Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-26-2017, 12:42 AM   #1
rupeshforu3
rupeshforu3 will become famous soon enoughrupeshforu3 will become famous soon enoughrupeshforu3 will become famous soon enoughrupeshforu3 will become famous soon enoughrupeshforu3 will become famous soon enoughrupeshforu3 will become famous soon enough

Device: lenovo a3000
Best document format for reading with smallest file size.

Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have the habit of reading ebooks on android tab. I am having upto 25 GB of PDF books.

I have downloaded the PDF books legally and with the permission of site owner if you don't trust me I am ready to provide it's address.

Previously I have downloaded a djvu file of size 7 mb from some web site and at that time I can't find any reader for opening and reading it so I have converted it to PDF and surprisingly the PDF file generated was 300 mb.

Upon analyzing the above anyone can say that there is another format for document reading with lowest file size.

Upon compressing to another format I think that total size of files may be reduced to 5 to 6 GB.

Actually the PDF files I have consists of scanned images from a text book. I think that djvu is the best format for storing scanned images at lowest file size.

If you know any other format for document reading with smallest file size please suggest it and also the software which converts PDF to it. If you think djvu is the best please suggest a converter which converts in batch from PDF to djvu.

Regards,
Rupesh.
rupeshforu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The 300MB version probably uses no or little compression of the images. You can compress images in PDF documents in various ways. If your application supports them, using JBIG/JPEG-2000 compression can bring the PDF size down substantially. Try using the pdfbeads application to create PDF files from images; it is usually quite good at reducing the size.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Forget it. Converting from PDF is going to be a hell of a mess and it's going to be not easy to clean up this mess. 25 PDF is not worth converting from. Just go to an eBookstore online and buy the ePub versions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupeshforu3 View Post
...I have the habit of reading ebooks on android tab...
...Previously I have downloaded a djvu file of size 7 mb from some web site and at that time I can't find any reader for opening and reading it so I have converted it to PDF and surprisingly the PDF file generated was 300 mb...

Upon analyzing the above anyone can say that there is another format for document reading with lowest file size...
I agree with JSWolf regarding conversion and alternative formats.

If the problem is that the material is available in djvu and you cannot find a reading app for an Android tablet, then in my experience the PocketBook app from the Google Play Store reads djvu just fine (and most other formats as well).
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
"djvu" is an intermediate, device-independent format produced by several applications, one of them being the LaTeX typesetter/compiler. There are a lot of programs available for converting djvu into pdf, but you'll (probably) need a computer for it.

Converting djvu or PDF into EPUB isn't worth it, as JSWolf says. PDF is (mostly) a fixed layout format for viewing on large screens and printing, and trying to turn it into a reflowable format is not going to end well.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I convert PDF to epub from time to time. Sometimes the results aren't good. Other times it works just fine.

One thing to check before you start is the file size of the PDF. If it's half a meg or a meg or even 2 meg it's probably text. If it's 20 or 30 meg or larger it's probably scanned images and it won't convert properly. You'll have to OCR it first and that's a long process.

Most text PDFs will convert to readable epub just fine. Sometimes I do run into problems but more often than not I get good results as long as the PDF is text.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I convert PDF to epub from time to time. Sometimes the results aren't good. Other times it works just fine.

One thing to check before you start is the file size of the PDF. If it's half a meg or a meg or even 2 meg it's probably text. If it's 20 or 30 meg or larger it's probably scanned images and it won't convert properly. You'll have to OCR it first and that's a long process.

Most text PDFs will convert to readable epub just fine. Sometimes I do run into problems but more often than not I get good results as long as the PDF is text.

Barry
It is common for scanned PDFs to have a text layer to allow searching. One way to test for this to highlight a word and try to paste it somewhere else. If the paste works, the PDF has a text layer.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
IMO a lot depends on what you want to read a file on. For reading on a PC or Mac the PDF format is versatile and the features of the Adobe reader are excellent. If you want to read on a tablet or E-Reader the choice might not be so clear and could vary depending on where you are. In the USA Kindle formats are the way to go as Kindle has the majority of the Ebook market and makes free reader apps for most common computers and devices from smart phones to computers. In other countries epub is probably the commonest format. For pure text it is hard to beat RTF or TXT files for size if you have a compatible reader or program.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
"djvu" is an intermediate, device-independent format produced by several applications, one of them being the LaTeX typesetter/compiler.
That's DVI.

DjVu is a fixed-layout format based around multiple layers of images (which may be mapped to text characters to allow searching/selection/etc) that's usually output by document scanners (OCR packages and the like).
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #10
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Thanks for the correction, sjfan.

I seem to have swapped the two formats in my head
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
FYI, the legality of a book doesn’t come from the file hosting site, but from rights of the Author/Publisher.

That aside...when I have legitimately purchased a work (or it is legitimately free) - and it’s not in the format I want...that’s when I feel just fine about availing myself of any source on the internet that has it in the format desired. Without repurchasing it.

That’s my personal ethics...not trying to bind them on anyone else. Just saying I don’t bother trying to scan books or do my own conversions when it’s fairly easy to find what I want out on the inter webs.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:47 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
FYI, the legality of a book doesn’t come from the file hosting site, but from rights of the Author/Publisher.

That aside...when I have legitimately purchased a work (or it is legitimately free) - and it’s not in the format I want...that’s when I feel just fine about availing myself of any source on the internet that has it in the format desired. Without repurchasing it.

That’s my personal ethics...not trying to bind them on anyone else. Just saying I don’t bother trying to scan books or do my own conversions when it’s fairly easy to find what I want out on the inter webs.
Can I clarify? You do mean free full time, not on sale free at Amazon. I have seen that error before. The person thought because they got it free on Amazon it was always free.
Yes: there are always free at Amazon. Quick way to tell the difference, if it is in KU, it is on sale. If it isn't, it was price matched free from usually Kobo.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 12-02-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:17 AM   #13
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
To answer the subject line, without regard for how hard it might be to do this if converting from other formats, the answer is: EPUB and drop the cover image (or replace them with very small versions), and be sure not to embed any fonts unless critical to the content. With epub the cover typically uses more space than the text, even on very long books.

If the books use internal (non-cover) images then care is needed in how you handle these. (Choosing PNG, GIF or JPG as best suits each image can make a big difference - stay away from bitmaps.)

You converted from djvu to PDF - the resulting blow out in size may suggest either a poor tool or bad choice of options. It may have generated images of the pages. Another thing that can really blow out PDF size is choosing Print optimisation options - for on-screen viewing you don't need that, even for printing it can be of dubious value. Conversion is something you have to play with until you get the compromises that best suit your purpose. ... And even so, conversion to PDF would not be my first choice for on-screen reading.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
That's DVI.
DVI is Digital Visual Interface. It's the precursor to HDMI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
DVI is Digital Visual Interface. It's the precursor to HDMI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
So what?

The device independent file extension for TeX, dvi, has been around since 1982, predating Digital Visual Interface.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device...nt_file_format
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote