Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Kivgaen
Enthusiast
Kivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enough

Device: all devices
ePub files to iPad without iBook?

Okay, so I'm in Canada, and the iPad hasn't "officially" been released here yet, but my boss went on vacation to Florida last week and bought one while he was down there.

So now I'm holding it in my hands, and I want to be able to get our .epub files on it so we can test them out, except that we can't get the Apple iBook application without a US credit card linked to a US billing address! (Long story -- see my boss's blog here if you want more details, and what "Steve Jobs" had to say about it: http://ray.bridgeblogging.com/?p=255

Anyway -- is there a way that we can test out our epub files on the iPad without using the official iBook application which we are not "allowed" to buy yet?

If anyone has any answers for me, I'd really appreciate the assistance.
Kivgaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
plenty of other epub readers for the ipad. readMe for starters. search for "epub" in the itunes store and you'll find plenty more. you don't need to use the iBooks app.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Kivgaen
Enthusiast
Kivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the comment, but you really didnt answer my questions.

I've downloaded Bookshelf lt, which looks promising, but i can't figure out how to get my .epub files onto the device to be read by the reader.

Does anyone have a guide out there about exactly what i need to do to get my .epub files onto the iPad and be able to read them? I'm struggling right now with figuring out which applications are built specifically for the iPhone, and which for are for the iPad. I don't want an iPhone app because then I'll have this tiny little screen on the iPad that only shows me a quarter of what I would have seen if I tried it using an iPad specific application instead.

Bookshelf looks like it might work, but I can't figure out how to get the epub files loaded.

Can anyone offer more specific guidance?

Last edited by Kivgaen; 04-28-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: to fix grammar and make my post more legible
Old 04-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I use Stanza and Calibre to transfer epubs from my computer to my iPhone. Stanza is on the iPhone and Calibre handles the transfer over wifi. Unfortunately, Amazon has not made a version of Stanza for the iPad so you may have to wait until iBooks is released in your country.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...-iphone-itouch
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

I'm sorry, you asked how to get epub files onto your iPad. I pointed out the app "readMe" which is available for the iPad. If you purchase it and follow it's guided instructions it will tell you how to load your ePub files onto the iPad and then you can view them with the readMe application.

I also pointed out that there are several other applications you can try if you don't like readMe, using iTunes, if you go to the App store and do a search on keyword ePub you'll get a list of such applications. The loading procedure differs between each application, so without knowing what one you're using, we can't provide more specific instructions.

You never mentioned an iPhone in your first posting, you only asked how to get ePub files onto your iPad.

You also might find explicit instructions on how to use an application on that particular application's web site or forums.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Why can't you just use iTunes on your computer. Copy your epub book to iTunes then sync to the iPad.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books

Lee, Canada doesn't officially have the iPad yet, so the Canadian iTunes store does not have the iBooks application available to them. While she could load ePubs into iTunes, it won't sync them over to the iPad unless she somehow gets the iBooks application, something she can't do without starting a US account.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
Kivgaen
Enthusiast

My previous post obviously was using poor grammar and I didn't clearly get acorss my point -- I have corrected the post now.

Anyway... I think I figured it out!

I had downloaded BookShelf lt but couldn't figure out how to get the files over to the iPad. I figured out that I needed to install this wifi server on the PC so that I could share the files and then download them using the bookshelf app itself. It was a bit convoluted to figure out how to get them to the app, but it works now and they look beautiful!

Thanks for the help everyone

Last edited by Kivgaen; 04-28-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
if you do want to try ibooks. you can create a US itunes account and then you will be able to download it.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote