Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 04:06 AM   #1
egees
egees began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle 3 Outside the US

Hi guys,

I have been reading regarding the Kindle 3 and its issues outside the US for awhile now, on this forum.

However, I still have a few doubts that I need to clear before I purchase the kindle.

I am currently located in China and I will be able to get my hands on a US Kindle3. I did some research on the Amazon Kindle Books that I intend to buy and many of those books are only available on the US site.

The link from michaelyung sites suggests a method to purchase books from the US Kindle site without being physically located in the US.

I would like to know if the method this works, by using a US VPN and changing the address in "Manage your Kindle" to a US address. Also, I read that there is also another "Gift Card" method that some members used with success, is that also still working?

Are there any other known methods that are working right now?

Please kindly point me in the right direction!
egees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
it works using a REAL USA address, but not sure if the fake ones work anymore. I have never used a VPN for amazon books.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, egees.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:56 AM   #4
liddlepiggy
liddlepiggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi Egees, if you like, try without using vpn. You might be lucky like pushka.

I tried it but was unsuccessful, having received an email from Amazon the next day asking for verification etc. (However, I did use whispernet for this which is a big no no.) So if you want to try your luck, use a gift card + no vpn and buy it from ur PC rather than ur kindle. If you do receive an email, wait a few days and use the gift card + vpn method. This method is working for me and a lot of unlucky people.
liddlepiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Nanoox
Kindlicious.
Nanoox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (2010)
Hi.

I'm a super noob, having had my Kindle 3 less than a month now. I'm not sure if this is entirely relevant to the discussion, but I have a US Kindle 3 and am based in Mexico. My Amazon account is referred to a US mailing address, which is also my billing address for my credit card.

I have no problems purchasing US editions while I'm in Mexico, and receive the books via WhisperNet.

The only thing I have not been able to make work is that Whispernet syncing of my position when I read in the Kindle app on my iPhone while in Mexico doesn't update to my Kindle (a real pain in the butt). Otherwise, no problems that I'm aware of yet.
Nanoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert