of text on a Kindle usually contain the content from only part of a printed page so page numbers do not always advance with every new screen. However sometimes the reverse is true and the number will change by more than one.
But what about totally missing pages like 1234 then 7? What the quack :X
Old 04-19-2022, 08:25 AM   #1527
Lamcza

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Read the last few posts. There are some comments on page numbering there and how they related to the devices/ereader apps.

But, I have no idea how a Kindle does it's page numbering. There is information in the first post about using the page count calculated with books sent to the Kindle, but, I have no experience with doing this or what happens on a Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Those situations are normal. For Kindles page numbering is based on print books, either an actual print edition of a book or an approximate equivalent. One screen of text on a Kindle usually contains the content from only part of a printed page so page numbers do not always advance with every new screen. However sometimes the reverse is true and the number will change by more than one.
I mean I get that it can show more than one of the same pages because of this device/font/formatting reason but missing pages oO like from 5 jump to 7 : o that's strange.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:31 AM   #1528
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
But what about totally missing pages like 1234 then 7? What the quack :X
Quack? You rang!

This Plugin counts, NOT marks (update/changes) the actual book.

APNX file (if exists), has a mapping table . If it is wrong, you need to contact the publisher.
It may be, the 'e' version deliberately dropped pages because of RIGHTS issues with art work in those pages.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:00 AM   #1529
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I mean I get that it can show more than one of the same pages because of this device/font/formatting reason but missing pages oO like from 5 jump to 7 : o that's strange.
That is common in books purchased from Amazon, especially at the end of a chapter. There can be pages with just a few words and others that are blank in the print edition.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:35 PM   #1530
Magic815
Enthusiast
Magic815 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen (2021)
So my plan is to use the Count Pages plugin in conjunction with the KFX Output plugin, by doing this.

If that's set up, do I need to also customize the Kindle 2/3/4/etc device interface plugin to add the #pages column to this field (per the OP)? Or is that duplicative with the behavior I'll get from the KFX Output plugin?
Magic815 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin