Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #16
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Oh, I'm curious. The Tempest? The Ice Storm? The Perfect Storm? Wuthering Heights?
The Perfect Storm .

I have to confess that I haven't read it, but have sailed all my life and done a lot of work in the marine industry, others of similar ilk who have tried it advise not to bother; creative nonfiction taken to the limits of max creativity. So I have made a point of avoiding the book and the movie.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
That's awesome! I've always wanted to learn to sail.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2019, 10:19 PM   #18
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All of these look good to me, so my votes are 1 each to:

-Ghosts of the Tsunami
-Season of Migration to the North
-The Indifferent Stars Above
-The Shipping News
-The Rainbow
-Typhoon
-The Hard Blue Sky
-Heavy Weather
-Light in August
Old 11-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #19
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I feel like this is cheating as I have read three of the books in this list already.

I'll give two each to:
  • Conrad, as shorter might be better on a holiday month
  • Faulkner, as I wrote my thesis on him and this is one of my favorites
  • Parry, as I can't not vote for my own nomination

I will save my last three to see if anything is neck and neck later on.

I can't bring myself to vote for Proulx as I remember being profoundly disturbed by that book on first reading.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #20
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
My votes are:

2 for Light in August, William Faulkner
2 for The Indifferent Stars Above, Daniel James Brown
2 for The Shipping News, Annie Proulx
2 for Ghosts of the Tsunami, Richard Lloyd Parry
1 for Heavy Weather, P.G. Wodehouse

In the Didion thread I mentioned that I had bought the Daugherty biography of Joan Didion. I had not intended getting into it for some time but after browsing it I think it may explain some of my reservations about The Year of Magical Thinking plus it has interesting tie ins with American history. So I couldn't help myself but to start reading it straight away. Daugherty claims that Didion's mother was descended from one of the ill fated Donner party but that she and her husband, a minister, split from the party in Nevada. He has quite a bit to say about this as apparently Didion was as a young girl obsessed with the story of the party (and apparently it comes up later in her life as well but I have not got that far yet). This month's nomination The Indifferent Stars Above relates the story of the Donner party through the eyes of one of its members.

Confession: I read The Shipping News many years ago, but I now remember little of its detail; it has been on my to-reread list for some time, so a selfish nomination and votes from me.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 11-07-2019 at 10:25 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
It's been a very long week. These are great choices! It will take some thoughtful consideration. I will post my votes in the morning.

Great info on Didion! I was unaware of the Donner connection. I have been to the memorial museum near Lake Tahoe, California and read History of the Donner Party by C.F. McGlashan which I bought at the giftshop.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:11 AM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The nominations are so good this month that I don’t have a strong preference. I am going with 1 vote each for the following choices. I think we are heading for a runoff vote.

The Shipping News by Annie Proulx

Heavy Weather by P.G. Wodehouse

Typhoon by Joseph Conrad

Snow by Orhan Pamuk

The Hard Blue Sky by Shirley Ann Grau

The Indifferent Stars Above by Daniel James Brown

Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih

Ghosts of the Tsunami by Richard Lloyd Parry

Light in August by William Faulkner

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 11-09-2019 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #23
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Initial voting is complete and we have a tie! The tie is between the last two nominations:

-Ghosts of the Tsunami
-Light in August

Run-off voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly TWO DAYS from this post.

Each person has ONE vote to use.

If the run-off ends in a tie, the selection that received all its votes first will win.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

So it's tsunami versus August light.

It's down to two now but looking at all the nominations, we have another impressive group this month. There are eight different decades represented and six countries, and a big variety of topic interpretation.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #25
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

It was good mix of books in region and time period this month! I'm ok with either of these choices for the winner.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

A little over five hours left to vote in the run-off!
Old 11-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #27
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I was watching to see if anyone had a strong preference.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #28
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I was watching to see if anyone had a strong preference.
Me too, lol.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #29
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

We all voted equally for them too.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #30
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I've read them both, so I am going to defer to folks who haven't read one or the other.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote