Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
sarajaner
sarajaner began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
Obtaining PID

I know that there are several threads about obtaining your Kindle PID, but I can't find one that explains why it's not working when I follow Igor Skockinchski's instructions. I get to the part where I'm asked to put my Kindle serial number in, but then it gives me nothing, no error message, nothing when I put my serial number in. It's a B003 serial number. When I type help it says python: Python not found.
Kindle Scripts: Igor Skockinchski's Kindle scripts not found Can anyone help me out here?
Thanks!
sarajaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
1. "Phyton not found" looks like you don't have phyton installed, have you?
2. What firmware are you running on your K2? If it is > 2.5.x you won't be able to get your PID and remove DRM with it anymore. You just have the possibility to use unswindle or skindle script to get rid of your DRM.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Does 2.5.x break these even if you already know your PID (got it before installing the update)?
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Yes - if you purchase an ebook for the Kindle with the 2.5.x update, the hacks don't work. If you purchase an ebook for K4PC - skindle will still work.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
sarajaner

I'm not sure what firmware I have. I just got my Kindle new at Christmas, so it has whatever firmware they were using at the time. I have installed the Kindle hack to put other screen savers in. My husband also said that we did install Python. I guess it's not recognizing it.

Last edited by sarajaner; 07-02-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
are you running the python scripts/tool from the same file directory that has the python.exe file?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
What I'm not sure of is how Amazon "knows" what firmware is running on the Kindle the files are sent to. I suppose this is sent as part of the request the Kindle "checks in" with.

I haven't updated yet as I'm not sure yet whether this is a big deal to me -- I don't re-share books (unless letting someone borrow the Kindle counts, and that's not wrong in any way), and don't bother editing them to fix mistakes, as most of them are minor -- but then again it'd be nice to be able to back them up in case something ever goes wrong, or to use them on a future book reader that doesn't exist now.

Of course, it won't be that much longer until the Kindle 3 is out if rumors are accurate, and I could always keep the Kindle I've got now on 2.3.x and get the new features via the 3.

Hopefully in the meantime someone will come up with a fix for the PID extraction scripts (which aren't illegal in and of themselves).

I can't help with the Python problem, as I ran the script on a Mac which comes with Python already installed, but it really does look like the interpreter isn't being found.

To find your firmware version, exit to the home screen, then press MENU and select the SETTINGS option with the 4-way joystick, then press the stick to select it. The firmware version is at the lower right corner of the screen (I see, for example, "Version: Kindle 2.3 (399380047)").

I strongly suggest entering contact info for yourself while at this screen if you haven't already done so. It never hurts to have this available in case of loss. For safety's sake, my Kindle's personal info listing has a Google Voice forwarding number, an email address that goes to my personal domain that has a masked registry entry, and my work mailing address.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
If it comes to it you can send me your serial and I can send you the PID... but if you want to do it send me a PM and dont post it here.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
sarajaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
are you running the python scripts/tool from the same file directory that has the python.exe file?
Hmm, maybe this is the problem, but I'm not sure how to figure this out.

Wizard, I'd love for that kind of help, but is it safe to give out my serial number?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
All files and scripts must be in the same directory. After downloading and installing the python files, put igors stuff in the same directory. There may also be a pathway problem too ... see https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Install_Python_Windows for help with this issue.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote