Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
B&N runs an online bookstore but its is not integrated with the stores. It is really a separate business that only shares its name with the stores.

Look at how Amazon runs its bookstores: they are extensions of the online store. They draw reviews and recommendations from their online customers. You can pay at the store using your online account or buy online from the store. If you're a Prime member, you get online pricing instore.
Yeah, I worked for B&N for a little bit a few years ago. I always thought it was weird the way B&N online wasn't integrated in any meaningful way with the stores. Any time customers came in and talked about the price online (for instance) we had to go through the spiel that online was a separate business. It never made B&N look good.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #32
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The people that pay $10,000 to purchase a gold Apple Watch can pay to have a drone deliver it.
If that's the kind of high-value cargo drones will be used for I expect it could quickly be followed by a wave of drone-hijacker gangs
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #33
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
It's far too early to tell whether drones will ever be a viable delivery system, either generally or for specific instances. But don't write them off either. It's nice to imagine my letterbox being replaced with a drone delivery dock perhaps broadcasting its identification. It may well come to nothing, but it wouldn't be the first idea to be ridiculed only to later become ubiquitous.

Amazon and others are trying to innovate and are on the lookout to buy companies that are innovating. There are ways to at least potentially avoid the innovator's dilemma which B&N did not try. Amazon does seem to be trying at least some of them.

Last edited by darryl; 09-04-2018 at 09:40 PM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:07 PM   #34
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Yeah, I worked for B&N for a little bit a few years ago. I always thought it was weird the way B&N online wasn't integrated in any meaningful way with the stores. Any time customers came in and talked about the price online (for instance) we had to go through the spiel that online was a separate business. It never made B&N look good.
Towards the end, I would go to my local Barnes & Noble to see what was new. When I would find a book that I wanted, the first thing I did was look to see if it was available as an ebook at B&N. Usually, the answer was no. Then I would check the Kindle store, where more often than not, I found it. Only if the ebook wasn't available did I buy the dead tree edition (usually non fiction, since most new SF&F was at the kindle store).

What I really wanted to do was pick up the book, scan the bar code in my Nook app, and have it say "yep, we have that, would you like to buy it". Of course, that was purely a pipe dream.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:16 PM   #35
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
It's far too early to tell whether drones will ever be a viable delivery system, either generally or for specific instances. But don't write them off either. It's nice to imagine my letterbox being replaced with a drone delivery dock perhaps broadcasting its identification. It may well come to nothing, but it wouldn't be the first idea to be ridiculed only to later become ubiquitous.

Amazon and others are trying to innovate and are on the lookout to buy companies that are innovating. There are ways to at least potentially avoid the innovator's dilemma which B&N did not try. Amazon does seem to be trying at least some of them.
Drones are a lot like battery technology. Everyone imagines how wonderful it will be, but the issue is that they still haven't made that big breakthrough, thought they have been saying it's just around the corner for a decade now. Drones have to solve the problem of lift capacity, range and control. Even if they solve all that, you still have a range of issues with automated delivery. There was a pretty good article about the problems they need to solve before automated delivery becomes practical about a year ago when Amazon first started talking about drones. It's non trivial for sure. Keep in mind that what they need is automated drone delivery, not remote controlled drone delivery.
Advert
Old 09-05-2018, 07:48 AM   #36
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Drones are a lot like battery technology. Everyone imagines how wonderful it will be, but the issue is that they still haven't made that big breakthrough, thought they have been saying it's just around the corner for a decade now. Drones have to solve the problem of lift capacity, range and control. Even if they solve all that, you still have a range of issues with automated delivery. There was a pretty good article about the problems they need to solve before automated delivery becomes practical about a year ago when Amazon first started talking about drones. It's non trivial for sure. Keep in mind that what they need is automated drone delivery, not remote controlled drone delivery.
Exactly. For it to really be workable, they need to be able to load up the drone, put in an address, and have it come back to the warehouse automatically. This part shouldn't be too hard. Maybe people have a transponder at their house to offset GPS inaccuracies.

Unfortunately, I can see many drones being waylaid and their packages stolen.

In my opinion, it won't be technology that stops the drone delivery program, but human cussedness.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Drones are a lot like battery technology. Everyone imagines how wonderful it will be, but the issue is that they still haven't made that big breakthrough, thought they have been saying it's just around the corner for a decade now.
It'll happen right about the same time that we have the year of the Linux desktop (another phenomena that's been 'right around the corner' for a decade or so).
Old 09-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Towards the end, I would go to my local Barnes & Noble to see what was new. When I would find a book that I wanted, the first thing I did was look to see if it was available as an ebook at B&N. Usually, the answer was no. Then I would check the Kindle store, where more often than not, I found it. Only if the ebook wasn't available did I buy the dead tree edition (usually non fiction, since most new SF&F was at the kindle store).
That surprises me. Kindle has more indies, for sure. But any book B&N would sell in their store *should* have been available online. B&N, Kobo and Amazon always seemed to be pretty evenly matched when it came to Big 5 books you could pick up in your average book store.

One of the benefits of the Nook is that if you take it into the store with you, you can access any book online and read it for an hour, free.

Quote:
What I really wanted to do was pick up the book, scan the bar code in my Nook app, and have it say "yep, we have that, would you like to buy it". Of course, that was purely a pipe dream.
Yeah, that seems like a feature that would have been easy to implement.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Unfortunately, I can see many drones being waylaid and their packages stolen.
Like how people follow the delivery trucks around and steal packages from porches now? Thieves are going to thieve. It's a cost of doing business. I don't really envision drone thievery being any more prevalent than the current package thievery is.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Like how people follow the delivery trucks around and steal packages from porches now? Thieves are going to thieve. It's a cost of doing business. I don't really envision drone thievery being any more prevalent than the current package thievery is.
Though I don't think drone delivery will become the norm, one point in their favor is that they could theoretically leave packages in your back yard, whereas most delivery trucks leave a package on your front porch. So hey, drone delivery could be a little more secure, I guess.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:13 PM   #41
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That surprises me. Kindle has more indies, for sure. But any book B&N would sell in their store *should* have been available online. B&N, Kobo and Amazon always seemed to be pretty evenly matched when it came to Big 5 books you could pick up in your average book store.

One of the benefits of the Nook is that if you take it into the store with you, you can access any book online and read it for an hour, free.

That wasn't my experience, at least not back when I was still playing around with the B&N online store. This was before the big indie movement. yea, I found it surprising as well, but that's what I found.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #42
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Big 5, probably, but when I checked last (been a while) there was all kinds of non-fiction stuff from University presses and specialty publishers available at Amazon & not B&N.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #43
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Big 5, probably, but when I checked last (been a while) there was all kinds of non-fiction stuff from University presses and specialty publishers available at Amazon & not B&N.
I normally checked the SF&F section, then the History and various non fiction categories. I almost never found the history books that I wanted as ebooks at B&N, but a surprising number of SF&F as well. It simply could have been that B&N (or the publishers) were a bit slow at adding those books to the ebook store. As I said, it was a number of years ago, just after the Nook first came out.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #44
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:

They should also have been able to handle any nook warranty problems for you if you brought it to the store. All they would do is give you a number to call.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
True, but the post I was responding to was talking about paper books in the Science Fiction/Fantasy section of the B&N store that were also available as ebooks at Amazon, but not at B&N.

The differences between Amazon and B&N's list of such mainstream books should have been vanishingly small. If you have a paper book available in the SF/F section of B&N, it's likely a Big 5 book, especially if you're talking nearly ten years ago when the Nook was first released.