Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-22-2020, 07:58 PM   #1
jemimahj
jemimahj began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 7th gen
Ereader that displays book summaries... Kobo, Onyx, LikeBook?

Hello!

I’m looking into getting an ereader and trying to decide between one of the larger kobos or a reader like Onyx or LikeBook with Android (any other suggestions welcome!)

I have a fairly large library, mostly epubs. I don’t have a need to read PDF’s and manga, or for note-taking on this ereader, just regular fiction/non-fiction. I was looking at the Kobo Libra H20 or Forma but I have one ‘requirement’ that may steer me to a different reader

I love using Calibre Companion/Moon Reader on my Android tablet, mostly for the customization and especially the ability to have the book summaries displayed in list form to easily to scroll through when deciding what to read.

Looks like there are plenty of ways to modify or hack the Kobo but can’t seem to find out if this feature is available. I use this feature so much on my tablets, so I’d love to have it on an ereader. For someone that has a Kobo, is there a way to have your books displayed in collections/tags, and then have the book summaries displayed in a list format to scroll through?

Or would I be better off with something like Onyx or LikeBook where it uses Android and I can use CC and Moon+? Looking to get a slightly larger screen, 7-8” as I will mainly be using this reader at home, and I use the iPad for PDF’s/note taking so I don’t need all the extras that are on many of the Onyx books (though they look fun!). High-quality screen, ability to add fonts, warmer light are all pluses, am not hung up on battery life, waterproofing or custom dictionaries.

Thanks so much!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201022-191146.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	182942
jemimahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemimahj View Post
Looks like there are plenty of ways to modify or hack the Kobo but can’t seem to find out if this feature is available. I use this feature so much on my tablets, so I’d love to have it on an ereader. For someone that has a Kobo, is there a way to have your books displayed in collections/tags, and then have the book summaries displayed in a list format to scroll through?
You can create collections manually. Or if you use calibre, you can create them based on any bit of metadata in the calibre library.

For the book description, it can be displayed, but one book at a time. You could generate a catalog using calibre with whatever details you wanted in it, but you cannot the book from there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote