Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Polish epub but keep date

That is, the date I created the epub.

Is this possible? It's not a biggie, I know, but I'd like to keep track of when I originally created the epub (if that makes sense).

thanks!
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
{date} (the date that the Entry was created), is the only standard field that will not change (unless you edit it). Windows will keep track a the file modified date. Polish changes the file
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I said, it's not a biggie but...geez, I don't want the "fix ups" to come to the top of the list (I view Calibre by date added). Yep, polish changes the date - which is sort of logical if you think about it.

Logic. Who needs it, right?

Edited to add: You know you're seriously besotted with a software program when this sort of issue is your most pressing

Last edited by skb; 11-29-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Because I'm besotted.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@skb - I disagree - what you describe as 'logical'. seems 'bizarre' to me.

When I Polish an EPUB:
  • the 'timestamp/Date' built in column does not change;
  • the 'last_modified/Modified' built in column does change;
  • the 'Date created' file property does not change;
  • the 'Date modified' file property does change.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:37 PM   #5
skb
Evangelist

I am, as they say, having a shocker.

@BR you're right. I just tested it and...the date created doesn't change.

Well, that's embarrassing. sheesh.

Now I have to figure out how I managed to confuse myself so comprehensively. Oy.

Thank you both!
Advert
Old 11-30-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
When I Polish an EPUB:
  • the 'timestamp/Date' built in column does not change;
  • the 'last_modified/Modified' built in column does change;
  • the 'Date created' file property does not change;
  • the 'Date modified' file property does change.
It's nice that you could translate theducks shorthand (which says the same thing) into something the OP was able to grasp. It's great to have more than one person willing to assist when needed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
[/LIST]It's nice that you could translate theducks shorthand (which says the same thing) into something the OP was able to grasp. It's great to have more than one person willing to assist when needed.
Guilty of being overly terse.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:48 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
[/LIST]It's nice that you could translate theducks shorthand (which says the same thing) into something the OP was able to grasp. It's great to have more than one person willing to assist when needed.
Sorry, I didn't translate theducks; I'm not a very good mind reader, and I'm easily baffled by obscure semantics and convoluted syntax

Nay, what caught my eye was the OP's claim that Polishing changed the "Date", and that he/she had convinced themselves that such behaviour was 'logical'. That didn't ring true in my eyes

Given I don't use Polish or calibre's built-in dates, I thought it best to Polish an EPUB and report what I saw.

BR
Old 12-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
skb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Guilty of being overly terse.
Not at all.

I appreciate the time people take to answer a question for me (especially when I so comprehensively got the wrong end of the stick/date...whatever).

I've done software support in my previous life and I can say that everyone is unfailingly (is that a word) helpful. Even when provoked

Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
I appreciate the time people take to answer a question for me (especially when I so comprehensively got the wrong end of the stick/date...whatever).
It wasn't that you picked up the wrong end, it was that you picked up only one of four sticks.

With computer files there is no such thing as "the date", there are severa "dates", at least 2; created and modified. Apps like calibre often add additional "dates" to the mix.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
. . . everyone is unfailingly (is that a word) . . .
yes, and it's been around for a goodly while

BR
Old 12-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #12
skb
Evangelist

"goodly" is that a...never mind.