Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #361
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Nook Glowlight 3
Took a chance on a horror novel, Followed Home by Andre Gonzalez, on sale for $0.99.

Quote:
At a remote mountain cabin, Kyle and his friends are confronted with a horror that’s been hidden for years — and when they return home, something follows close behind…

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-04-2019 at 01:00 PM.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:47 AM   #362
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Letters to the Damned (which I've mentioned here before) is free at Smashwords year end sale.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/874264
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #363
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An author I've been following, Doug Lamoreux, has a number of his books listed for free.

They are (in order of interest to me):

Dracula's Demeter
Quote:
In his classic 'Dracula', with a few cryptic entries in an unnamed captain's journal, Bram Stoker offered hints of the voyage that brought the vampire king from his homeland to a blood-rich London.

Now, the whole mind-rending tale is told.

July, 1897. The Demeter sets sail from Varna. A month later in the middle of a raging storm, the derelict schooner runs aground in Whitby.

What happened during those fateful days? Join Doug Lamoreux, author of The Devil's Bed, for rousing sea adventure, for romance, and for terror.

Come aboard Dracula's Demeter.
The Devil's Bed
Quote:
While touring an old castle in France, Brandy Petracus finds a graveyard of Templar Knights executed for practicing black magic. Long forgotten by the world, this ancient cemetery is known to the locals as the Devil's Bed... and its occupants do not rest in peace.

Brandy finds herself the leader of an eclectic group besieged by resurrected Templar knights - craving their blood. Vampirism, dark humor and flashbacks to 14th century Paris tell Brandy's story of commitment and sacrifice, as she is forced to hole up in an ancient chapel with her friends and fight for survival.

But the Devil's Bed has yet to surrender all of its secrets.
(I actually paid cash money for this one previously)

Apparition Lake
Quote:
After gruesome deaths occur in Yellowstone, everyone believes that a monstrous grizzly bear is on a rampage. Scientific evidence suggests another terrifying conclusion.

For Chief Ranger Glenn Merrill, putting an end to the mysterious deaths is more than just his job; it is a mission that will take him to the brink of death and shatter the foundation of his beliefs.

Apparition Lake plunges Glenn, his full-blooded Shoshone friend Johnny Two Ravens, and Jennifer Davies, an aggressive young biologist, into a world of Indian mysticism where mankind and nature struggle for control of Mother Earth.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #364
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3G, Voyage WiFi;FireHD; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
^ Try "Seven for the Slab: A Horror Portmanteau," which is a wonderfully atmospheric and creepy selection of his short stories with a nice frame.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-04-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: edited for full title
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #365
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^ Try "Seven for the Slab," which is a wonderfully atmospheric and creepy selection of his short stories with a nice frame.
Ah, bummer! Seven For The Slab was free or cheap just recently. But the tagline 'A Horror Portmanteau' led me to believe it was a book like Naked Came the Stranger, where each chapter was picked up by a new author.

I'll pay more attention next time it comes up.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #366
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Robert McCammon's Gone South is $1.99 at Amazon. Though he's known as a horror writer, this is a thriller. But still thought I'd share here.

Quote:
Two decades after he finished serving his country in the jungles of Southeast Asia, Dan Lambert still pays the price. As he hustles for construction work in the heat of a brutal Louisiana summer, Dan tries to ignore the pounding in his head—a constant reminder of the Agent Orange–caused leukemia which will soon end his life. And now the bank wants to repossess his truck. His attempt to reason with the loan officer does not get him far. Dan loses himself in rage, and for a moment is back in the jungle again. When he comes out of his bloodlust, he has shot the banker through the chest. There is nothing to do but run.

On his trail are two peculiar bounty hunters: a onetime Siamese twin and a heavyset Elvis impersonator. To save his own life, Dan is going to have to remember why it was worth living in the first place.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #367
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House is $1.99 at Amazon.

Quote:
First published in 1959, Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House has been hailed as a perfect work of unnerving terror. It is the story of four seekers who arrive at a notoriously unfriendly pile called Hill House: Dr. Montague, an occult scholar looking for solid evidence of a “haunting”; Theodora, his lighthearted assistant; Eleanor, a friendless, fragile young woman well acquainted with poltergeists; and Luke, the future heir of Hill House. At first, their stay seems destined to be merely a spooky encounter with inexplicable phenomena. But Hill House is gathering its powers—and soon it will choose one of them to make its own.
The Netflix adaptation has been on my "must watch" list for a while now.

The old Ray Wise adaptation, The Haunting is worth checking out. Just avoid that Catherin Zeta Jones disaster.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #368
radbaddude
Connoisseur
radbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Lee Thomas' Distortion is on sale for 0.99c right now. Think its horror/thriller?

https://www.amazon.com/Distortion-Le.../dp/1590213572
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #369
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by radbaddude View Post
Lee Thomas' Distortion is on sale for 0.99c right now. Think its horror/thriller?

https://www.amazon.com/Distortion-Le.../dp/1590213572
Have you read the book? For $0.99, I don't mind giving it a spin and a horror novel with a gay lead character would be a nice change.

But is he going to meet the gruff detective who isn't out yet and the book becomes a romance?

edit: Eh, $0.99. I bought it.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #370
radbaddude
Connoisseur
radbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melonradbaddude knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Have you read the book? For $0.99, I don't mind giving it a spin and a horror novel with a gay lead character would be a nice change.

But is he going to meet the gruff detective who isn't out yet and the book becomes a romance?

edit: Eh, $0.99. I bought it.
No but I recently read his book 'Down on your knees'. I enjoyed it. Pretty gritty, violent. Knew Distortion had come out recently and surprised to see it at $0.99.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #371
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Ira Levin's 50th Anniversary edition of Rosemary's Baby is $1.99 at Amazon

Quote:
Rosemary Woodhouse and her struggling actor husband Guy move into the Bramford, an old New York City apartment building with an ominous reputation and mostly elderly residents. Neighbors Roman and Minnie Castavet soon come nosing around to welcome the Woodhouses to the building, and despite Rosemary's reservations about their eccentricity and the weird noises that she keeps hearing, her husband takes a shine to them.

Shortly after Guy lands a plum Broadway role, Rosemary becomes pregnant—and the Castavets start taking a special interest in her welfare. As the sickened Rosemary becomes increasingly isolated, she begins to suspect that the Castavets' circle is not what it seems...
Old 01-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #372
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of my favorite Horror writers Richard Laymon ["Teenage-Angst-Lust-And-Horror"] has about 15 or so titles available to read for free IF you are member of KINDLE UNLIMITED.

I'm a member and have read most of them, but I just now picked up 10 titles to re-read.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #373
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
One of my favorite Horror writers Richard Laymon ["Teenage-Angst-Lust-And-Horror"] has about 15 or so titles available to read for free IF you are member of KINDLE UNLIMITED.

I'm a member and have read most of them, but I just now picked up 10 titles to re-read.
Free is better than cheap, but his books do go on sale fairly often as well. I'm not a member of KU, but I've picked lots of them up on the cheap.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:46 PM   #374
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Free is better than cheap, but his books do go on sale fairly often as well. I'm not a member of KU, but I've picked lots of them up on the cheap.
That's also how I picked up some of them.

[Brag]:
In my collection [U.S.A.] I have two copies in paper of "The Cellar," one of which is an "Advance Reader's Edition."
Old 01-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #375
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
[Brag]:
In my collection [U.S.A.] I have two copies in paper of "The Cellar," one of which is an "Advance Reader's Edition."
The Cellar from Leisure books? Or the original? (Wow, I didn't know The Cellar was published in hardcover. Laymon's work screams paperback original.)