Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 06-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
mendhak
mendhak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Fix for Google Drive paths and Calibre

Google Drive keeps breaking Calibre's paths due to its parentheses fussiness.

I've written a Python script here

https://github.com/mendhak/calibre-gdrive-fix

which fixes the paths that Google Drive breaks. It should work as long as you have Python 2.5+.

I've only tested this on Ubuntu 14.04 with Python 2.7. If this works/doesn't work for you in other OSes please leave feedback or fixes.

See the README on github for info and instructions.

I am aware of this thread, however that is a .NET solution and I don't have .NET/Windows. I'm using a similar script as part of my initial machine setup script for automation.

Last edited by mendhak; 06-02-2014 at 05:10 PM.
mendhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Thank you.

I updated the Warning sticky post with a link to this thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
Just I have tested compatibility of Google Drive and Calibre - found it works (now). Maybe I do not quite understand the whole issue or Google has changed something.

I uploaded individual files (single books) or entire folders (e.g. total author collections) to Drive, then deleted these on my laptop (not just from caliber away) and downloaded them from Drive back. The files/folders come .zip compressed and you have to unpack them.

This all works very quickly an easily, after adding to caliber you may read, edit book and metadata etc. as usual.

Please check by yourself and possibly edit the Warning sticky post.

Last edited by chaot; 11-17-2014 at 07:55 AM.
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post
Just I have tested compatibility of Google Drive and Calibre - found it works (now). Maybe I do not quite understand the whole issue or Google has changed something.

I uploaded individual files (single books) or entire folders (e.g. total author collections) to Drive, then deleted these on my laptop (not just from caliber away) and downloaded them from Drive back. The files/folders come .zip compressed and you have to unpack them.

This all works very quickly an easily, after adding to caliber you may read, edit book and metadata etc. as usual.
I don't have the time to test G drive, but what you describe was never a problem.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post
The problem came when you stored your Calibre library in Google Drive and let Google Drive attempt to sync the library between two machines. What was happening was that the sync process was mangling the part of the book's folder name that was in brackets (the Calibre id field). As far as I know this problem is stioll there.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #6
ligelowbee
ligelowbee will become famous soon enoughligelowbee will become famous soon enoughligelowbee will become famous soon enoughligelowbee will become famous soon enoughligelowbee will become famous soon enoughligelowbee will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Update for the linux folk.
I've been testing out the command line Drive client (written by a google drive developer). Seems to be working well.
What I've tested:
-Created a "~/gDrive" directory, changed into it and did a "drive init"
-Copied "calibre" library directory into "~/gDrive" directory
-Then did a "drive push calibre" inside the "~/gDrive" directory. "calibre" folder and sub-folders successfully uploaded to Google Drive with no apparent mangling of directory names with parenthesis.
-Opened calibre, switched to using "~/gDrive/calibre" copy as my library. Deleted a bunch of books.
-Closed calibre and inside the "~/gDrive" directory did a "drive pull calibre". Deleted directories and files were restored from Google Drive copy.
-Opened calibre and the restored files were back in the database and accessible.

So far so good.
ligelowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Expect it to break at some point with zero warning.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote