Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
bert501
Connoisseur
bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Audio Book Device

Hope this is the correct place to post this!

I got my Kindle SFO with the Audible membership so I could share with my brother-he listens to them in the truck when he's on the road. So a win-win for both of us.

Turns out my 10 yr old also LOVES audiobooks so now I have a problem. What in the world do I buy him so he can listen to the darn things? I figured out how to get audio books on my Kindle but lending it to him ain't happening!

Lil Brother Trucker does some kind of 'magic' with his android phone to download? or whatever but that is also NOT an option for dear son!

We have some old MP3 players but they seem to scramble things around and by the time we figure out which button to push the batteries are dead.

He gets Playaway audio books from the library and they have BIG easy to read & push buttons. Is there some type of player that is similar on the ease of use & battery life?

Hate to be old & dumb but somehow I've been left out of the loop on this particular technology. Son says an iPad is actually the best solution and would be perfect for his audio book listening experience!

Thanks for any help or ideas!!
bert501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
A ten-year old? I'd get him an iPod. Doesn't have to be a touch. A Nano or Classic would be fine.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
A Sansa clip+ is about $35 and handles Audible books fine -- downloaded library books, too!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Yeah, iPods have support for audible.

here is a list of supported devices.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Sansa clip+ gets great reviews on here. Ipod nano works great.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Another vote for the sansa clip. There are three generations out there. The clip, the clip + and now the clip zip. ALL are affordable. I have had mine for 2.5 years and it still works great. Under 50 bucks its a steal. If he breaks it no biggie.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Another vote for Sansa Clip + ! No fiddling with itunes, just drag and drop files onto your player. Set player to msc mode, keep audio books in folders, choose the audio book through folder browser. Easy peasy!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Definitely go with the Sansa Clip+ because:
  • inexpensive - $35 at Amazon
  • highly rated by most tech review sites
  • small w/ built-in clip (no need for a case)
  • expandable memory (mSD card slot)
  • FM radio w/ recorder
  • voice recorder
It also supports multiple formats - MP3, WMA, secure WMA, Audible, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis. It will also play audiobooks, podcasts, and most music subscription services like Rhapsody.

In terms of audiobooks, it will play MP3 audiobooks, WMA audiobooks, and Audible audiobooks. Libraries generally have both MP3 and WMA, with WMA being the dominant format by a wide margin.

The one format the Clip+ won't handle is AAC (iPods use this). Sansa just released an updated Clip. It's called the Clip Zip and it added AAC support, easier access for audiobooks and podcasts, and a tiny color display for album covers. Everything else remains the same. It's selling at full retail; so it'll cost you $50, instead of $35 for the Clip+.

I currently own 2 Clip+s and they're my favorite gadget. I carry one with me everywhere I go. It'll easily fit in the coin pocket of a pair of jeans. When I want to listen to it, I just clip it to my shirt.

I highly recommend this player
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I used different Sansa models for Audible files. They worked great and were very easy to use.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
Yet another vote for the Sansa. It has been a real pleasure to use.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
bert501
Connoisseur
bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks!

He came home today raving about the 'perfect' device-a Sansa Clip Zip one of the kids had and for me to delete my question here since he had 'already figured it out, mom!' lol Thanks for all the responses-this is a great community!
bert501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:00 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert501 View Post
He came home today raving about the 'perfect' device-a Sansa Clip Zip one of the kids had and for me to delete my question here since he had 'already figured it out, mom!' lol Thanks for all the responses-this is a great community!
You're welcome; and he'll love it.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a Clip Zip myself. I want to check out the new folder organization for audiobooks.

If you have any questions along the way, feel free to pop in and ask.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I was curious about that myself!

My Cowon D2 displays book covers, which is very nice, although I find I usually need to re-size the jpeg before transferring Overdrive books.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
glendalekid
Connoisseur
glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505
I love my Sansa Fuze. One of my cats chewed my cord (which is proprietary), but they are cheap on eBay - $3.95 for a new one, including shipping.

However, maybe it's because I'm an old person and don't really understand this new technology, but I had a problem with getting the different parts to play in the correct order. So, I strip the DRM and use a program to convert each book into one file.
glendalekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #15
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Now I know what to get too! I just threw out my iPod (bad battery) and I was eyeballing those Sansa players--I've deleted iTunes and switched to Songbird (it runs faster) and I was looking for a reliable, non-Apple solution.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote