Notices

Old 09-14-2018, 04:30 PM   #46
Primus_Pilus
Supervillain Consultant
Primus_Pilus began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX 10.3, Kobo Aura ONE, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Why use Epubor? If you install Apprentice Alf's free tools into Calibre, you can make this a simple single-step process. DRM will break as you import the file into Calibre.
1) I didn't know about Apprentice Alf's toolset, so thanks
2) Already paid for Epubor and got my mileage out of it.
Primus_Pilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #47
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Kindle to Kobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have a Kobo, but only buy from Amazon. I convert those books to ePub in Calibre, then use Kobo Extended to convert those ePubs to kepubs when I send them to my reader. With all that converting, I've never noticed any conversion issues (the bulk of my reading is fiction, so maybe the typically simple formatting helps).
I have been using Kindles for quite some time, but just purchased the Kobo Aura on a whim, and I love it. Can I convert the Kindle books I own to be able to read them on the Kobo? They are all purchased books, with DRM, I assume. Thank you.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
I have been using Kindles for quite some time, but just purchased the Kobo Aura on a whim, and I love it. Can I convert the Kindle books I own to be able to read them on the Kobo? They are all purchased books, with DRM, I assume. Thank you.
Calibre is the answer to that. Plus the Apprentice Alf tools for DRM removal as mentioned in the previous few posts.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #49
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Yep. You'll need Calibre and Apprentice Alf's DeDRM tools. I convert my purchased Amazon books to ePub all the time.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:29 PM   #50
goldmine1965
goldmine1965 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I agree with the other posts. I just used Calibre and Apprentice Alf DeDRM and converted all of my Kindle books and loaded them on to my Clara HD.
goldmine1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #51
veereihen6
veereihen6 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
I went from a PW2 to an Aura One. The only thing I miss is Goodreads integration. Other than that I haven't looked back. Overdrive and Pocket support is a plus. I've also found that Calibre handles my collections better with Kobo than Kindle.
veereihen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #52
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Hey, I've been on vacation, but others have answered your question. To give a little more detail, I run Windows 10. On it, I use Kindle for PC.

1: Download Kindle for PC. This will let you download all of your Kindle books to your PC.

I use an older version, 1.17.1 available here. I use the older version, because I prefer not dealing with .KFX format. You may want to go in to options and tell the program not to auto-update.

Once installed, the downloaded books will be in the Documents/My Kindle Content folder. They will have DRM at this point. Do NOT move the books into Calibre until you finish the rest of the steps.

2: Install Calibre, available here.

3: Install Apprentice Alf's DeDRM plug-in for Calibre. I don't know if I can link to it, but a simple Google search should find it.

4: Once you have the Alf plug-ins installed in Calibre, you should be able to drag the book files from the Documents/My Kindle Content folder to Calibre. If you use the old version of Kindle for PC I linked to, these will be the files in the .azw format. (There will be other files in the folder as well. You don't need to touch these.)

It's a simple drag and drop. Nothing to muss with. The DeDRM plug in works automagically as the books are added to Calibre.

Setting this up takes maybe fifteen minutes. After that, whenever I buy books from Amazon, I fire up Kindle for PC, download the new books and drop them in Calibre. It takes three to five minutes, if that.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-22-2018 at 08:53 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #53
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Hey, I've been on vacation, but others have answered your question. To give a little more detail, I run Windows 10. On it, I use Kindle for PC.

1: Download Kindle for PC. This will let you download all of your Kindle books to your PC.

I use an older version, 1.17.1 available here. I use the older version, because I prefer not dealing with .KFX format. You may want to go in to options and tell the program not to auto-update.

Once installed, the downloaded books will be in the Documents/My Kindle Content folder. They will have DRM at this point. Do NOT move the books into Calibre until you finish the rest of the steps.

2: Install Calibre, available here.

3: Install Apprentice Alf's DeDRM plug-in for Calibre. I don't know if I can link to it, but a simple Google search should find it.

4: Once you have the Alf plug-ins installed in Calibre, you should be able to drag the book files from the Documents/My Kindle Content folder to Calibre. If you use the old version of Kindle for PC I linked to, these will be the files in the .azw format. (There will be other files in the folder as well. You don't need to touch these.)

It's a simple drag and drop. Nothing to muss with. The DeDRM plug in works automagically as the books are added to Calibre.

Setting this up takes maybe fifteen minutes. After that, whenever I buy books from Amazon, I fire up Kindle for PC, download the new books and drop them in Calibre. It takes three to five minutes, if that.

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I only have an iPad, and a recently purchased Chromebook, and there doesn't seem to be any way to install Calibre on either.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:05 PM   #54
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Minor nit: I prefer using the Add Books functionality in calibre to add books and remove the DRM. When I tried dragging books to calibre, at times there were some oddities in handling the files.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:50 AM   #55
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by veereihen6 View Post
I went from a PW2 to an Aura One. The only thing I miss is Goodreads integration.

There is a Goodreads plugin for Calibre that you can setup to automatically sync your reading status from the Kobo device with Goodreads every time you plug in your device... works like a charm
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:06 AM   #56
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I only have an iPad, and a recently purchased Chromebook, and there doesn't seem to be any way to install Calibre on either.

You could install either the Linux or Windows version of Calibre inside a virtual machine on your Chomebook:

For Linux: Crostini Project still in beta I think): https://www.aboutchromebooks.com/tag/project-crostini/
For Windows: https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-chromeos
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #57
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Minor nit: I prefer using the Add Books functionality in calibre to add books and remove the DRM. When I tried dragging books to calibre, at times there were some oddities in handling the files.
What can I say? I'm lazy Dragging/dropping has worked for me (so far).
Old 09-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #58
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Yeah, when you see reviews that say Chromebooks work in 99% of situations, now you know what they mean.

I've read about being able to install Linux apps on Chromebooks. And Caliber works on Linux. Maybe there will now be a way to install Calibre to a Chromebook? I couldn't say. I haven't messed with Linux for years and my Chromebook is old enough that I can't even install Android apps on it.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #59
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I haven't switched but I did buy an Aura One this week and am enjoying it as an addition to my Kindle.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #60
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I haven't switched but I did buy an Aura One this week and am enjoying it as an addition to my Kindle.
best of both worlds.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote