stagnite
stagnite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Software update killed my Kindle Paperwhite

Hi Everyone,

My 3 year old, little used Kindle Paperwhite is stuck on the screen:

"Your Kindle software is updating.
This can take a few minutes.

DO NOT turn off your kindle during the update process.

Your Kindle will restart automatically as soon as the update is complete."

That was a week ago!

Since then I have tried everything. Holding the only button for 40 seconds will cause the screen to flash clear then black, then it just goes back to the software updating screen.
Amazon have told me the machine cannot be fixed.
I now have the battery out hoping that might fix it but no joy. The screen remains stuck on either the software updating screen, or a plain screen if I disconnect the battery whilst the screen is flashing.

When I connect the Kindle to my laptop (Windows) the laptop will not recognise the Kindle.

Surely there must be a way of wiping the memory and re-booting?!?!? Using a defibrulator

Anyone have any other ideas?

The best option so far is to buy a new one with a 15% discount that I have been offered.

It seems mad to throw it away as all the hardware is working.

Thanks in advance.
stagnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have three Paperwhites. The update caused me no problems. One of my Paperwhites locked up earlier this week. It wouldn't reset. I finally forced it to reset while it was plugged into an electrical outlet and it seems to be working fine, now. It was my oldest Paperwhite that locked up.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2018, 06:15 AM   #3
Bethann
Bethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enough

Device: paperwhite, nook, Kobo mini
Update also killed my paperwhite! The battery no longer holds a charge even with the wifi off and in sleep mode, and also did a reset to no avail! If they don't make this good, no more kindles for me.

Last edited by Bethann; 08-15-2018 at 06:16 AM. Reason: addition
Bethann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethann View Post
Update also killed my paperwhite! The battery no longer holds a charge even with the wifi off and in sleep mode, and also did a reset to no avail! If they don't make this good, no more kindles for me.
I can certainly understand. If Amazon doesn't do what you want, to hell with them whether the problem was caused by the update or not. So far, two reports of distinctly different problems out of how many receiving the update?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
Bethann
Bethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enough

Device: paperwhite, nook, Kobo mini
This is a new paperwhite (only a few months old), so I would expect it to have a good battery. Worked ok before update, so I assume it is related to that.

No need to swear, patrickt. Very rude!
Bethann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethann View Post
This is a new paperwhite (only a few months old), so I would expect it to have a good battery. Worked ok before update, so I assume it is related to that.

No need to swear, patrickt. Very rude!
I would definitely get hold of Amazon and request a replacement.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagnite View Post
The best option so far is to buy a new one with a 15% discount that I have been offered.
That's ridiculous. It was obviously a working Paperwhite before the attempted upgrade, or it wouldn't have attempted to do it. Someone at Amazon needs to offer a repair or replacement — a 15% discount is an insult.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's ridiculous. It was obviously a working Paperwhite before the attempted upgrade, or it wouldn't have attempted to do it. Someone at Amazon needs to offer a repair or replacement — a 15% discount is an insult.
How so? It is 3 years old and out of warranty. Now Amazon is to blame for not offering enough? That is akin of saying: Oh sure, it says 1 year warranty, but don't worry, we got you covered.

ETA: When I bought my Voyages (both dead now - died after warranty expired - one stepped on, the other chewed up by the dog) I asked before placing the order if my Special Offers could be transferred from old Paperwhites to the new Voyages. The person in chat was very nice and did so. Come to find out later that they simply turned Special Offers off on the PWs, and the new Voyages were offer free once they connected the first time. But the Special Offers were still gone on the PWs (I could turn them back off without paying on device page). If I knew ahead of time that this was the case, I would not have asked for it.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 08-16-2018 at 09:15 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:10 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
How so? It is 3 years old and out of warranty. Now Amazon is to blame for not offering enough? That is akin of saying: Oh sure, it says 1 year warranty, but don't worry, we got you covered.
This was an automatic, unrequested upgrade — performed by Amazon — that turned a working Kindle into a brick. Something obviously went wrong in their (Amazon's) update process. This is the responsibility of the company doing the updates — not the one who's working device was ruined by the update.

You would think a pro-active Amazon would replace the the Kindle just so they could study the bricked one to see what went wrong in an attempt to insure that it didn't happen again.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:01 AM   #10
rioachim
Enthusiast
rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: PW2
I have 3 kindles, updated them tens of times, never had any issue. If you have problems it might be that the flash memory has corrupted blocks and this results into a failed update. This means the memory of tou device has issues, not Amazon’s updates. Chill out, these are good devices and you’ll find out after you try another worse brand.
rioachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:05 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioachim View Post
I have 3 kindles, updated them tens of times, never had any issue. If you have problems it might be that the flash memory has corrupted blocks and this results into a failed update. This means the memory of tou device has issues, not Amazon’s updates. Chill out, these are good devices and you’ll find out after you try another worse brand.
It also "might be" that the firmware update was corrupted in the download. We don't know. What we do know is that, for whatever reason, a working Kindle was bricked by Amazon's automated update process. In my opinion, Amazon should take ownership of that problem.

And I've never been able to grasp the point in the "my Kindles didn't ever puke on an upgrade, therefore it's not a big deal that they did puke on someone else's upgrade" argument. I've never had upgrade issues with my Kindles either, but I don't see how that makes it any more palatable for someone who's Kindle was bricked by an automatic Amazon upgrade. If anything, I would tend to think it would make it ever more frustrating for someone so "lucky."
Old 08-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
patrickt
Wizard

Coincidence does not establish causation.

When I've had a serious problem with my Kindle I couldn't solve I called Customer Service. Works for me.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Coincidence does not establish causation.

When I've had a serious problem with my Kindle I couldn't solve I called Customer Service. Works for me.
Since the OP was offered a 15% discount by Amazon, I'm guessing he did contact Amazon. Their "fix" seems to be "buy a new Kindle."

EDIT: It should probably be mentioned that the OP posted over a week ago and hasn't come back, so it may be the Paperwhite wasn't permanently locked up and did (eventually) restart.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-17-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:47 AM   #14
stagnite
stagnite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Since the OP was offered a 15% discount by Amazon, I'm guessing he did contact Amazon. Their "fix" seems to be "buy a new Kindle."

EDIT: It should probably be mentioned that the OP posted over a week ago and hasn't come back, so it may be the Paperwhite wasn't permanently locked up and did (eventually) restart.
Correct, Amazons best solution was to give me a 15% reduction in the cost of a new replacement.
Since my OP, I have removed the battery in the hope it might wipe out the memory and associated problem but no such luck. Still a useless brick that will not move out of the update mode.

It was an automatic update that killed the KP.

Not happy but thanks for your input guys and gals.
stagnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #15
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
15%? That's a joke given you could get a bigger discount by mailing in the bricked kindle, collecting a 5 dollar credit and qualify for a 25% off discount thru the trade in program.

They should have given you a working refurb or half off a new one given it was the update that bricked it.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote