Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #451
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Nook Glowlight 3
Tom Robbins' Jitterbug Perfume is $1.99 at Amazon. I've only read his Even Cowgirls Get the Blues and Still Life With Woodpecker, but I can tell you a Tom Robbins book isn't like anything else. He's often labelled as a humorist, and his books do have humor, but I think that's a very limiting description. Some critic had described his books as garage door openers for the mind. I like that better. Well worth trying.

Quote:
Jitterbug Perfume is an epic.

Which is to say, it begins in the forests of ancient Bohemia and doesn’t conclude until nine o’clock tonight (Paris time).

It is a saga, as well. A saga must have a hero, and the hero of this one is a janitor with a missing bottle.

The bottle is blue, very, very old, and embossed with the image of a goat-horned god.

If the liquid in the bottle actually is the secret essence of the universe, as some folks seem to think, it had better be discovered soon because it is leaking and there is only a drop or two left.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-07-2019 at 11:11 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:40 PM   #452
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 4, 5, 7 & 8, Nook ST, Glo, HD+, Echos
Historical fiction:

Cynthia Harrod-Eagle's Morland Dynasty has been reduced substantially. Several of the early novels are .99 and many others are $3.99 at Amazon. Select KINDLE STORE first and then search Morland Dynasty or not all the kindle books will show up. There are 35 books to this series (and yes, I already had them all for my Mom!). Pretty rare for it to be discounted like this.

Morland Dynasty follows a family from the medieval era right through WW1.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-08-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #453
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Historical fiction:

Cynthia Harrod-Eagle's Morland Dynasty has been reduced substantially. Several of the early novels are .99 and many others are $3.99 at Amazon. Select KINDLE STORE first and then search Morland Dynasty or not all the kindle books will show up. There are 35 books to this series (and yes, I already had them all for my Mom!). Pretty rare for it to be discounted like this.

Morland Dynasty follows a family from the medieval era right through WW1.

Never heard of this author but it looks interesting, if daunting - 35 book series! I’d appreciate hearing from anyone who’s read these novels. Are they more historical than romantic? Action? All reviews and comments appreciated.
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #454
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Very good series . Have read most of them. Each of them can be read as a stand alone. I would call them more a saga than Romance.
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:16 PM   #455
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
Very good series . Have read most of them. Each of them can be read as a stand alone. I would call them more a saga than Romance.
Thanks - took a leap of faith & bought the first five.
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2019, 01:21 PM   #456
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wasn't sure if this belonged to fiction or science fiction. If anything it sounds most like magical realism, so I'm sharing it here: The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo is $1.99 at Amazon.

It's her first novel, so clearly I haven't read anything by her. But this book sounds very intruiging.

Quote:
Choo’s remarkably strong and arresting first novel explores the concept of Chinese spirit marriages in late-nineteenth-century Malaya through the eyes of the highly relatable Li Lan, a poor but spunky young woman, who is approached by the wealthy family of a dead man to become his bride. Li Lan prefers to rebuff the unusual offer despite its implications of good social standing and financial rescue for her money-strapped family.

But when her dreams are brusquely invaded by the rather unsavory dead man, Lim Tian Ching, she realizes she may already be in over her head. Her dead suitor’s living cousin, Tian Bai, now the family heir, further complicates matters as Li Lan wrestles with her very real attraction to him.

As the angry ghost becomes more possessive in her dreams, and his family more demanding that she marry him, Li Lan’s involvement with the Lim family becomes even murkier and potentially dangerous. With its gripping tangles of plot and engaging characters, this truly compelling read is sure to garner much well-deserved attention.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:43 AM   #457
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Ryunosuke Akutagawa's Rashomon and Other Stories is only $0.99 at Amazon. Ironically, the landmark Kurosawa film Rashomon is based on not the title story, but another story in this book: In A Grove.

Quote:
Widely acknowledged as "the father of the Japanese short story," Ryunosuke Akutagawa remains one of the most influential Japanese writers of all time. Rashomon and Other Stories, a collection of his most celebrated work, resonates as strongly today as when it first published a century ago.

This volume includes:
  • In a Grove: An iconic, contradictory tale of the murder of a samurai in a forest near Kyoto told through three varying accounts
  • Rashomon: A masterless samurai contemplates following a life of crime as he encounters an old woman at the old Rashomon gate outside Kyoto
  • Yam Gruel: A low-ranking court official laments his position all the while yearning for his favorite, yet humble, dish
  • The Martyr: Set in Japan's Christian missionary era, a young boy is excommunicated for fathering an illegitimate child, but not all is as it seems
  • Kesa and Morito: An adulterous couple plots to kill the woman's husband as the situation threatens to spin out of control
  • The Dragon: A priest concocts a prank involving a dragon, but the tall tale begins to take on a life of its own
With a new foreward by noted Akutagawa scholar Seiji Lippit, this updated version of a classic collection is a an excellent, readable introduction to Japanese literature.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:50 AM   #458
SpaceCowboy1964
SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: NOOKcolor, NOOK for Android app, Kindle for PC app, Kindle for Android
I'm assuming this is the best thread for this one:

The COMPLETE Jeeves and Wooster series:

https://www.amazon.com/Jeeves-Wooste...words=e-artnow $.00
SpaceCowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #459
Gardenman
Fanatic
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, iRiver Story HD - Gave to Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy1964 View Post

Thanks for the post I picked it up
Gardenman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:44 PM   #460
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 4 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I did too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:17 AM   #461
SpaceCowboy1964
SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.SpaceCowboy1964 can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: NOOKcolor, NOOK for Android app, Kindle for PC app, Kindle for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy1964 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I did too.
Apache
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Thanks for the post I picked it up
Thanks I have been going through the books from publisher "e-artnow" and they have some good ones. That was the first one I thought I'd try posting here. I had been looking for copies of those books myself so I figured people here might have been as well.
SpaceCowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #462
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab A (2017)
One of my favourite Swedish books, The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared was made into a decent movie, and is now on sale at Amazon.com for $2.99; likely to prime the pump for the sequel, due to be released soon.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:47 PM   #463
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
e-artnow free

A Lady of Quality & His Grace of Osmonde: Victorian Romance Novels by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Emily Fox-Seton: Victorian Romance Novel
by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Head of the House of Coombe & Robin: Historical Novels by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Shuttle: Historical Novel by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Secret Garden, A Little Princess & Little Lord Fauntleroy (Illustrated): Three Wonderful Children's Classics by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Good Wolf: Including Barty Crusoe and His Man Saturday by Frances Hodgson Burnett

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...sher=e-artnow*

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...sher=e-artnow*

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...sher=e-artnow*
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM   #464
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

The first book of Conn Iggulden's historical fiction series about Genghis Khan is on sale for $0.99 at Amazon: Genghis: Birth of an Empire

Quote:
Genghis Khan was born Temujin, the son of a khan, raised in a clan of hunters migrating across the rugged steppe. Shaped by abandonment and betrayal, Temujin endured, driven by a singular fury: to survive in the face of death, to kill before being killed, and to conquer enemies who could come without warning from beyond the horizon.

Through a series of courageous raids, Temujin’s legend grew until he was chasing a vision: to unite many tribes into one, to make the earth tremble under the hoofbeats of a thousand warhorses, to subject all nations and empires to his will.
I haven't read this series, but I very much enjoyed his series on Julius Caesar, Emperor.
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM   #465
rrrlakin
shu-shu
rrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: two Astak PP
Now 99c

but the link points to other still-free books as well, sf by Randall Garrett,
a bunch of Wodehouse, Sabatini, etc.

rrrlakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
e-artnow free

A Lady of Quality & His Grace of Osmonde: Victorian Romance Novels by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Emily Fox-Seton: Via buncch octorian Romance Novel
by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Head of the House of Coombe & Robin: Historical Novels by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Shuttle: Historical Novel by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Secret Garden, A Little Princess & Little Lord Fauntleroy (Illustrated): Three Wonderful Children's Classics by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Good Wolf: Including Barty Crusoe and His Man Saturday by Frances Hodgson Burnett

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...sher=e-artnow*

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...sher=e-artnow*

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...sher=e-artnow*
rrrlakin is offline   Reply With Quote