Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2024, 09:25 AM   #1
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
Pen Annotations not Saved to Sideloaded PDF?

Trying to troubleshoot a bizarre bug...

According to the official Kobo help, pen-based annotations are automatically saved to non-protected PDF so that you can just copy the PDF file from the device over to the computer and the annotations will be kept within the annotation layer of the PDF.

However, I cannot get this to work in my own PDF (non-protected) that are sideloaded. These PDF are generated by Adobe based on Microsoft Word .docx files. I tried putting them in the root directory or in a subfolder. Both did not work. The annotations are all visible within the device. I can see them even if I exit the document and return to it later. However, if these annotations are not saved to my PDF.

Help? Is it some bizarre write permission I need to deal with because it is sideloaded?
shyhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 09:46 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Export direct from MS word or LO Writer. Do not involve Adobe.

My PDFs work fine. They are all either manuals or exported from LO Writer.

The issue is likely Adobe, not sideloading.

Sage and Elipsa.

Also view PDFs on Sumatra on Windows or Okular on Linux. Don't used Adobe to view PDFs either.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2024, 10:10 AM   #3
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Thanks, Quoth. I will try LibreOffice (not a previous user). I presume LibreOffice can open .doc / .docx files and can save as .pdf files without using an Adobe Distiller or Postscript driver, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Export direct from MS word or LO Writer. Do not involve Adobe.

My PDFs work fine. They are all either manuals or exported from LO Writer.

The issue is likely Adobe, not sideloading.

Sage and Elipsa.

Also view PDFs on Sumatra on Windows or Okular on Linux. Don't used Adobe to view PDFs either.
Old 05-26-2024, 10:48 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyhermit View Post
Thanks, Quoth. I will try LibreOffice (not a previous user). I presume LibreOffice can open .doc / .docx files and can save as .pdf files without using an Adobe Distiller or Postscript driver, correct?
It's best to save /edit in odt format.

Do turn off most Autocorrect and check all the settings in Options. Your document position is remember if you put your name in Tools->Options and use odt format.

LO Writer will open more kinds of MS doc than current MS Word.

Only Save As an additional docx if needed (i.e. for Calibre or a Word user) and don't edit it, as every load/save of doc or docx is two conversions.

When you open a doc or docx, do check all the page styles, paragraph styles, headings and links are OK. You need to do this with MS Word too if moving between '95, 2000, XP/2002, 2003, 2007, 2021, 365 versions of doc or docx.

You export a PDF, rather than save as. No additional SW needed. I used to use 5.x on Windows XP as well as MS Word. I'm on 7.4 now on Linux, but have it on a Win10 I never use.

Sumatra seems best PDF reader now on Windows. Years ago it would have been FoxIt rather than Adobe Acrobat. Adobe is now only interested in renting out Corporate applications.

I edit all the documents in odt and export PDF or an extra Save As in doc or docx as required.

Some versions of MS Word export PDF and I had a not too bad plugin for Word 2002/XP (but MS has deleted that from their site and wants you to rent 365), but it was never as good as LO Writer. I also had a free "printer" on XP and win7 that could accept multiple print jobs and then you went to Properties and exported the PDF file. It wasn't a physical device.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-26-2024 at 10:55 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:03 AM   #5
shyhermit
Connoisseur

Update: Following Quoth's advice, the issue was solved. Indeed, somehow the converted document by Adobe was the problem. Just bizarre.

These are great advice. Thank you. I used to use FoxIt but it got bloated over the years. I will check out Sumatra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's best to save /edit in odt format.

Do turn off most Autocorrect and check all the settings in Options. Your document position is remember if you put your name in Tools->Options and use odt format.

LO Writer will open more kinds of MS doc than current MS Word.

Only Save As an additional docx if needed (i.e. for Calibre or a Word user) and don't edit it, as every load/save of doc or docx is two conversions.

When you open a doc or docx, do check all the page styles, paragraph styles, headings and links are OK. You need to do this with MS Word too if moving between '95, 2000, XP/2002, 2003, 2007, 2021, 365 versions of doc or docx.

You export a PDF, rather than save as. No additional SW needed. I used to use 5.x on Windows XP as well as MS Word. I'm on 7.4 now on Linux, but have it on a Win10 I never use.

Sumatra seems best PDF reader now on Windows. Years ago it would have been FoxIt rather than Adobe Acrobat. Adobe is now only interested in renting out Corporate applications.

I edit all the documents in odt and export PDF or an extra Save As in doc or docx as required.

Some versions of MS Word export PDF and I had a not too bad plugin for Word 2002/XP (but MS has deleted that from their site and wants you to rent 365), but it was never as good as LO Writer. I also had a free "printer" on XP and win7 that could accept multiple print jobs and then you went to Properties and exported the PDF file. It wasn't a physical device.

Last edited by shyhermit; 05-26-2024 at 07:27 PM.
Advert