Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Why you should dump your publisher

Last week I read (outside MR) about 4 collaborating author's who wrote a book together and published it themselves. DRACULAS or similar. Can someone give me a link to their story about the financial reasons they bi-passed their original publishers to publish direct themselves. It was exactly what I need to present to my employer.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Possibly this article by J A Konrath (one of the four authors) in the Huffington Post?

eBooks And The Ease Of Self-Publishing

- Donna
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bingo! I love this site/forum.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke

Thankyou, the site won't let me give you more karma yet. But I'll be watching.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Heh! Not a problem. I've learned a lot, lurking on these forums. Just nice to be able to give something back now and then.

- Donna
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Joe Konrath inspired me to get my digital rights back from my publisher. Now I'm actually making some money. That's all the reason I need.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
If you're already published and have a following, self-publishing your backlist (especially electronically) will absolutely make you more money. It's a no-brainer. You may not sell as many copies of each book as you might in mainstream publication, but you make so much more that it more than outweighs it.

The catch is this only works if people are already looking for your books.

First novels by new unknown writers aren't as likely to do as well, because no one knows they exist.

In other words, dumping your publisher only works if you've already got one. Not having one in the first place doesn't necessarily provide the same benefits.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Last week I read (outside MR) about 4 collaborating author's who wrote a book together and published it themselves. DRACULAS or similar. Can someone give me a link to their story about the financial reasons they bi-passed their original publishers to publish direct themselves. It was exactly what I need to present to my employer.
If you want to spend some more time digging for information, his blog posts from the last two years might be very relevant: http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I was one of the proof readers for that, so it will also be one of the very few ebooks that isn't full of mistakes.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
Joe Konrath inspired me to get my digital rights back from my publisher. Now I'm actually making some money. That's all the reason I need.
L.J.
How did you get your digital rights back. Our publisher says eBooks MUST go through them.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wannabee, I had a small publisher, so no lawyers were involved. Just me begging to be released. I also forfeited future print contracts, but I can live with that.
L.J.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
I also forfeited future print contracts, but I can live with that.
L.J.
Does that mean you will self publish ebooks only now? no more paper books!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #13
L.J. Sellers
Novelist

I meant withdrawing from print contracts with that publisher. I'm self-publishing print versions through CreateSpace, but I'm not concerned about how many print copies I sell. And I no longer waste my time promoting to bookstores. It's very liberating. Especially the part about being able to make my house payment. I was laid off my newspaper job earlier this year and had to make some bold moves. Going indie was the smartest thing I've ever done.
L.J.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 AM   #14
wannabee
Media Bloke

That's very positive. I have a couple of questions for you and anyone else that is self publishing if you don't mind.

1/ Did you use an aggregator to get your books out or did you open the accounts and upload them yourself?

2/ Did you get a choice to have DRM or not?

3/ What was the most difficult part of getting your books online?

I'll probably be doing this in the not too distant future although from abroad.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #15
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
If you're already published and have a following, self-publishing your backlist (especially electronically) will absolutely make you more money. It's a no-brainer. You may not sell as many copies of each book as you might in mainstream publication, but you make so much more that it more than outweighs it.
That's the folklore. Do not assume that it works in all cases. It doesn't.

It may depend to some degree on the type and genre of the book, as well as other factors.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote