Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #1
Irishsea
Irishsea began at the beginning.

Device: None
Looking for cheapest alternative

Hi everyone,

I am not new to ebooks, I actually started reading my first ones way back when on a Dell axim x51 to an iPod to a Kindle DX to a Kindle fire to my phone as I enjoyed Google play books and the portability.

But now my partner is saying I am over stimulated at night by the light etc as I don't sleep well. So is insisting if I am going to refuse to read real books I go back to eink.

My question is, what's the best cheapest ( I don't care about age ) reader. I like epubs as most my formats already in them. I need older as if if break it is don't want to be out much as it will be thrown in my backpack before getting on the motorcycle to go to work. I was looking at the older Sony readers. Page turns don't bother me really as I read that could be a problem.

Is there a reader that would have software I could download straight from my phone to it via WiFi or Bluetooth? But mostly this is being lazy lol and not a must have.

Cheap in the UK really and able to handle some minor knocks in a case. Another reason for cheap is I rider year round and well I do my best to be waterproof but if it does from water I don't want to be out a lot.

Any recommendations?

I kill about 2 phones a year soooo lol
Irishsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
get used on ebay or some local equivalent. a nook or a sony or a kindle. the sony t1's are dodgy. they get slow for no reason. sony 650 is okay, but dont get a 600 (bad screen). i think all the kindles and kobos are ok. careful of a used nook glowlight as probably the light will be damaged. also a new kindle basic is a possibility. then get a hard tupperware box and put it inside.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Get one without a light so your partner can't blame the light for you not sleeping.
I don't think it is an over-stimulating light that is causing your sleep problems.
Try separate sheets. We both sleep better since doing that.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Don't get a reader without a light. You will regret it.

The current model Nook Glowlight Plus and both generations of the Kobo Aura H2O are waterproof and handle ePub. I like Kobo's software better than the Nook, but my better half has been reaing on an older Glowlight for years without complaint. Try looking for either on eBay.

Whatever reader you buy you will likely need to move the books from your phone to your device via Calibre.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #5
Irishsea
Irishsea began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

The current model Nook Glowlight Plus and both generations of the Kobo Aura H2O are waterproof and handle ePub. I like Kobo's software better than the Nook, but my better half has been reaing on an older Glowlight for years without complaint. Try looking for either on eBay.

Whatever reader you buy you will likely need to move the books from your phone to your device via Calibre.
Thanks but a quick look those are all £100+ on eBay. So not the cheapest alternative. I've about 10gb of books on Dropbox, so not worried really.
Irishsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
get used on ebay or some local equivalent. a nook or a sony or a kindle. the sony t1's are dodgy. they get slow for no reason. sony 650 is okay, but dont get a 600 (bad screen). i think all the kindles and kobos are ok. careful of a used nook glowlight as probably the light will be damaged. also a new kindle basic is a possibility. then get a hard tupperware box and put it inside.
The OP wants ePub, so Kindles are out. Sony Readers are not up-to-date enough and slow so they are out. I have a 650 and it's no where good enough these days. I also have a T1 and it's better, but stillnot good enough. nook, hell no. The Glowlight Plus is not all that good. The STR is awful and the Glowlight light layer scratches too easily and is also awful.

If the OP is in the USA, the best choice (IMHO) is the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2. It handles ePub, has a front light, and is waterproof. As for the light, you can adjust the level of the blue light so if it is the blue light causing your sleep problem, this will help. But, it's not cheap cheap. But it's worth it. Also, a case is needed for it.

Here a link to the H2O on Argos. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7507094

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-07-2017 at 04:36 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The nook Glowlight Plus does not show up as a removable drive when connected to the computer. It's a pain-in-the-ass. I have a nook STR and it's a POS. The UI is awful and the split memory is just stupid. The Glowlight is just as bad as the STR excpet for the light. The Glowlight Plus doesn't have divided memory, but it's just not all that good (IMHO). I don't know how the software is on the Glowlight Plus, but on the previous nooks, the font rendering was terrible.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the OP is in the USA,
The OP is in the UK.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The OP is in the UK.
That's what I get for reading too fast. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The nook Glowlight Plus does not show up as a removable drive when connected to the computer. It's a pain-in-the-ass. I have a nook STR and it's a POS. The UI is awful and the split memory is just stupid. The Glowlight is just as bad as the STR excpet for the light. The Glowlight Plus doesn't have divided memory, but it's just not all that good (IMHO). I don't know how the software is on the Glowlight Plus, but on the previous nooks, the font rendering was terrible.
Yes, yes. Your anti-Nook rants are predictable. I and many others disagree with you. You forget, what you are sharing are opinions, not facts.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsea View Post
Thanks but a quick look those are all £100+ on eBay. So not the cheapest alternative. I've about 10gb of books on Dropbox, so not worried really.
Try looking on eBay for an original Aura. When I bought mine refurbs were readily available for $50 (US). Not sure what the availability is in the UK.

The Aura is a great little reader. I recommended the H2O because it is waterproof.

Whatever reader you wind up with, take good care of it. The screens are fragile and it sounds like yours will take some abuse. The Tupperware suggestion seemed silly, but it's probably a good idea.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

I just checked ebay.co.uk and the same seller I bought my refurbished Aura from has them listed for about 43 pounds. I and several other users here have bought from this seller: Kobo Aura
Old 09-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
To the OP: an idea of your budget would lead to better recommendations.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, yes. Your anti-Nook rants are predictable. I and many others disagree with you. You forget, what you are sharing are opinions, not facts.
I have a nook STR. I know for a fact it's crap. The Glowlight based on the STR is also crap. The Glowlight Plus is not so easy to use because it doesn't mount as a removable drive. I don't know how the software is, but on the previous models, the font rendering was awful. Also, the hyphenation was was to aggressive.

How is the software on the Glowlight Plus better than on the previous two models?
Old 09-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I have a nook STR. I know for a fact it's crap. The Glowlight based on the STR is also crap.
I have a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight and I know for a fact it's not crap. In fact, I prefer the way the Nook ST feels in my hand compared to the Aura.

Quote:
The Glowlight Plus is not so easy to use because it doesn't mount as a removable drive.
If it connects to Calibre, does it really matter?

Quote:
I don't know how the software is, but on the previous models, the font rendering was awful. Also, the hyphenation was was to aggressive.
I disagree. I never had to install a custom hyphenation dictionary to make my Nook look good. I did with my Aura. I installed yours, in fact. So I guess it's safe to say that Kobo's hyphenation is awful?

Sorry everyone else. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-07-2017 at 10:54 PM.