Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #1
benkuttner
benkuttner began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quotation marks - "" to “”.

Hi,

I've read some of the threads relating to quotation marks from 2013 and could not find a definitive answer.

I have these kind of quotation marks "".

I'm after more interesting quotation marks “”.

I'm at the point in editing my ebook in Sigil where a simple CSS code would be perfect, rather than find and replacing "" to “” in every chapter.

Is this possible? Or are there no easy fixes for this?

Thanks in advance!
benkuttner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem you are going to have is you will need to read the entire book to make sure you've converted the quotes and apostrophes correctly.

You can install a plugin for Sigil to do the conversion for you. It's called Smarten Punctuation plugin.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=247088
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
benkuttner
benkuttner began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for that. Have you used the plugin before? I'd probably still read it after using the plugin to be sure...
benkuttner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The plugin uses the SmartyPants algorithm. It will not handle every, single edge-case scenario, but it will handle most common situations. The point is that any totally hands-off automated quotation-smartening process can be tricked. You'll want to proof the results carefully.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I still stand by what I said last year when Smart Quotes were brought up:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...21#post3290621

#1: Run through Diap's Smarten Punctuation.
#2: Run some Regex to check for a few common errors (‘em ‘til ‘twas -> ’em ’til ’twas + wrong quotes around em dashes).
#3 (Optional): Run through Toxaris's Dialogue Check. (This is BY FAR the most effective way to catch lingering quotation mark issues.)
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I asked this question on this forum a while ago, and some kind soul gave me a clip that did the job. Alas, it's not on my travel notebook, so I can't paste it here, but likely a search would turn up that thread.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
#3 (Optional): Run through Toxaris's Dialogue Check. (This is BY FAR the most effective way to catch lingering quotation mark issues.)
Where is this? Doesn’t seem to be in the Sigil plug-in index, or anywhere else obvious.
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsalomon View Post
Where is this? Doesn’t seem to be in the Sigil plug-in index, or anywhere else obvious.
It's Toxaris's Microsoft Word plugin: "ePUB Tools"

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=213372

It has a button called "Dialogue Check", which is by far the best (and most thorough) tool I've used for quotation mark correction.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:38 AM   #9
Steadyhands
Connoisseur
Steadyhands began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
I use this to fix words that have been shortened.

Quote:
[ ]?‘(?i)(\d\d|ad[nta]{0,2}|app[yines]{0,5}|appen[eds]{0,2}|alf|ard[er]{0,2}|arf|arm|alf|ang[edingman]{0,3}|andsome|andle[ding]{0,3}|av[eing]{0,4}|bout|bye|cause|cept[ing]{0,3}|copter[s]{0,1}|cos|cross|cuz|course|d|e[emr]{0,1}|ea[singd]{1,4}|eartie[s]{0,1}|ell|elp[edling]{0,5}|ere[abouts]{0,6}|er[self]{0,4}|eard|f|fraid|fore|ford|isself|id|igh[er]{0,2}|ighness|im[self]{0,5}|gain[st]{0,2}|kay|less|lectric|mongst|member|n|nd|night|ne ath|nough|nother|nuff|o[o]{0,1}|old|ood|ome|ow|op[eding]{0,3}|ole|ot|oney|orse[flesh]{0,5}|ouse[ds]{0,1}|pon|puter[eds]{0,2}|prentice|r|round|s|scuse[ds]{0,1}|spect[sed]{0,2}|scaped|sides|splain[eding]{0,3}|special[ly]{0,2}(?!\’)|splosion|stead|t|taint|til|tis[n]{0,1}|twas[n]{0,1}|tween|twere[n]{0,1}|twon|twou[ldn]{1,3}|twill|ud|un|undred|urt[s]{0,1}|vise|way)([\p{P}|\s])
Replace with

Quote:
’\1\2
It can be a little too greedy at times and get words you don't want, usually with shortened words that are a word themselves i.e. member could be either remember shortened to ’member or just member. What the original was makes a difference. I've tried to make it as universal as possible, i.e. appen[eds]{0,2} will do ’appen, ’appened, ’appens.

Open to suggestions also.
Steadyhands is offline   Reply With Quote